PDA

View Full Version : Donzi Holy Grail

Donzi Blackhawk
07-27-2003, 09:33 AM
Ok Everyone,

Here is the question. What one Donzi would you consider to be the Holy Grail. It must be rare, unique, historical. I don't want to hear about the Blackhawks, Criterions, Testerrosa's or other well known models. It must be "THEE GRAIL"

Bryant

olredalert
07-27-2003, 09:52 AM
------Bench seat Hornet,V-drive,supercharged Daytona 427 power.Color optional.If I ever find one it wont matter a bit what color it is,but it would be great in black and white,with a candy-stripe b/w interior.Has to have the windshield..............Bill S

smoothie
07-27-2003, 10:14 AM
I would have to say the first DONZI ever made :D

Marlin275
07-27-2003, 10:39 AM
Dons 007 or 008
When Donzi was the race !

Donzi Blackhawk
07-27-2003, 11:16 AM
This is what I believe to be true about the first boats. 28 #001 is living out its life as a work boat. CDMA found this boat and said that it had been heavily modified. 16 #001 and #002 are sopposed to be lost forever. #001 burned up in a fire and #002 was destroyed. However #003 still exists. I personally saw this in 1995 at The Old Time Boat Company here in Sarasota. They were in contact with Donzi Marine about selling the boat but the price was steep. #003 needed a complete restoration but looked like all the parts were there.

Would #003 16 Classic be the Holy Grail or 28 #001? Possibly another? I think that bench seat hornets would not make the list. Cool boat but not significant enough to be called the grail!

Bryant "In search of the Grail"

mattyboy
07-27-2003, 08:52 PM
I would think the holy grail would be a boat that was around and close to Don A. For speculation sake let's say a 14 donzi that traveled with Don from Donzi to Magnum then to Cigarette just a hull and laying around the warehouse then finally finding a buyer and being labled in the mid 70's as
CRT14001
the holy grail doesn't exist in a 427 supercharged engine in a bench seat, or a 427 side oiler 18??? but some where out there on that horizon lives the hull that Don took from factory to factory til it was given a proper home

fact or fiction
you decide

Matty

mattyboy
07-27-2003, 09:18 PM
Joisey is the place to be in da summer!!!!!!

BENNY!!!!!

LOL

Donzi Blackhawk
07-27-2003, 09:27 PM
Mattyboy,

I agree, Don was known to take at times a Magnum Missle to work. If he did spend any time with his own Donzi, that would put this thread on track.

Bryant

Shanghied Again
07-28-2003, 04:03 PM
I want the old DONZI 008

Wavewalker
07-28-2003, 04:11 PM
What about the two 16's that were in A&F's New York store front the year Donzi was introduced at the New York Boat Show?

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
07-29-2003, 10:33 AM
How about one of the Donzis the Secret Service used to guard President Johnson when he went fishing on Lake L.B.J.??
Did I read somewhere that they used 427 powered 18s with V-drives, or did I dream that?

FR :p

mattyboy
07-29-2003, 11:16 AM
I've seen a v drive 427 side oiler on a lift in lk george not a secret service boat though( or maybe that's why the owner had on big black sunglasses on a rainy day and maybe that thing in his ear was not a hearing aid but his comm link??? no couldn't be??? eek! ). I've seen a v drive bench seat hornet with a turbo charged 327 too, I have not seen a supercharged 427 bench though!!!! wink
how about finding Don's pen in the bilge of a 16???
fact or fiction you decide wink :D
wave I think you would need both of those 16s for the grail factor wink

Matty

boldts
07-29-2003, 11:10 PM
I knew a guy who now owns a 18 Classic SB Chevy with a TRS drive. Said that as a kid, his father bought a dark green 18 Classic 427 v-drive. Running the inter-coastal in Fort Lauderdale he and his brother seperated the stringers from the hull. Mr. Aronow supposedly gave the guy's father a replacement 18 Classic only with the outdrive this time. Claimed to also have attended school with Michael Aronow.

Fact or Fiction? Don't know, I haven't talked to the guy in a long time, how-ever his current 18 with TRS is sitting right next to my 22 at the marina. Hasn't moved in the last 5 years. Might be able to talk it out of the guys hands if anyone is interested.

Back to the Holy Grail, I've also spoken to the owner of one of the original two 16s from the introduction in the NY Boat show. Other supposedly was lost in a hurricane. Who knows?

For me right know, the Holy Grail would be a 26' or 28' Donzi Classic with twins for the new age and times of Poker Run weekends. :)

Tim Morris
07-30-2003, 09:23 AM
Well, the Canadian Holy Grail for me goes something like this. Two 16's came into Muskoka (Ontario) in late '64 / early '65. One was purchased by a gentleman by the name of Richard Robinson (son of Lord Martonmere of Bermuda, married to Ted Rogers (cable systems) sister. He became disenchanted with the boat when his kids passed him with their ski boat. I paid him a visit in 1975 and purchased his 16' complete with the 265 Ford / Eaton outdrive. I kept that boat through to 1987, installed the SBC/Volvo package, redid the hull with imron (all red w/white stripe), and reupholsted from Bilt Rite. Late in '86, I went to FLA and purchased an '87 Minx which I still have. The summer of '87 was a good one with the choice of these two boats, although I was increasing concerned that one of my kids, ages 3 & 1 at the time was going to roll out the back of the 16' on launch - I swear, I could get the boat to 'hop' right out on take off. Sold the 16' to a young fellow from Midland, Ontario who appreciated the speed, but I'm not sure if he had the respect or the faith in the breed, he never kept in touch. Damn, I wish I still had that boat!