PDA

View Full Version : remeber that little crack in the floor....

CDMA
10-22-2001, 11:24 AM
Started working on the 22 this weekend and that my slight floor problem grew. What looked to be a crack from flexing was actually just the beginning. What happened is the stringers did not support the front of the floor. When force was exerted in front of the drivers seat the floor flexed down in that area. This caused the gelcoat behind the pedestals to crack. This let water into the core and the entire core was shot. Soaked and wet. I thought long and hard about how to tackle this. My first thought was of course I have to pull the deck. While a task it is something I would have done if I thought it was the best way. However I realized that if I pulled the deck and removed the bottom laminate and the core the only remnant of the old floor shape would be the cracked out and mangled top laminate. So with a little hesitancy I carefully cut the top laminate out with a die grinder. I was able to lift the entire top damaged laminate in tack and remove the entire old core. I cut new marine ply for the floor and will epoxy that in. Then I will take the old outer laminate and epoxy that back in place. That should get me the same basic shape with a new core. A little filling and fairing and it should look good.

I have to admit that I am very disappointed in the floor lamination. It is 4 layers of glass then 5/16 plywood, and then only one layer of glass on the bottom. I will rebuild it like it was made just to keep the same shape and then I will crawl underneath and I will add ¾ plywood backing as far as I can. That coupled with supports under the front of the floor should fix that problem.

Due to this as well and the Pearson-Miester’s constant pushing the boat will also be painted this winter…wasn’t this boat a simple repower job…this is how it all starts…

I will let you know how it comes out. The new floor should be in this weekend.

Chris