PDA

View Full Version : Gel Coat or Paint?

Greg Riach
10-19-2001, 12:05 PM
I am in the process of restoring an early Donzi 16. The deck and top sides of the hull are very badly faded. I have the choice of getting the boat re gel coated, or spray painted with a 2 part urethane (Sterling, Awlgrip, Imron etc). I would appreciate your thoughts and comments on which is preferable and any things I should look out for.

Greg

BigGrizzly
10-19-2001, 03:50 PM
I have several Donzis one is gel the other is two part poly. I like the paint better. it shines and seals out dirt.

Randy

CDMA
10-19-2001, 03:58 PM
I agree with Griz. To me paint looks nicer and is easier than new gel coat.

Chris

Scott Pearson
10-19-2001, 06:16 PM
Paint...Paint...Paint...Orange...Paint...Paint...P PG...Orange...Paint...Paint...PPG...Paint.

Ahhh...the hidden message....Can you find it?

(NJ)Scott

mattyboy
10-19-2001, 09:37 PM
mine is a 68 16 and it has been painted with urethane and boy does it shine and it does clean up pretty easy
good luck with the boat Greg

and Scott is the hidden message your keyboard sticks :rolleyes:
or does your modem stutter :eek:

Matt

abelchinewalker
10-19-2001, 10:54 PM
Paint!

harbormaster
10-21-2001, 09:46 PM
Sorry Mr. pearson, but I just could not resist messin' with your hidden message post above.

harbormaster
10-21-2001, 09:53 PM
How many people who replied pant actually know how and have applied Gelcoat? I watched it applied, and personally think that it is just as easy to apply as the paint, probably less toxic and lasts longer than the hi tech paint finish.

I believe there is less prep for gelcoat than on the paint.

This how we applied it.

1. Prep sanded old Gel coat to clean up and knock off any loose gelcoat.

2. roll 1 thick coat and let dry.

3. sand out orange peel smooth.

4. Shoot thinned gelcoat from gun.

Comes out looking very nice.

Just my experiences.

Scott Pearson
10-21-2001, 10:08 PM
Scot,
Orange.....You crack me up...Gotta love that color!

(NJ)Scott

HP 600SC
10-22-2001, 02:34 AM
Gel-coat! Nothing hard about it, just different. But why do you need to re-do it?
I have brought back gel-coat from the dead.
I meen old faded pink back to red and like new....anyone remember my red 18??

Christian
10-22-2001, 11:00 AM
My father and i are restoring a sea craft and we will be using gel- coat, sorry scott P
its a newer type which requires no sanding b/c it has wax in it. I will let you guys know when i spray it.

i use reg gel coat on R/C boats and i love it. i used to use some unique paints but i'd always have probs with lay up and gel times.
my answer: both, after Sea-ing scott Ps boat ;)

Danny
10-22-2001, 12:44 PM
Greg
First did those manuals arrive?
I re gelled my main cottage boat about 5 years ago, this boat boes duty as a truck , water taxi, fishing boat and barge. One of my Donzis is painted and you have seen the pics. The re-gel was very labour intensive, I tooked off all the hardware and had some spray the gel and then had to sand out the orange peel. Sanded the whole boat including liner, lockers etc( we changed the colour so obviously more work). Sanded with 200, then 400 then wet 600 and finally buff and wax(sounds like there is newer and better technology today). It was alot of work but it has stood up very well to the use/abuse it has gotten. Any marks I have gotten on it I have been able to wet sand or buff out.
My 16 that was painted and I don't know with what but it cleans up very well and has a great shine to it however it does mark and is not as durable as the gel. I find paint is tricky to buff let alone wet sand.
Scratches and nicks I find are much easier to repair in gel and I think that the gel coat will stand up longer.
If I were doing a boat that I was keeping for myself and not looking at resale I would go gel. Save yourself some money by doing a lot of the labour yourself. Get someone to spray the gel but do the prep and sanding yourself.
It inevitable that you will ding or scratch the boat somewhere sometimes whether it is a dock nail or someone's stilettos or your front deck (nice pic Crazyhorse, no dig implied). Gel is more durable and easier to repair.
All said and done, try wetsanding and buffing the orginal gel you have now, you may be surprised by what you get. That is all I'm doing to my 73 and it cleaned up very well. Something to be said for the original gel coat.
Danny

Forrest
10-22-2001, 03:40 PM
That's right. Nothing beats the look of a great paint job, but like Danny said, there is something to be said for the original gel coat - such as extreme duribility that I have never seen with any paint.

