PDA

View Full Version : Disturbing trend

harbormaster
04-24-2000, 07:29 PM
OK its PBS beg for funds time.
The quarterly Domain hosting bill has come due.
A select few of you have been gracious enough to provide unsolicited support for this site. We are now averaging 190 visitors a day with 141 registered users. I still have not sucumbed to paid advertising as of yet.
I was even approached by a Marine distributor who wanted to buy the membership list. I told them to kiss off!
Can anyone part with some spare change?
Make Checks or postal money orders payable
"Scot VanAlstine".
Send them to:
The Donzi Registry
1507 Blairmont
Houston, Texas 77062

Thankyou, We now return you to your regularly scheduled Donzi Talk program.

GeneD
04-25-2000, 09:06 AM
Donzi guys and gals,
I have some thoughts on this money situation that I want to share.
I have a few proposals that I respectfully ask to be voted on.
Scot has done a marvelous job on the site, considering it’s former format. It is extremely modern and user friendly.
But seeing how money is an issue to keep the site running, something must be done to preserve our holy webpage.
1. Require yearly membership dues, OR allow advertising.
FrankC’s club has a wonderful site with advertising that is basically non-intrusive. Check it out: http://hometown.aol.com/NJPPC/index.html

I really believe that we could pull of this advertising thing and have them support our site. Of course, I wouldn’t like them to dictate what we do with our site, and I think that total control should be ours.
But imagine having sponsors for a local Donzi Registry Poker Run. Or having a Donzi Registry hospitality tent at one of the offshore races, sponsored by one or more of our advertisers!

2. Become a non-profit organization and become really organized. Officers, ect.
This would have to include a membership fee, perhaps once a year or once in a lifetime? In order to pull off the advertising thingy, we would need a person to act as Treasurer, and another to act as Advertising Rep.

We could have Regional Reps for visiting member get togethers, and the like.
Can you imagine the possibilities? Can you imagine the pull we would have? Can you imagine our own newsletter and/or magazine? We could get national coverage in certain magazines.
We could get sponsors to get us tables at boat shows and boat races to solicit new members. The possibilities are endless.

What’s the vote?

PS: In order that we pull this off, we'll probably need to open up membership to most kinds of Donzis. This IS "The Donzi Registry".
Any objections?

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

[This message has been edited by GeneD (edited 04-25-2000).]

RickSE
04-25-2000, 10:44 AM
There is another site with a similar problem and their solution seems to work pretty well, http://www.442.com/, Oldsmobile Site. This is a very similar site that has historical data and archives; wanted and for sale sections; and a tech board. They do two things to generate revenue:

1) Commercial Advertisement, good layout and actually helps visitors find part sources & vendors.

2) Sellers pay $5 to place a "For Sale" ad, honor system.

Crazy Horse
04-25-2000, 10:58 AM
I begin by informing Scot that I have just (happily) sent another $50 to support the site and his efforts-and I encourage all of you to do the same.

Gene has some very good ideas-I especially like his #2 proposal. I would be happy to help out if that is what is needed.
Keep up the good work Scot!
John Totaro 'Crazy Horse'
Boston, MA

Stan
04-25-2000, 12:37 PM
Please ...Please

No advertising....Paid Membership..would be better !

Stan

digitalMan
04-25-2000, 01:22 PM
Here's my 25 bucks (which scot should recieve shortly) worth.

Paid membership opens up a whole new can of worms from an administrative and development standpoint.

I don't want to speak for the harbormaster, but it seems like he does quite enough already.

Seems to me like we either need to support the site voluntarily or look at banner ads. Banner ads don't bother me, but that still requires scot to do more.

Scot - I think you would be well within bounds to use the registered users list to solicit contributions via email

Frank Civitano
04-25-2000, 05:26 PM
Gene.
The membership and the paid sponsership works realy good. Scot we charge a mempership fee of 35.00 and we also do other things to bring in money? NONProfit! Gene's Idea's work and work well, We set a booth in all the local boat shows, And Donzi will definetly let you set up with them. They love it! Any time there is a race, See if we can get a booth. In May if the race is a go, I will be in Point Pleasant with my boat on display with a table with all my Hand painted T-shirts, My personalized iron on shirts, And with the power of New Jersey Performance Power Boat club that are bringing some Awsome boats We make a heck of an Impact.

