PDA

View Full Version : volvo 270 info

Hot Water Man
04-26-2000, 07:18 PM
hi all i am unfamiliar with volvo i just got a 72 volvo 270 and was wondering if the power lift is to be used as power trim. the red light on the dash only goes out when the outdrive is fully lowered, then it goes out . thanks for any info. plus any info where a stainles prop could be found?

kevin
04-26-2000, 09:23 PM
THE TILT SYSTEM IS A MECHANISM THAT ALLOWS THE STERN DRIVE TO BE RAISED WHEN MOVING THROUGH SHALLOW WATER AT IDLE, IDLE, IDLE, IDLE, SPEED. WHEN APPROACHING A BEACH, AGAIN AT IDLE, IDLE, SPEED, AND FOR TRAILERING THE BOAT TO AND FROM THE WATER.

Rich
04-29-2000, 02:26 PM
Don't use reverse when the drive is not engaged in the fully lowered position at any engine speed. Other than that follow Kevin's advice on only at idle or just above.

Hot Water Man
04-30-2000, 09:49 AM
when i shift into reverse the catches on my 270 dont hold and the outdrive come up is there an adjustment or do i need new parts ps. the drive is fully lowered and its a 340

Kenn
04-30-2000, 02:16 PM
Hot Water Man,

Madpoodle is correct.

I don't know where kevin got his information but the source contradicts my Volvo manual.

The manual says the power tilt is only to be used when tilting or lowering the drive BEFORE use. It goes on to say that the engine should not even be started while the tilt mechinism is in use.

The problem with lock down may be an adjustment or a part that has been worn out or damaged.

I would be very careful with the power tilt as with some instalations, should you bend the tilt actuator which looks loke a big screw nail, it may require remeoval of the entire outdrive or engine to access it.

Kenn http://206.150.187.82/ubb/eek.gif

Rich
04-30-2000, 04:51 PM
If your drive is popping up when you use reverse, it might just be an adjustment that is needed. Get hold of a Volvo manual. There are too many variables to go through here. The manuals go through everything. If you can't find one, e-mail me your address and I'll send you a copy.

kevin
04-30-2000, 09:25 PM
kenn i got the info out of my seloc vovlo penta manual, it could be wrong, which means i could be wrong, ouch that hurt.

BillG
05-01-2000, 10:23 AM
Try www.marineparts.com (http://www.marineparts.com) I purchased a new Volvo ultra from them about a month ago.

klink
05-02-2000, 01:07 AM
Most of the guys that say you can idle on your lift are running the popular 4 cyl motor, big power on a big prop could do some damage, Ive got a 270 that has the tilt post rounded off so that the release rod no longer works.
If the release does not hold in reverse with the trim down and the adjustment looks right replacing the small springs might help.
If someone has reversed the direction of the prop at the shifter and not the drive you could have the drive released in reverse and held down in foreward.
Dave

BillG
05-02-2000, 07:36 AM
I had to drill my 250 drive prop shaft. Use the cone with the hole for the lock bolt as a guide. Just screw it on a few threads and keep the drill bit centered in the hole. The shaft has a countersink to center the bit on the shaft. I used my cordless drill with Zirconium Nitride-coated drill bit from Sears. It cut like butter.
Good Luck
Bill

PaulO
05-02-2000, 09:42 AM
My Volvo Manual ( which I no longer need since I repowered with and Alpha this winter) also stated that the tilt can be used for low speed operation such as shallow water and beaching. I have done it many times without problems.
Paul

Craig
05-06-2000, 01:52 PM
I've used my tilt motor to putt around in shallows as well, and I'm most certain I saw that you "could" in a Volvo manual. HOWEVER, don't assume you can use it much to thrust your boat on to a trailer. It will work if you don't need much of a push, but it doesn't take much thrust to push the drive back down. I did this once and, thinking my drive was up, dinged a prop. Embarrassing, but maybe will save someone from the same dumb mistake.