PDA

View Full Version : 320 EFI Rebuild

Cuda
07-30-2003, 05:59 PM
Today my dad and I started taking apart the engine. We got all the pistons, main caps, con rod caps, bearings, crank, cam and lifers removed. I was suprise the stuff wasn't harder to get out than it was. I thought some parts would be siezed from sitting so long. Nothing we could see was in bad shape. None of the bearins were wiped out. The crank has some surface rust, the cam was the same way. The cylinders were in good shape, wouldn't even need a ridge reamer to reinstall pistons. We've put together engines in a lot worse shape than this. The next move, I'm going to have the block boiled, and the crank cleaned up. We'll mic it after that and decide if it needs turned, but I doubt it does. I'll probably replace the cam and lifters, though I bet they'd work fine.

Next on the agenda is to take the heads apart. They also look in good shape other than surface rust. We'll check out the valves and springs then make decisions on it.

We took it apart laying on a small slab outside my side door. I think my brother has an engine stand we can use to reassemble.

It felt like old times twisting wrenches with the old man! :)

Rootsy
07-30-2003, 09:23 PM
Cuda,

if you are gonna take the time and spend the money to rebuild a motor you have to do some mandatory machine work or it is all for not...

i would punch the bores (determined after measurement) and check the flatness of the deck and have it decked if necessary... also check the main saddle alignment and have it align bored if it is not straight... it is probably also a good idea to have that block magnafluxed to check for cracks (especially if the history is UNKNOWN or it has ever frozen or been hot)... also spend the money and have the rods resized... The crank will probably end up being cut... and should for safe measure... cut and lap the valves and check flatness of the cylinder heads... if they are warped either replace or have em cut flat...

i cannot emphasize enough how important a straight, square and solid foundation is...

Cuda
07-30-2003, 10:05 PM
I'm taking it to a machine shop to have it cleaned up and checked. I seriously doubt it it will need bored according to my micrometer fingers. :) I'm taking it to the same shop that just built my buddy's HP 500 after he puked it with 1 hour on it from another shop. I'm going to have them clean and check the heads too.

Cuda
07-31-2003, 02:09 PM
Ok, just got back from the machine shop after dropping off the block, heads, crank and pistons. I need to take the main caps and bolts to them also.