PDA

View Full Version : Rusty Exhaust Manifold Bolts

RickR,GroveCity
04-22-2000, 08:22 PM
1. The new 22 has Merc cast exhaust manifolds.
The bolts are rusted to a point I cannot get a socket on them.

I hate to ruin a die grinder bit on the Grade 5 bolts and then take the vice grips to them.

Acetyline torch would be tough in the engine compartment. http://206.150.187.82/ubb/eek.gif

You saltwater guys have and ideas?

2.Any ideas on how to get 5 years of paraffin residue (from 656) off the engine.
It,s nearly as tough a cosomoline.

3.Where can I find a late model dial type on/off switch. Rex,BoatU/S,West, and Expiditer don't have them.

Thanks

------------------
RickR mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

CDMA
04-23-2000, 12:22 AM
Rick,

The lower size socket seems to work well in many places where there is rust. I just finished taking apart a totally ruster powertrain out of my 68 and with a little bit of penetrating oil and metric sockets you can usually make it work. I find that in many cases a 6 point metric socket are just be a bit smaller and get a better grip on the bolts especially with the rust taking a little off the heads. Also something to think about. I have an extension dedicated to tapping smaller sockets on. If you tap the socket directly I have found that over time you actually can fold the edge over....yes even on my snap-on stuff. Best of luck with the new boat. Also if you can find it Kroil is by far the best penetrating oil.

Chris

Forrest
04-24-2000, 08:32 AM
. . . and if you can't fit the next size smaller US socket on the bolts try a metric. If the manifolds are to be discarded and the bolt heads are at the point where you can't get anything on them, consider taking an air-hammer with a cold chisel bit and break them into small pieces. DO NOT USE ANY FLAME ON ANYTHING IN SIDE OF AN ENGINE COMPARTMENT. Also, do not try the old trick of arc-welding a nut to the head of the old bolt. This method works great, but not inside of an engine compartment. If all else fails, pull the engine (provided that you can remove the engine with the exhaust manifolds still attached) and then you can do any thing you want to it.

------------------
Forrest

[This message has been edited by Forrest (edited 04-24-2000).]

Forrest
04-24-2000, 08:39 AM
As for the years of CRC-656 buildup. Simple Green is safe, smells good, and is effective, but Castrol Super Clean will eat that stuff away faster than anything. Be sure to uses rubber gloves when using Castrol Super Clean.

------------------
Forrest

Jamesbon
04-24-2000, 11:05 AM
Not sure if you can fit a vice grips around the bolt, but that's an old favorite of mine. As long as there's room, and you lock the vice grips on so hard that your hand hurts after, it works, sometimes. (I assume you've soaked'em with CRC - WD-40)

Ah, those freaking rusty pieces of ^%(^%$%#!! Throughout the years, I've converted almost all nuts and bolts to Stainless steel, what a difference.

BERTRAM BOY
04-24-2000, 01:05 PM
Rick,
I've been using "ZEP 45" for a while, and have had great luck with it. It works good enough to get rusty old bolts out of a seawater pump. Good luck.
BERTRAM BOY

[This message has been edited by BERTRAM BOY (edited 04-24-2000).]