PDA

View Full Version : Bravo

RickR,GroveCity
04-24-2000, 10:14 AM
When (in neutral) I rev up the 454 and back off the Bravo tries to engage momentairly.
And ideas?
I have not done a shift cable adjustment yet, is there anything I should look for?

Also my 22 Classic has a 23x15 5/8 Michigan Wheel (4800RPM) 62MPH
Any suggestions for a better wheel?

------------------
RickR mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

Jamesbon
04-24-2000, 10:56 AM
Rick,
I know Volvo's aren't very similar to Bravo's, but mine did the same thing. I had to make a couple fine adjustments to the shifting linkage on the drive.

Maybe take a look at the shift actuator??

Forrest
04-24-2000, 11:23 AM
Try a four-blade Bravo I prop.

Tom on Lanier
04-25-2000, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by RickR,GroveCity:
When (in neutral) I rev up the 454 and back off the Bravo tries to engage momentairly.
And ideas?
I have not done a shift cable adjustment yet, is there anything I should look for?

Also my 22 Classic has a 23x15 5/8 Michigan Wheel (4800RPM) 62MPH
Any suggestions for a better wheel?

Rick, I have tried several props recently, on my '96 22 Classic w/454-350 hp.My experience is that it is hard to beat the prop that came on the boat , that being the Merc Mirage 23" pitch. On my boat it turns 5000rpm and runs 62 to 64 depending upon wind direction, and that's with full fuel. It will run as high as 67 with a lighter load. That's GPS mph. Speedo will show 72-73, if that makes you feel better. I have tried Precision Vector 23"which turned 4700 rpm, Powertech OFS 22", which was clearly not enough prop, Merc Revolution, which is a neat looking sort of cleaver styled, 4-blade 23" turned 45-4600 rpm, Merc Mirage Plus 23" has big exhaust relief holes with removable plugs - it ran well also at 4900 rpm. The surprise though was Solas 14.5 X 23" which also turned 5000 rpm and ran a little faster than the original Mirage. And the Solas props are generally less expensive! My lake is at elevation of about 100 feet and your speed may be a little better at a lower elevation. Keep in that these results were obtained while careening across the lake trying to read a hand held GPS at W.O.T. My wife won't ride with me when I test props! Shoot for 5000 rpm and let me know what you end up with. Good Luck.

Frank Civitano
04-25-2000, 05:36 AM
When ever you run a 4 Blade prop, You have to drop a size on pitch. Thats why your Rpms dropped you ran the same pitch, That should have been a 21pitch. 4blade levels you out faster and has a more solid bite on the water. But that can be a down fall. If your boat pulls to much Right or left, Your pull will be worst with a 4 blade. you also loose a little off the top speed.

------------------
Frank Civitano

RickR,GroveCity
04-25-2000, 09:32 PM
Tom and Forrest
I;ll try a Bravo and Mirage prop. What is the differance? Is the Bravo available in a 3 blade?

Nate
Thanks I adjusted the shift linkage and it fixed the problem

------------------
RickR mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

Francis O. Saffell
04-26-2000, 03:06 AM
With all the talk going on about four blades, I gotta ask if prop theory has somehow changed in recent months. Its my understanding that two blade props are the most efficient and thus give you the best possible speed. Three blades are a compromise to lessen vibration but are less efficient than two blades. Now there's all this talk about four blades. Did something change in prop design that now makes three and four blade props better for top speed? Every year my local lake hosts drag boat races. Not a three or four blade to be found.