PDA

View Full Version : Any engine Oil and Filter preference

TRU-JACK
10-16-2001, 02:54 PM
My local MerCruiser dealer said not to use synthetic oil, as the engine wasn't designed for it, and it will cause problems down the road. Is this true? What oil and filter would you guys suggest? 4.3LX 4bbl Alpha, on 16 Classic.

thanks ;)

Forrest
10-16-2001, 03:13 PM
As for an oil filter, I would go for a Hastings, Baldwin, Wix, K&N, or a Purolater Pure One. IMO, stay away from Fram - even the HP version.

Check out this thread posted a while back.
http://www.donzi.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=001827

BigGrizzly
10-16-2001, 03:46 PM
Your dealer is out of line. Synthetics are fine, I use them in my blown 502, my 351 ford clevland, my 16 with a 302. Bill Bateman uses it in his 4.3 OMC.
Filters -stay with a name brand. Forrest doesn't like Fram becayse of some press one of their ex-engineers said. I don't yse then either, but only because I don't like the color. I was doing some test for my company and found them to be compatable and ok just don't overdo it between oil changes--no filter likes that.

Randy

Shanghied Again
10-16-2001, 04:07 PM
I only use Vavoline racing 40 in my motor, Sorry Forrest I use that ugly Orange filter. Now I use nothing, there is a big hole in the back were there once was a motor. and a drive.

RickR
10-16-2001, 05:09 PM
On my High Performance 454 I used Vavoline Racing 40 or Kendall Racing 40w w/Fram and changed twice a year.

With my stock 454 Mag I use Castrol Heavy Duty 40W and Fram.

Any good STRAIGHT 40W and quality filter is OK with a stock engine as long as they are changed often and your engine does not overheat.

TRU-JACK
10-16-2001, 05:18 PM
Thanks,

Should i try to get the 25w-40, which is the same as the merc oil?

Sam
10-16-2001, 05:36 PM
Vavoline racing oil, 40-50 wt with Delco oil filter. I use this on my Donzi(5.7) and my mother ship with twin 454 Mercruiser Horizons.

Sam

ClassicRazorback
10-16-2001, 05:41 PM
I like Wix filters and Havoline oil.
Chris

Forrest
10-16-2001, 09:08 PM
Well Big Grizz you are right about me reading an article on a website, which I see, by the way, is no longer out there. What this guy did who did the website was to cut open each filter and analyze the construction and quality of the each individual component of the filter. Anyway, it was easy to see that some filters are built much better than others. Many filters, such as off-brand and house-brand filters, such as those used in many "Jiffy Lube" type places, are actually built by one of the major filter builders. He also talked about some filters having better anti-drainback valves than others, where some filters would allow oil to drain back from the oil passages causing a "noisy" startup. With that in mind and knowing that Ginny's '89 Bronco made a nasty valve-train noise for the first five or so seconds after a cold startup, I decided to change the oil myself and remove the Penzoil branded Fram filter that Super-Lube installed and replace it with a Purolator oil filter . . . and you know what, that 'ol Bronco starts quietly now - all that valve train clatter on cold start is now gone. Also, I cut open the Penzoil filter to check for metal an other junk stuck in the media and also to verify that the internal components matched Fram - and it did. Now, on a Chevrolet V-8 engine, the anti-drainback valve may not be an issue and a Fram would work just fine. I also agree, synthetic oil is the way to go.

RickSE
10-17-2001, 02:11 PM
Ditto on Valvoline Racing 40 wt. and I only use Delco oil filters.

mattyboy
10-17-2001, 04:13 PM
damn,
I can never catch a break, just changed the oil used sae 30 and a fram filter( got 2 with the boat when I bought it ) well it will wait till spring and I'll do it over
hell with Murphy's law it should be called Matty's law.

Matt
waiting for the other shoe to drop

riverrat
10-17-2001, 04:47 PM
My master merc guy uses the merc filter & casrol 40. he builds & services many high $$ mercruiser boats. I have not had any problems. He also say's to change it at 50 hrs to be safe if you run WOT all the time like I do.(hard to have a Donzi & not do that) :D

BigGrizzly
10-17-2001, 08:23 PM
We have kicked this ball around the court more then once. I have spent endless month running oil test for my company. My merc manual says 30 wt oil sg index. I use to use 30 in all my boats, untill recently now I use Amesoil, due to the racing success of my race bike partly due to Amesoil. My 16 is on its third engine due worn out, none due to oil failure.
Just stay away from 10w 40 it is the worst any maker has bar none. In 1984 GM put out a bulletin the would void warranty if it was used. My test concer. use what you have.

Randy

Bad-Tat
10-17-2001, 11:00 PM
Amsoil Series 2000 20-50 works great in Ltl Red. Run it all summer and it still looks like it just came from the can. I run that in everything I have from the boat's 4.3 to the 5.0 in my truck and all bikes in between. As Randy said it served him well for his vintage racing Honda which came out on top in 99!!

TRU-JACK
10-18-2001, 10:32 AM
Just got some Mobil 1 Delvac 5w-40 for the turbo deisel. Does anyone see a problem with this in the 16 Donzi with the 4.3 ?
thanks ;)

gerry
10-18-2001, 12:08 PM
I use Amzoil and Hasting filter on both my Cigarette and Batboat.