PDA

View Full Version : Donzi owner again!

DOND
10-23-2001, 11:55 AM
Well its been 21 years but I am a Donzi owner once again. About a year ago I stumbled upon this great site.I always have had a great desire to someday have another one and monitering this site started the blood flowing again.Back in the late seventies I had a 1965 16 it was a great boat until It was rearended on the tollway at 60 mph.while trailering it home from Lake Michigan.Beleive it or not the boat survived the eaton outdrive was busted up,but the only damage to the boat was a small crack in the transom and chine rubbed down from skidding on the pavement for 200ft. after it flew off the trailer.
At this point in my life the wife decided we needed a family boat, my idea was a Hornet hers was a searay cuddy cabin and guess who won that battle.
I guess I am going thru mid life craze because after searching for 11 months I finally found one.It is a 1969 16 with a 302 HolmanMoody.It is all original and the only thing missing is the lens on the stern light.The original upholstery is there in good shape gauges,steering wheel,decals etc. It does need work the deck will need some fiberglass work and repaint. The structure seems solid ,I crawled all over this boat,the stringers,transom are all solid along with the deck and the gas tank seems ok. This boat does not seem to have been used all that much over the years.
Hopefully once I embark on this process I can rely on the great wealth of knowledge here to help me out. :)

mattyboy
10-23-2001, 12:30 PM
glad to have you back,
congrats on the boat
do you still have the searay,
from a cuddy to a 16 that's a culture shock,
good luck, post pics when you can

Matt
68 16 351h/m

HP 600SC
10-23-2001, 03:09 PM
Congrats on the new toy!

Crazy Horse
10-23-2001, 06:00 PM
Nice going...and welcome.
Hey guys, someone must have a lead on the stern light lens???

mattyboy
10-23-2001, 07:01 PM
just looked at mine no numbers on the lens but the stainless plate says perko

Matt

DOND
10-24-2001, 08:14 AM
Thanks guys for the warm welcome, I am sure you will be hearing from me from time to time.

To answer your question about the searay Matt, yes I still have it and will keep it. The Donzi is another toy for my dad and I to enjoy. And I still have the wife also! although I do not know for how much longer,she was not happy when I brought the Donzi home.

Thanks Scott for the lense info. you guys are amazing with the vast knowledge you have .

Thanks again,
Don :)

mattyboy
10-24-2001, 11:53 AM
dond,
give her a little time, she'll warm up to it
my wife did.

Matt

Don Carone
10-24-2001, 09:25 PM
Welcome back!!
I have a 1966 16' I am restoring. Im not sure how original it is but you are welcome to take a look at it. its at Kramer marine in fox lake

Greg
10-24-2001, 09:51 PM
Hi Dond, I am currently fixing up an old '66-18' just down the road from you. If I can be of any help give me a call. Greg

BigGrizzly
10-24-2001, 11:42 PM
welcome back, Donzi is a long term desease with no cure known to man kind.

Randy