------------------
Frank Civitano

johndmay
04-25-2000, 05:33 PM
Scot, how much would it cost to keep the site spam free for a year?

johndmay (who used to be "radar", but doesn't know how to edit his username in his profile)

Varyak
04-25-2000, 06:52 PM
I'm not apposed to dues in the least. Somewhere around $35 per year is common for groups like ours. Paper newsletters are expensive and time consuming (been there done that)and those sorts of things should be funded by advertisers. But the website seems pretty easy - particularly this one that is amazingly free of flames (perhaps good editing - thankyou Harbormaster). Scot does NOT need to automatically be the membership chair. Some brave volunteer collects the cash, sends it from time to time to Scot or the site host, and keeps track of the members who have and have not paid. A public embarassment need not be the way to collect funds. A simple e-mail to the renewal person, and a check to the membership treasurer. "Selling out" is not required. Each area of the country that supports a "region" or local club can form without requiring massive national organization. Again, this is how the 356 Registry suvives, and quite nicely. Each region or club supports the ideals of the national registry, runs it's own events, and advertises to all other members to join in their fun. It just takes a few folks to make a lot of fun.
Mark & "Quixote"

harbormaster
04-25-2000, 07:11 PM
I will be doing The Registry for a long long time. It is not going anywhere. There are some cool things coming up in the next couple of months that I can't talk about but stay tuned.

1.) I am perfectly happy to beg for spare change from time to time. The time spent on the board is spiralling down now that I have automated a lot of things. I refuse to charge for membership.

2.) Most of you who say yes for a nonprofit organization have probably never had to support one. With all the hoops is a royal pain in the ass. The fed and state government watches you like a hawk. Forget It. The Donzi Registry is a for profit business(according the me and the IRS this year).

3.) I will have paid "boats for sale" ads for commercial entities selling used Donzi Boats. I have already spoke with Nick Miller on some things that probably won't be ready till July.

4.) Remember Guys, I live in the black hole of Donzi's (Texas), I can't visit all the runs like you guys do.
I do not depend on anyone but me to make sure things get done. Case in point: I posted on March 20th asking for help in documenting some technical inforation. Only George Desmond replied.

As for visit ing shows and runs, I will probably be doing some more jetting around when my "sent the IRS a big check blues" fade.

5.) Oh yea, Frank C. How many more times are you going to mention your hand painted Donzi T shirts? Are you going to be my first paid advertiser? (hint hint)

6.) Gene Drago I am shocked you haven't noticed! We stopped limiting the site to only classics a while ago. If its a Donzi then it belongs here!

Peter Beck
04-25-2000, 07:37 PM
Guys how about splitting up email addresses from the registry among the few of us to send out letters asking for contributions and explain that this site has a cost? I know they all can read these comments but it may generate some interest and income.
Peter

FrequentFlyer
04-25-2000, 07:55 PM
Another check's in the mail Scot.

Thanks again for keeping us together. This site is a terrific resource.

Alex

harbormaster
04-25-2000, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the offer Peter but I can send one email to my distribution list and get everyone. I just have this adversion to being a spammer.

Francis O. Saffell
04-26-2000, 02:08 AM
I have no opinion on this matter what so ever. LOL

Owen

oakadia
04-26-2000, 06:50 AM
i say lets try donations in the short term and see what happens. what kind of money are we talking about?

Forrest
04-26-2000, 09:11 AM
I want to see the cool things comming up in a month or two that Scott can't talk about! How 'bout an IPO for Donzi.Net?

GeneD
04-26-2000, 09:31 AM
Scot,
Yeah, I thought about the Registry opened up AFTER I posted and, well, I just left it alone.
I can't believe the response we generated. I'm for something, whatever it ends up being.
I'm all for waving our Registry flag wherever any of us go. I love this site, and I love the people, I love what we all do. I want to see more get togethers, sponsored or not. With the backing of an organized organization, club, whatever, we can have events - Poker Runs, island picnics, holiday gatherings, ect.
We haven't had a Poker Run EVER in Brevard County and frankly I'm a bit tiffed over that.
This is America, and whatever you all say will be fine with me.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

boxy
04-26-2000, 02:39 PM
Scot, In the early 70's my grandfather first introduced me to Donzi's at the Bonnie Castle Marina in Alexandria Bay NY. Every spring as the snow melted, I couldn't wait for the road trip back to the 1000 Islands to see the new year's models. Those memories were stored away for many years in the back of my mind, and surfing around this site always brings them back. With the help of some of the great members, (GeneD, raritan, GEOO, avickers, et al) I've begun my search for an 18 2+3. I haven't found the right boat yet, but when I do, I still want this site to be here.
Count me in.

------------------
boxy
mailto:sboxma@sprint.casboxma@sprint.ca</A>
Smuggler's Cove
Ontario

Crazy Horse
04-26-2000, 07:58 PM
So there you have it Scot...we all love the site and want it to remain...just let us know what you need...(leave my wife, boat, & guitars out of this though!).

Peter Beck
04-26-2000, 08:13 PM
Hey Crazy how about the dog?

GeneD
04-27-2000, 06:44 AM
I don't know why, but for some reason, I just love the name Peter Beck.
Sounds very Rock-N-Roll.
Just thought I'd share that.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

BERTRAM BOY
04-27-2000, 08:34 AM
Gene,
Is that like a cross between Peter Frampton and Jeff Beck? Very British.

Cheerio,
BERTRAM BOY

[This message has been edited by BERTRAM BOY (edited 04-27-2000).]

Peter Beck
04-27-2000, 09:01 AM
No relation guys. And no talent.