PDA

View Full Version : Seat cushion maintenance

TRU-JACK
10-15-2001, 07:08 PM
I removed the seats today to clean and store for the winter, and noticed that one of the seat cushions is a little wet. The cover easily zips off, but does anyone have any tips on drying the foam cushion so it doesn't mildew (sp)?
thanks ;)

Dvo
10-15-2001, 08:21 PM
If the internal foam is wet, you need to
pull it out and let it dry out for about a day. Just be sure you remember the shape
of the foam when you pull it out, so it will
match the form when you stuff it back in the
vinyl cover. Also, you want the internal cover completely dry before you return the foam to its original position. Suggest you also clean the exterior vinyl cover and treat
it with an ArmorAll type protectant before storing the seats under a dust cover for the
winter.

TRU-JACK
10-16-2001, 09:43 AM
That's what i'm in the process of doing. I usually treat it with 303, as it's the best for vinyl because it isn't petroleum based. ;)

Danny
10-16-2001, 11:11 AM
Tru Jack
I clean mine with Vim{with bleach) and them use 303 or Armourall to keep them soft.
I also store my upholstery in a heated envionment, I think that helps to keep them softer and less brittle especially with the winters we get, any dampness left in them freezes and then they crack easily.
I am in Orillia regularly so we should cross paths sometime.
Danny

RickR
10-16-2001, 05:18 PM
I use Mequire's Vinyl Conditioner and Cleaner.

When trailering (especially in Florida) the road grit that settles on the seats will work it's way back between the vinyl and pipeing, so after a road trip I blow the threads out with compressed air.

DonziDave
10-18-2001, 07:22 PM
Be sure to only use cleaners made for soft vinyls. Many household cleaners such as 409, etc. will damage your seats. Read the fine print. Many say "not for use on soft vinyl."
Dave