PDA

View Full Version : Storage Problems

Crazy Horse
04-29-2000, 11:38 AM
Have any ideas for stowing away an anchor and line in an 18?

AVickers
04-29-2000, 12:06 PM
How 'bout outside the stringers at the very back?

Donzi Dave
04-29-2000, 12:51 PM
For my '18 I bought the Fortress alloy anchor. It is made of machined billet alloy and breaks down into it's component parts. Only takes a couple of minutes to put together. I live on a shallow lake, so only need a 100' of line. The anchor and line all fit in it's nylon storage bag about 8"square by 20" long. Fits easily in the ski slot under the front deck. It is a beautiful piece of workmanship worthy of a Donzi. Dave

wbateman
04-29-2000, 02:09 PM
Dave,
Where did you get that Fortress?
Bill

Donzi Dave
04-29-2000, 05:41 PM
Bill - Purchased the anchor several years ago directly from Fortress. Looked in my paperwork for the address but could not find. However I have seen them at marine stores also. Check with West Marine first. It is really a great anchor and a beautiful piece of work. Dave

FASTEDDIE
04-29-2000, 07:47 PM
I stored my anchor and line in the battery box under the rear seat cushion.
I wrapped a large bath towel around it so it
didn't make noise or rattle around.It was there for the 3 years I had the boat and I had no problems.

------------------

CDMA
04-29-2000, 09:24 PM
Even though my boat does not run yet this is what I am doing. There will be a 7 pound fortress held up under the fron deck with out any line on it. There will be a canvas bag with the anchor rode in it in the floor storage with a snap shackle on the end. When needed snap the snap shakle through the anchor and you are ready.

Chris

Crazy Horse
04-30-2000, 08:51 AM
Chris & Dave-the Fortress sounds like the way to go. Dave is your anchor 7lbs. also? Is seven lbs. enough to hold the boat?
I think Donzi ought to mount a highly polished metal anchor flush with the back of the boat.

Kenn
04-30-2000, 02:02 PM
Crazy Horse,

Use of an anchor on the lake is often a problem. There are limited places to use an anchor on Lake Winnipesaukee but it's a required safety item and it's good to have for emergency reasons.

For my 18 ft I have a folding abchor that looks like an octipus when closed and which allows the flukes to open and be locked open.

I attached a short chain and a 175 ? or 200 Ft 3/8 nylon braided line.

Then I added a 1/8 nylon braided line to a loop on the pointed end of the anchor to allow for pulling it backwards if it gets hung up.

All of the above fits into a cloth bag, like a mini 'sea bag' and it fits under the rear seat on top of the separator above the battery , in the battery box compartment.
I had tried to put it in other locations but concluded that it would slide or come into contact with something vital and had the above arrangement not worked, I had considered adding a fiberglass box, laminated somewhere up front.

I hope this is helpful.

BTW, I have not yet used any anchor from any of my Donzi's on Lake Winnipesaukee.

Kenn http://206.150.187.82/ubb/wink.gif

Donzi Dave
04-30-2000, 07:11 PM
Crazy Horse - Yes, my fortress is also the smaller 7 lb model. Fortress makes them in a variety of sizes. Anchor selection depends on boat size and type of bottom. The Fortress is a "Danforth" type fluke design which works best in sand or mud bottoms. The Fortress has a clever pivot with two holes for the rod that holds the flukes. One is for normal use, and the other is for mud bottoms which changes the pitch angle to improve holding. On holding ability, I have never had mine pull out except for drifting over it in a change of wind direction, but it quickly reset itself. They have test results where the U.S. Navy tested their anchors and the results were impressive. I love mine. Dave

BERTRAM BOY
05-01-2000, 04:24 PM
DONZI DAVE,
Excellent suggestion, I just ordered my Fortress today!!!!
BERTRAM BOY

Forrest
05-01-2000, 04:31 PM
Yea, and if you are cheap like me, the Fortress folks make a lower-priced aluminum anchor called the Gardian. It like the Fortress and other danforth type anchors, work very well in sand and some mud bottoms; however, they are not worth their weight in aluminum on a rocky or very hard bottom.

------------------
Forrest