PDA

View Full Version : Criterian

Tom on Lanier
04-23-2000, 09:39 PM
There is a Donzi Criterian for sale in this area. It has a warmed up 454 with a 420TRS outdrive. I hadn't heard of the Criterian before. Is this a low volume or limited production boat? What do you know about it? Thanks.

------------------

Emmo
04-23-2000, 11:44 PM
I've seen a few Criterians, but don't know their history. I do know that the TRS drive, while kind of a power hog, would make great start for the vege-matic (Arneson a la GEOO) drive swap, since it has a transmission that could be used with the Arneson. GEOO doesn't have room for a transmission, so he is in forward mode whenever the engine is running. If you were to do the swap, I would recommend adding a large swim platform over the drive (I don't call the vege-matic for nothing! http://206.150.187.82/ubb/wink.gif).

[This message has been edited by Emmo (edited 04-23-2000).]

kingair
04-24-2000, 09:05 AM
The Criterion was designed by Walt Walthers and the first one was seen in the Miami International Boat show in 1976. It was all black with a red boot stripe and slick red 'Statesman' interior. With things like a stereo radio that you could use your toe to change the station, an electric engine hatch, a bunch of guages, and a cool little Corvette style pop-up docking light...it was not hard to see why there was always a crowd around it. The boat was awesome to see and drive. There were quite a few built before they were discontinued in 1986 (@ 20). Though all the boats were handled from the bench seat in the back with the helm usually on the port side, they were built in three different seating configurations. The first had two seats in a walk-through style in front of the windshields. The second had a cockpit fitted and the walk-through removed. This version was fitted with an cockpit controlled electric sunroof style hatch that would drop down and slide forward under the deck...pretty cool...only two of these were built. The electric hatch was replaced with a manually removed hatch that slid into a pocket under the deck. The third had the front cockpit removed and the bench was fitted with a bolster for two people. in any of the later two versions, when you were alone in the boat, it had an awesome long, low look from the side and from the helm. The ride was smooth and sound. A few of the customers included Barry Gibb of the Bee Gee's, one of Henry Ford's grandsons (delevered in Detriot Lions colors). The last one built was a Cook red and white with blue pins. it had a 370hp 454 w/TRS and clever. it would run in the mid seventies (light on fuel).
You should look at it, and see which year and type it is..., let me know.

Later
Philip

Tom on Lanier
04-25-2000, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by kingair:
The Criterion was designed by Walt Walthers and the first one was seen in the Miami International Boat show in 1976. It was all black with a red boot stripe and slick red 'Statesman' interior. With things like a stereo radio that you could use your toe to change the station, an electric engine hatch, a bunch of guages, and a cool little Corvette style pop-up docking light...it was not hard to see why there was always a crowd around it. The boat was awesome to see and drive. There were quite a few built before they were discontinued in 1986 (@ 20). Though all the boats were handled from the bench seat in the back with the helm usually on the port side, they were built in three different seating configurations. The first had two seats in a walk-through style in front of the windshields. The second had a cockpit fitted and the walk-through removed. This version was fitted with an cockpit controlled electric sunroof style hatch that would drop down and slide forward under the deck...pretty cool...only two of these were built. The electric hatch was replaced with a manually removed hatch that slid into a pocket under the deck. The third had the front cockpit removed and the bench was fitted with a bolster for two people. in any of the later two versions, when you were alone in the boat, it had an awesome long, low look from the side and from the helm. The ride was smooth and sound. A few of the customers included Barry Gibb of the Bee Gee's, one of Henry Ford's grandsons (delevered in Detriot Lions colors). The last one built was a Cook red and white with blue pins. it had a 370hp 454 w/TRS and clever. it would run in the mid seventies (light on fuel).
You should look at it, and see which year and type it is..., let me know.

Later
Philip
Thanks for the responses Emmo and Philip. This Criterian is the version with the bench seat ,walk thru and two seats in front of the windshields. 1984 model supossedly.It is mostly white with blue accents.I saw the boat for sale at Lake Lanier and told two other Donzi guys in my office about it. Those of you that were at the Portofino may recall Randy with the blue and white 18' Corsican.You'll see him next year with the Criterian!

------------------

Forrest
04-26-2000, 11:23 AM
I guess I'm showing my age because I remember seeing that black Criterion at the Miami Show back in '76 or was that '77. Anyway, I really thought it was the coolest boat at the show . . well, the full race Magnum Starfire and 53 were pretty cool too. In those days, Donzi had a huge indoor booth at the Miami Beach Convention Center in a highly visible location. I guess when times got tight in the early eighties, one of the first things to go was the expensive floor space at the show. Too bad, since now they are now stuck outside next to all of the Johnny-come-lately boat companies. I do hope that Donzi is on the waiting list to get back inside.

------------------
Forrest

Scott Pearson
04-26-2000, 05:00 PM
Tom,
I ownedr a Criterion II some years ago. The boat was a Two seater and Donzi designed it to be in a "Iroc series" type race. Meaning that all the boats were built the same and it was up to the driver and Throttle man to win. This boat had a 454 with a borg warner trans, It was equiped with Gail Banks Twin Turbos. My boat had all of this still in place. The front hatch that was metioned in the other reply's was filled shut. It was a true 96MPH boat. They only made 12 of these Criterion II models.

(NJ) Scott

harbormaster
04-26-2000, 06:04 PM
http://www.donzi.net/criterion.jpg

[This message has been edited by harbormaster (edited 04-26-2000).]

AVickers
04-26-2000, 06:13 PM
For those who don't like to get beat up by pounding waves from the front seat, this boat would be great! I had a Holmes that placed the driver in the back and the fatigue factor was way less after a long day on the waves than when sitting in the front seats...

I looked seriously at a Criterian a while back, but just couldn't part with my notion of the 22' Classic and what it should look like.

Oh well.

wbateman
04-29-2000, 02:04 PM
Well it's a done deal!!! Randy has this boat! Tom and I went with him today for some speed runs. Sure is a sweet riding boat!!