PDA

View Full Version : Late model Merc trim pumps

RickR,GroveCity
04-25-2000, 07:10 PM
I was renewing the power trim fliud on my 95 22 and I discovered it was full of water http://206.150.187.82/ubb/eek.gif

Looks like the drain hole for the hatch was allowing water to drip into the vent hole on the trim reservoir

I'll remedy with a cover for the cap.

------------------
RickR mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

Donzi Dave
04-25-2000, 09:57 PM
If your trim pump is similar to mine (86' merc) remember that the pump filler plug must be backed out 1 full turn after bottoming. Check your service manual. Dave

Forrest
04-26-2000, 09:18 AM
Donzi Dave, you must have a Pre$tolite pump. I think RickR has an Oildine Pump. Some of the early Oildine pumps had a small vent hole in the cap wich can let water in. Also worn seals in the trim cylinders can let water in too.

[This message has been edited by Forrest (edited 04-26-2000).]

GeneD
04-26-2000, 09:59 AM
Geez, it never ends does it?
Getting the water out of that thing is going to be a bitch, I know first hand. The same thing happened to mine. I bleed that chocolate milk out of there forever it seemed, and still couldn't get it all out. I had to remove the reserviour and clean it out.
I never did find out where it came from. But I have the same situation as you. That damn drain hole is direcly over the pump.
What to do?

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

[This message has been edited by GeneD (edited 04-26-2000).]

Forrest
04-26-2000, 10:28 AM
Yea, you need to remove the pump reservoir to clean it out since there are a few nooks and crannies in the reservoir that will trap fluid and water. After you get it all flushed out and if it still works, you are good to go. BTW, don't bother to flush the system out with expensive power time fluid. Go to you local Discount Auto Supply and pony up about $3.50 for a gallon of Valvoline Hydraulic Oil. It looks, smells, and works the same as the expensive stuff

------------------
Forrest

[This message has been edited by Forrest (edited 04-26-2000).]

RickR,GroveCity
04-26-2000, 08:43 PM
Gene
I guess I'll make a cap for the cap.
My solution is to siphon all of the old oil out, cycle some 10w30 a few times, siphon that out etc,etc, well you get the picture.

Forrest
Yes its the low pressure Oline Pump, luckily it uses 10w30

------------------

Emmo
05-03-2000, 11:14 PM
Can somebody tell me where the trim pump is on my 270? I have never been able to find it.

------------------
Emmo mailto:emmette@emmette.comemmette@emmette.com</A>

RickR,GroveCity
05-04-2000, 12:33 AM
Emmo
It's in the very very very back behind the whatchamacalit next to the doohicky.
If you'll craw down into the engine compartment and get down under the motor you can just barely see it!!
While your down there you need to get that old oily Bama flag out of the bilge.
Go Vols!

------------------