PDA

View Full Version : buyin a new sporter

Joe in NC
07-28-2003, 10:18 AM
Hello all, im new to this page and have a question to ask. Lookin at buyin a 69 sportster never bought a donzi before, and was turned on to them by my dad, who also has never owned one before. are there anythings i need to know about the engine, o/d, or anything else? it has a holman moody in it, i am told that is a ford, and not sure about the o/d, i think it is a volvo. I think these are beautiful boats, but hate goin into something without knowin what im gettin myself into. any assistance would be helpful.

thanks

mattyboy
07-28-2003, 10:29 AM
Joe,

I have a 67 16 same setup as what you're looking at
the volvo is a tough drive the ford power is fine
props might be a little hard to find but can be had.
the older boats you need to check the deck, the gas tank and the stringers all possible problem areas. if they all check out you will enjoy the boat I'm sure
welcome aboard!

Matty

EricG
07-28-2003, 01:20 PM
Welcome to the Board! You've come to the right place to ask questions...

As far as the boat you are looking at. You need to ask yourself if you are looking for a Project, or for a reliable boat that you can use immediately. I had someone check out the boat you are looking at, and he said that while it has a lot of potential, it will take quite a bit of work (and/or Money) to get it into reliable shape. I decided that wasn't in my plan for a Classic this year, but it may be yours.

Anyway if you decide to go for it, good luck. You'll find all the help you'll ever need right here on the board.

Take Care,
EG

Joe in NC
07-28-2003, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the replies so far, as far as work goes on the boat did the guy say as to anything specific? (eric g) or just old boat type repairs in the future. I have not personally gone to check out the boat yet and am reliying on pics so far to see what the boats condidtion is.

thanks again

EricG
07-28-2003, 02:29 PM
Joe....you've got mail. I hope it helps...

EG