PDA

View Full Version : NEW 22

RickR,GroveCity
04-20-2000, 08:42 PM
http://206.150.187.82/ubb/biggrin.gif I purchased Randy and Joy's 22 Classic, Generation V 454Magnum w/Bravo. (at the Portifino the white one with blue stripes)
Top right thumbnail in Emmo's pics of the show.

Randy did a great job keeping her shined up and tuned but now it's time to rigg her out and build some power, 62MPH just wont get it.
I figure a couple years and $10,000 to bring her up to the standards of my 18, "Genuine Risk".
I plan on picking your brains so stay tuned.

BTW I'll be selling the 22s trailer in September,
1995 Performance Marine ,galvanized, $800

And I am reducing Genuine Risk (my 18 Classic with 420HP/454) to $14,900
(Listed in Registry's Boats for sale)

------------------
RickR mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

Frank Civitano
04-20-2000, 08:57 PM
Hi Rick.. Congradulations!! on the 22, Great boat. 454mag great motor to work with.
Best of luck

------------------
Frank Civitano

Hotboat
04-20-2000, 09:24 PM
Congrats, I am happy for you. I know how you have wanted one.

------------------
Hotboat

RichF
04-20-2000, 10:59 PM
Rick:
Congrats! Enjoy & use in good health! I only wish I had the funds available to purchase "Genuine Risk". I really miss "Rabble Rouser", especially since the weather's getting warmer. I like 18's just fine, and yours would probably be one of the meanest butt-kickers in the bay!!

------------------
Rich mailto:fngrht@aol.comfngrht@aol.com</A>

http://www.corvetteforum.net/classics/richf/d.jpg

[This message has been edited by RichF (edited 04-20-2000).]

PaulO
04-20-2000, 11:44 PM
Congrats Rick!! I just got back from the dealer. He had a leftover 97 22 that I was looking at. I had never seen one up close until today. What a beautiful boat. It is amazing how much larger it is than the 18 and it still retains the same proportions. I would imagine that the 22 would be capable of some much rougher water than the 18. Anyway, too expensive for me to justify.
Rich F. - The old girl is almost ready. Paint is done, engine and drive are in, steering on the right side, new gauges and windshield. Looks great! I promised my wife that if it doesn't go at least 10mph faster, I will set it aflame and adrift!!! All winter long she would come out to the garage and say " wasn't this a good looking, great running boat that you have now completely disassembled"!!
Paul

Forrest
04-21-2000, 11:42 AM
Congrats, Rick! Yea, keep the 18. What are you going to do with procedes from the sale, leave it in your will? Everyone should have at least two Donzis!!!

------------------
Forrest

RichF
04-21-2000, 02:20 PM
Paul:
Did you say "windshield"? What's the matter, don't you like swallowing bugs and stuff and drooling at 60MPH+ ?? Hope I can get a ride sometime this season!! Good luck.

------------------
Rich mailto:fngrht@aol.comfngrht@aol.com</A>

http://www.corvetteforum.net/classics/richf/d.jpg

[This message has been edited by RichF (edited 04-21-2000).]

PaulO
04-21-2000, 02:45 PM
Rich,
Yeah, Windshield. I know most of the guys don't like them. As a matter of fact, I got mine from someone who removed it. But, I have to admit, I like the look. More modern. While some of the guys are trying to keep the older boats as original as possible, I have seen several new ones that I really like and I don't mind emulating them. I might feel differently if mine was a '66 or '67. The invitation stands for you and your wife to come out for a ride. All we need is a little more work and some good weather.
Paul

Peter Beck
04-21-2000, 07:35 PM
Well guys I just picked up my 98- 22 today that I purchased in February. It seemed like six months since I bought her. Rick I hope she runs well with the 502? This is my first Donzi and am looking forward to the day she gets wet. Maybe in about three weeks we can compare notes. I have a photo on the Registry just ignore the snow!
Peter Beck

AVickers
04-21-2000, 08:18 PM
Must be the season for 22s...

I had my new boat out last weekend and it was radical. I was truly the "bid dog" on the lake. She's an 87 and needs a lot of sorting out, but she's fast and furious.

One thing though, the windshield has been replaced and it doesn't have the "eyelashes" on other 22s of this vintage.

As a result, the slipstream is right at my eye/ear level. Makes going fast 60 to 70 MPH miserable -- puts a 90MPH wind right in my face and ears...

Anybody else run into this problem. Anybody know of any fixes? I can place my hand on the top of the windshield and it's enough to stop the madness.

johndmay
04-22-2000, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by avickers:
Must be the season for 22s...

As a result, the slipstream is right at my eye/ear level. Makes going fast 60 to 70 MPH miserable -- puts a 90MPH wind right in my face and ears...

Anybody else run into this problem. Anybody know of any fixes? I can place my hand on the top of the windshield and it's enough to stop the madness.

