PDA

View Full Version : trim tab mounting and tramsom beef-up

WOT-sup
07-27-2003, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the previous responces on location....continuing on with the installation.

In that my transom is not a full wood laminate across the entire width of the boat, when the tabs get mounted the hinge will be attaching to an arrea that is just fiberglass.

Figure this will need reinforsement for both load and attach reasons. Lenco supplies 1" and quarter(?) screws so that is part of the answer as to how much backing to glass in.

How have you guys set up the reinforseing??

MOP
07-29-2003, 08:46 PM
Mine and most I have seen are through bolted, the transon is hefty enough not to have to reinforce.

WOT-sup
08-06-2003, 12:09 AM
Hey M.O.P., thanks for the response. Bought the hardware today to thru-bolt and not planning on any furrther structural beefing. May get started this week.

Brad

WOT-sup
08-06-2003, 12:10 AM
Hey M.O.P., thanks for the response. Bought the hardware today to thru-bolt and not planning on any furrther structural beefing. May get started this week.

Brad

MOP
08-06-2003, 07:54 AM
WOT you can make a simple jig that helps to get the tabs set up so they are clear of the water at speed eliminating drag. Use a 1X6 board about 2 foot long, jack it firmly against the bottom of the hull so it sticks out far enought to support the assembled tab. Right at the transom put a 1/4 strip of wood at the back edge where the tab ends put a 3/4 inch strip of wood both pieces the width of the tab. Mount the ram on the tab place on jig and mark your holes. When you bolt up don't crank bolts up to hard, you will crack the glass on the inside also seal everything inside and out. When done take fairly heavy wire ground the tabs to the engine block, this helps to eliminate electrolysis, it works as good if not better than putting zincs on the tabs. It pays to use S/S star washers between the bolt heads and the tabs they will provide a good electrical contact. Many sets of tab screws or bolts have failed from electrolysis.

McGary911
08-06-2003, 12:14 PM
It's never a bad idea to fashion a backing plate. This will be stronger and avoid cracking any glass. Aluminum should work fine. Easy too.

olredalert
08-06-2003, 03:13 PM
Hey Brad,

-------Large stainless fender washers or a back-up plate(I would like to see you use stainless as you are going into salt wa-wa all the time)will strengthen the tab mounting area of the transom a bunch.MOP is right on the star washers too!
-------Hope you guys are doing great.If you happen to be in Detroit this Sat.(9th)we are getting the group together for fun and games!Would love to have some extra crew!.........Bill S

WOT-sup
08-08-2003, 12:05 AM
Good stuff, thanks for the detailed inputs guys.

Bill, no Detroit for us this weekend. Sched is quite pressed at this time. Take a raincheck though; sounds like fun. The project is coming along..it's going to be a boat one of these days, or so I keep telling myself.