PDA

View Full Version : New Performance Numbers

Kent Perroux
10-22-2001, 09:02 AM
Madpoodle; you can change my numbers on your spreadsheet. New labbed prop working great!

1983 18 Classic
Volvo 280 drive 1:61 w/nosecone
Chevy 350ci
14x24 labbed and modified merc chopper
66mph @ 5400rpm
(sure sounds sweet at those r's!)

Kent
:D :D

CDMA
10-22-2001, 09:05 AM
That is MOVING for a volvo 350 18. Sounds great.

Chris

mattyboy
10-22-2001, 10:35 AM
nice work Kent,
was it hard to find the nosecone?
is that a stock 350 or is it tweaked?

Matt

Kent Perroux
10-22-2001, 11:10 AM
Nosecone is from Hydromotive.

Engine is 9:1, but with a few tweeks to make it breath easy.(heads, cam, intake, carb, MSD, exhaust.)

mattyboy
10-22-2001, 11:25 AM
that's good,
what other props have you tried?
this year I was turning a 14x21 spinelli ss that was designed for skiing, great hole shot but need some more top end. I run mid
50's wot on my 16 with 351w 10:1 and 1.61:1 volvo250, do I go bigger with more pitch or smaller and more pitch to gain top end speed
mid 60's would be nice.

Matt

Kent Perroux
10-22-2001, 02:24 PM
Matty,

Your combo should scream. What RPM are you turning at WOT? You should probably be turning a 14x24 or maybe even a 14x26.

Actually I have only tried a few different props but much fiddling with them;
Volvo 14 x 26
Merc Chopper 14.5 x 26
Merc Chopper 14.5 x 24
Spinelli 14 x 24

The Volvo I never had worked on, but I think it would be great. The choppers and Spinelli I had labbed and tweeked a few times($$$); I love the bow lift I get with them.
The 14.5 diameter was killing me when launching because it kept trying to tip the boat. The 14 diameter works much better.
I keep two props now. 14x24 spinelli and a 14x26 chopper. I am sending to 26p chopper out to have some more blade area removed because I have very low prop slip and I think there are a couple of mph to gain with it.

Madpoodle,
I will try to make it to Palatka if I still have the Donzi and depending on my schedule.

PS - the 28 Pantera is kick-ass with the Innovation 600. (finally delivered)

mattyboy
10-22-2001, 02:37 PM
Kent,
at WOT I turn around 6g's and I get to much lift from the prop, at 5500 it's ok but go alittle more around 5700 and the ass end feels like it wants fly, I don't like pushing that hard I was figuring on spending some cash next year on another spinelli cause I have a longer shaft than normal volvo.
14x24? maybe, I was told you call spinelli and give em your setup tell em what you want
hole shot, lift, speed and they build a custom prop for you, so I can lower rpm's and get some more speed
they are big bucks though!

Matt

BERTRAM BOY
10-22-2001, 06:20 PM
Kent,
How did you get a Merc prop to work on a Volvo drive?
BERTRAM BOY :D :D :D

BigGrizzly
10-23-2001, 12:27 AM
I have a Corsican 290 drive usr a 15/23 hill elefant ear prop and get the sane mph have a good hole shot. I ran a big diameater prototype prop at Eufala on the Criterion, no listing just speed ask the Poodle. Its all in the blades not just the dianeter.I did have listing with the merc Marage pluss and Bravo1. The turbo same diamiter had less lean and ran faster on that boat. I havn't tried these props on the Corsican. it runs just the way i want it right now.

Randy

Kent Perroux
10-23-2001, 08:23 AM
Matty,

I'd definately get a larger prop pitch; I'd shop for a used 23 or bigger to start. Boat engines don't last too long running 6K all the time. Also boats like torque more than hp. Prop testing can get expensive if you don't have an arsenal of test props. Go to a Donzi rally(many old volvo drives around) and bring bribes; much cheaper than buying a lot of props.

Griz mentioned the hill prop, I have heard that is a great prop and made especially for the older volvo drives but have never had the opportunity to try it.

Bertram Boy,

To get a merc prop to fit on a volvo, the inside has to be machined to allow a volvo hub to be installed.

Griz, you are probably correct on the diameter. The stock choppers also have a LOT of blade area that I had removed in addition to reducing the diameter. I did not have listing problems while running, only when the boat left the water, it wanted to prop walk which meant the foot(or hand) had to be pretty quick in the gulf if you wanted to keep the top side up.

mattyboy
10-23-2001, 11:02 AM
Thanx Kent and Griz,
I'm hoping to get to the dust off and get to meet everyone, then test all their props, I have a couple of michigan props but are in rough shape and don't know the specs,
I'd like 60's but in the high 4g's or low 5g's that would be nice, but I gotta tell ya when take off with my prop now you gotta see the heads turn,the nose goes staright to the sun for a second then I'm gone, if I'm not careful she land on her back. It pulled my buddy's shoulder out of the socket when we we're skiing this year, ( of course we are not quite as slim as we were when we were in high school, and he always has problems with his shoulder since his accident.
we drank half the lake that day :eek: :eek:

Matt

BERTRAM BOY
10-23-2001, 03:36 PM
Kent,
Next question, Who did you get to do the machine work on the prop? Thanks,
BERTRAM BOY :D :D :D

Kent Perroux
10-23-2001, 08:51 PM
I used Frank & Jimmy's propeller shop in Ft. Lauderdale, Fl. Also Hall's Propeller shop in Christmas, Fl. say's he can do it also. Both do great work on labbing props.