Sure! Get a good pair of goggles!

Frank Civitano
04-22-2000, 05:30 PM
They make shields just like they have on a Cigarette. They clip on your windshield and deflect the air off your face, Hotboat mag- Finney,Lake havasu-www.finneys.com Or Powerboat mag -These really look cool they clip on, Forbid wind calamar industries 1587 Union ave Hewlet, NY 1157. 516, 795-0794

------------------
Frank Civitano

RickR,GroveCity
04-22-2000, 08:09 PM
Thanks Guys

------------------

jimmyc
04-23-2000, 07:51 PM
congrats on the new boat....you will love the 22! i repowered my 22 a couple of years ago.....goodbye 454 hello 502! good luck!

jim

RickR,GroveCity
04-24-2000, 10:05 AM
JimmyC
Is your 22 a Classic?
When you went to a 502, what exhaust did you use.
BTW I know this is sacralige but so far I like my King Cobra better than the Bravo.

------------------

CDMA
04-24-2000, 11:11 PM
Rick,

Just out of curiosity why?

Chris

RickR,GroveCity
04-25-2000, 08:33 AM
Chris
My first impressions

King shifts smoother and has alot less gear lash
King has an oil circulating pump
Steering on King has less slop (I realize much of steering play is in the helm and cable)and takes less effort.

Bravo
I like the resivoir in on the engine
Props and parts more available.
Either the paints are better or the Mercathode really works.

------------------

AVickers
04-25-2000, 09:33 AM
While we're on the subject of drives on 22s, does anyone know of an Alpha-to-Bravo swap that doesn't involve changing out the transom plate and everything else from the flywheel back??? (I have some pricing on a complete kit for a Bravo III swap and, although it includes everything new, it's pretty pricey...)

As you may have surmised, I have an Alpha on my 22 and after only one weekend have grown to hate it! I'm an old Volvo nut and probably won't like the Bravo either, but all the clunking and clanking and gear whine and killing the engine to shift is what I would call piss poor engineering -- or, to put it more technically, pure, unadulterated crap! (Sorry Alpha guys, but compared to the Volvo clutch-based rigs that I'm familiar with -- the Alpha rig is, at best, primative... Not much better than an outboard foot from the early 60s!).

I also understand that I can expect my Alpha to grenade one day behind the Rat -- especially if I "improve" it. My point being that when the time comes to replace this Alpha, I don't want to install another one.

I know, I know, the Alpha was never designed to live behind a Rat (or a high-horsepower Mouse, for that matter) and when properly used, it's supposed to be a good drive, but that's the boat I got and I'd like to make it better. (I had my Volvo-driven 18 Classic out this weekend and its shifting is so superior to the Alpha that you almost feel sorry for it -- especially when you consider that the Volvo technology is years older than the "new in the eighties" Alpha...

I know that I'll have to install a raw water pump and change out drive yokes and shift linkage/cables, etc. But I really would like to know if a Bravo can be made to fit where an Alpha once lived without changing EVERYTHING...

I'm a machinist, so making up some parts or pins won't be a problem.

BERTRAM BOY
04-25-2000, 11:24 AM
AVICKERS,
Have you looked into the Konrad Omega drive? It's supposed to be a direct replacement for the Alpha drive (only stronger) Konradmarine.com
BERTRAM BOY

[This message has been edited by BERTRAM BOY (edited 04-25-2000).]

AVickers
04-25-2000, 11:35 AM
Thanks,

I'll check it out.

RickR,GroveCity
04-25-2000, 12:30 PM
avickers
Check out www.dolleroffshore.com (http://www.dolleroffshore.com) for used Bravo's and transom brackets.
I have read that the transom cut out is very similar to a Alpha, ask Doller.
Make sure you use the correct X dimension for the new drive.
Before you lunch the Alpha you may be able to sell it or trade it in on the Bravo.
TNT (Miami) might be able to help also 1-305-944-2118

------------------

Stromer
04-25-2000, 09:27 PM
You did it! CONGRATS MAN.
I think you should keep both boats - that's my dream to sit at the dock and decide Hmmm 18 or 22 today! I'm happy for ya - next year in FLA you will have to lead the way.

PaulO
04-26-2000, 10:20 AM
It really seems that this 22 thing is contagious. I was wondering; when did the 22 come to be? Did someone stretch the 18? Are there good years and not-so-good years? What kind of speed can be expected with a healthy rat?
Paul

RickR,GroveCity
04-26-2000, 08:50 PM
PaulO
Similar hull disign but not as much rocker as my 18.
At the show the Donzi guys said 68 to 70 with the Generation VI 454 (Roller Hyd)
My first impressions are that the 18 is alot more fun inshore, 22 better offshore.

------------------

RickR,GroveCity
04-26-2000, 08:51 PM
Andy
Thanks, see you in Sept.

------------------