PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Classic

mdixon
10-23-2001, 07:21 PM
All, what a wonderful site full of information. Having spent some time admiring Donzi classics seen at a friends cottage I'm thinking of one next summer. It will be a first boat, but I've driven a bunch of smaller runabouts so it's not totally new to me. However I have a few questions that may be easy for this group but giving me some trouble. So if I may....

1. While I would prefer a 22, budget may only allow 18 or even a newer 16 (boat will be used). Will these sizes accomodate 4 adults or 2 adults/3 kids or should I hold out for a 22? Any suggestions on with same dollars to go newer/smaller, or older/bigger?

2. I read in another stream something to the effect of "there may be faster 18's on the water but nothing will handle the rough stuff as well". I live and work about 5 minutes from Lake Ontario and may consider just leaving it there for the summer. Now I'm not considering this during storms, but anybody have any suggestions on what kind of chop these boats are comfortable and safe in? I don't originally plan on lake crossings or anything like that (at least for now).

3. Finally the dumb question that may cause this to get no answers... As ridiculous as this sounds I may take the boat to some smaller lakes and dare I say it.. fish. So, can one stand safely on the front or rear deck without damaging the boat? This is a small concern but may push me to a more all around boat depending on answers, but dammit, I love the look and sound of the Classics I've seen.

Thanks for putting up with a "newbie" when it comes to this stuff.

mattyboy
10-23-2001, 09:00 PM
mdixon welcome, I'm a new donzi owner, I have a 16 it fits my wife me and my 14yr old son and my 11yr old daughter with a cooler and that's about it except for the rigging. 4 adults possible but unless their small probably not comfortable, the 18 is probably a little better, and the 22 better than that. ride will increase as you up in size .
the size of the chop is geared to your idea of a comfortable drive and what you feel is safe. ther are a ton of great lakes guys on this board with different size classics. they will be able to tell you all about em.
lastly fishing? not alot of room for gear! and standing on the deck or engine hatch? not on my boat
drive it to a beach, fish from the shore,
think of the classics as more of a sports car,not good for trips to home depot, or long xcountry drives, but they are a blast, they turn heads. i love my donzi my next boat will be a bigger donzi.
oh and by the way if you put a trolling motor on it it has to be atleast an 8cyl

Matt
love my donzi you can keep all the rest

Christian
10-23-2001, 09:15 PM
hello,

I remember a 22 owner fishing from his boat in one of the back bays here in Nj. it was quite some time ago, but i did ask him about it. he reinforced the rear hatch so he could cast. seemed to suit him just fine.

we use the whaler or SeaCraft haven't tried fishing from the 18 yet but it sounds like a fun time, the fish like the sound of the V8 i heard.

boldts
10-23-2001, 09:54 PM
MDixon,

I own a 18' Classic. I've run the boat on Lake Erie, but I don't run the boat there every time I go boating. The Classic runs great in a 1 to 2' chop. Much more and it gets hairy. My Donzi is a 1969 and built extremely solid. I recently took my Donzi to the Donzi Owners 2001 Rally in Sarasota FL. We did a run from Sarasota to Tampa. It was very ruff with 3 to 4' swells and not to mention the large cruiser wakes. I had to tightnen screws after the run, but the most important thing is that the boat returned me safely back to our starting marina. The 18' will throw some water in your face on occasion that the 22 Classic with it's higher sides may keep outside the boat. I love my 18' Classic, but if I had it to do again and could get a 22' Classic for the same money spent, I would buy the 22 even if the boat were older. Just has a note, we had some 16's do the run in Sarasota also. I can't comment on their ride, but I'm sure it was every bit as adventurous has mine. By the way, my dad and I have fished at a local lake from my 18. If your on a quite lake, no problem standing on the bow if it's solid. Welcome to the board and hopefully to the family soon. :)

cummins
10-24-2001, 06:57 AM
MDixon
Welcome
I know lake Ontario fairly well... and I don't really think I would be too comfortable on anything less than a 21 (Especially with the family)... unless on the most placid day. A 21 footer is still easy to trailer to the great North. Were would you take it Muskoka/Lake Simcoe??
:D
Cummins

cummins
10-24-2001, 07:19 AM
Oop's I mean 22 :o

Kent Perroux
10-24-2001, 08:28 AM
1) What What size waters are good for boating in an 18/22? That depends on you. I love 2-3 in the gulf in my 18 and have been there in 3-5 with a big grin. The old classic hulls hold up, but stereos, fire extinguishers, and passengers get beat up.

2) Fishing? Yes, I have used mine to fish the reefs several miles offshore. Standing on the deck is fine if you do some light bracing, just takes good sea-leggs. I don't fish much, but I think is is a great excuse to run in the open water.

I go to Burlington, Ont. a lot and that lake sure looks like Donzi water to me!!

Kent

mdixon
10-24-2001, 07:57 PM
Thanks to all who replied. Sounds like you've verified that I want a bigger boat, 18 but most likely 22, and that it would suit my desires well. In reply to the questions asked, no I don't intend to troll, fishing would likely be in Honey Harbour close to the main channel to Georgian bay, casting over some well known drop-offs, and yes Burlington is the same lake, which sounds like fun in a machine like a classic, until it gets really rough. I've seen that lake with 10 foot and greater swells only 20 feet apart when pier fishing near burlington, leaving some local sailboats surfing between waves with the keel almost out of the water. That's too much for my taste in a small boat.

Once again thanks, looks like I have my winter soul and boat searching to complete now.

I'll keep you posted on when it turns into a purchase.