CDMA
10-22-2001, 03:55 PM
I agree with Forrest totally. Both are great in there own way. The best way I can descibe it is this: my donzi will always be painted but my whaler will always be gelcoat.

Chris

ZZ
10-23-2001, 02:38 AM
Hey ´tester!ave that old faded gelcoat. I have o badly faded red one . Do you have any magical tips ?

ZZ

Jerry Eisele
10-23-2001, 08:13 PM
I had pink gel coat. I wet sanded it with 1000, and 1500, now it has a red gloss finish. Then buffed and waxed. It looks like new.Now you could shave by using the side.

Stepped Bottom
10-23-2001, 09:34 PM
At the risk of spending the night on the couch, I'm going to have to disagree with my other half on this one. I would go with the gel coat. It's more durable and much easier to do repairs on. Of course, if you don't think you'll ever need to do a repair, go ahead and use the paint.

Darla

green16
10-23-2001, 09:40 PM
I had mine regel coated and I am glad. I do plan on keeping it and it has helped out with scratch repair. I think I have all the pictures back on either disc or floppy from beginning to end. My winter project will be to put it all together and get into a post. I am having one thing done over, my mistake. I tried to save the anodized aluminum grab rail even though it was scratched up a bit. It just looks bad and out of place so I am going with a new stainless steel railing.

John

donziclassik18
10-24-2001, 04:06 PM
do you think thats going to be a boat that you keep yesteryear alive with todays youth? would you sell it to a teen with a um.... im not sure what its called but the opposite of a seniors discount? ;)

Dennis
10-25-2001, 07:33 AM
I keep my X-18 in the water all summer and only pull it out to wash. I have NOT read anyone addressing, that automotive paint won't last underwater for more than a mounth without blistering. If keeping it on the trailer is the answer, how do you stop the scratching and pealing from bunks or rollers? I know my car finish would not look nice if it was dragged up and down a trailer. Hoist only?
I vote for Gel-Coat if its under water and paint above!!!! After trying ALL the products on the market I settled on WEST EPOXY RESIN for my boot stripe and just tried it on my outdrive with good results

Looped
10-25-2001, 08:03 AM
Dennis,
I am no paint guy by no means but I think that the reason why auto paint (below the water level) will blister after a short term is do to the fact that auto paint breaths and marine paint does not. I think it has something to do with that big hole in the sky so the auto industry is stuck with an ozone friendly type of paint system that never really hardens and seals. Unlike the olden days where body shops would be able to paint cars without a paint booth and not have the environmental freaks come after them.

Of course Scott Pearson would be a better person to harp on this one.

Forrest
10-25-2001, 09:30 AM
Epoxy is the longest lasting and most durable below-the-waterline paint. I like VC Underwater Epoxy with Teflon. Unfortunitly, it's only available in white and it's not high gloss.

DonziMitch
10-25-2001, 09:57 AM
Gelcoat is the only way to go. If there is ever any damage or repair work to de done Gel can be faired in. Paint requires the whole area be done over. Gel is also a good structural member and is tough as nails.

mattyboy
10-25-2001, 10:15 AM
guys,
you say that the paint does not seal or it breathes, I have noticed some blisters 5 or 6
on one side of my boat just below the donzi sticker under the water line.Left it in the water this season.
couple of questions.
can I seal the paint with some kinda wax or buffing agent?
what do I do about the ones I have and stop from getting worse? short of trailering!
I believe my boat was painted with urethane paint bright red. these are difinetly paint blisters not gelgoat blisters.

I guess the factory had some problems, 5 or 6 blisters on a 31 year old boat, really!!! it's my paint job! and my classic is a rock solid boat, that's Donzi quality!!!!
you can keep all the rest. and You can have
my 16 after you pry my dead lifeless hands off the steering wheel.

Matt

Scott Pearson
10-25-2001, 03:35 PM
Craig,
I'm not getting involved in this discussion. All you guys can hash it out by yourselves. I'm sure most of you know my thoughts.

(NJ)Scott