PDA

View Full Version : Drive rotation Revisited...

CDMA
10-22-2001, 11:38 AM
I seem to be cursed with outdrives that turn opposite of the way I want them too. The Arneson I have is the "chain" unit which is used in LH applications. So I now am trying to figure out what to do regarding steering. Unlike my 18 originality is not a consideration. I want what will make the boat run and handle best. So I guess this means a LH helmed 22 if I am correct. Wouldn't bother me at all, actually sort of cool looking. Do I also need to think about the engine torque more now that this boat is a Big block? Just tossing this out to see opinions. Donzitester what would you do if you had this dilema?

Chris

Gee I am post crazy today huh?

HP 600SC
10-22-2001, 07:13 PM
If I were you I would sell that Arneson to me! ha ha ha, ok seriously you can easily
convert that drive to right hand rotation
if it is a chain drive. I would not move the
helm. Also dont paint it.....re-gel it.
ok more than you asked for huh?
Ted M.

CDMA
10-22-2001, 07:38 PM
Ted,

I am under the impression that the chain units are LH only and the RH units are the gear drive. Am I mistaken?? Not such an easy switch as far as I know but I would love to be wrong about that.

Re-gelcoat it...I might if I had unlimited time and $$$ but paint works for me. I like in on my 18. Always looks good.

Chris

HP 600SC
10-22-2001, 07:50 PM
Chris, there is a post on OSO, a guy named Ric or Rik is an expert on that drive, I talked to him about converting that unit and he say's no problem....click on this http://207.55.218.179/cgidir/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=9&t=000176

CDMA
10-22-2001, 08:03 PM
Thanks Ted. Yeah that is Rik Wimp of Arneson industries. He is the guy to know. He is Howard's #1 guy. He is the guy supplying my transmission, building my external box and a few other parts.

Chris

CDMA
10-22-2001, 11:38 PM
Ted you are right. Changing rotations is $353. It would have been $2K if it said mercruiser on the side... ;) ;) ;) Just like my 18...

Chris