PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions

Cuda
07-30-2003, 07:58 AM
I've been kicking around ideas to repower the Minx. I've contemplated new or rebuil SBC, found a 351, found a couple of 454 mags and a bravo drive, all reasonable.

Last night while searching the web, I think I found the intake manifold I need to put the 320 EFI back together. I'm thinking this may be the best option to keep it as original as I can. The intake isn't cheap ($445), but neither is new engines. My dad is coming over today, and we are going to take a closer look at the original engine. If it looks salvagable, I think I'll start gathering the parts I need to reassemble it. I think the 320 will move the boat right along, without having to change outdrives or add extra weight to the boat. I did a list of parts I need, and if the engine doesn't need bored out, I can rebuild it for well under a thousand dollars.

Although we haven't done it in quite a long time, my dad and I have been putting engines together since I was 15. Another reason I'm thinking of the rebuild is my dad is getting along in the years (76) and he loves working on engines, and I'm not sure how much longer he will be physically able to do it. It may be the last father/son project we will be ever able to do together.

Anyone have any pros or cons to keeping the original engine in it?

http://www.donzi.net/photos/jgriffbasketcase.jpg

BUIZILLA
07-30-2003, 08:20 AM
Cuda, I inspected all those parts myself. I contemplated buying the deal myself, but then this 18 came along that I bought instead. I know what *I* would do, but thats just me... I know how my boat runs with an sbc and Alpha...

My opinion is far too long to discuss here.

call me if you need to. 305.592.7070

Jim

olredalert
07-30-2003, 09:02 AM
------I think I agree with Jim!Keep the original engine,even if its modified a bit.Alot of us DONZI-ites dont seem to care about that original chunk of cast iron,but there may come a day when having the original engine means a whole lot more than it does today.
------My Dad is 94 and while hes pretty healthy,about the only thing we could do together is eat,so I see exactly what you mean about the project.Build the motor even if you dont use it!
------I have a pretty vivid memory of Dale in the Minx at Sarasota flying across the bay on the way back from Gators keeping up with us in a 454 22 Classic.He didnt give up an inch.That boat ran good!!!!!!!!!!!.............Bill S

BUIZILLA
07-30-2003, 09:52 AM
Bill, the original long block assembly is 100% junk.

Now...with that being said, a new GM 355hp crate motor with the factory EFI setup re-installed and SSM manifolds would be the Mac Daddy ticket.

Then again, thats just my opinion, and it *may* change with every round of Lynchburg lemonades..

J

Cuda
07-30-2003, 10:50 AM
Bad news, the place showing that they had an intake doesn't have it. :( Back to the drawing board. The good news is the pistons don't seem to be seized in the block, I have all the main bearing caps off, and the con rods that I can get off.

BUIZILLA
07-30-2003, 11:29 AM
Cuda, your intake CAN be repaired...

J

mikev
07-30-2003, 11:35 AM
if you go with the gm efi crate motor you will need to swap out the cam i know a guy that put one in his boat and it was a dog out of the hole till about 3500 rpms. he got a marine cam for it from crane and it runs great now.

Cuda
07-30-2003, 12:54 PM
Buzilla, Dale arleady had it repaired. I am worried about it happening again. I am checking to see if I can had the intake hard anodized to keep it from happening again.
http://www.donzi.net/photos/jgriffspots.jpg