PDA

View Full Version : 188th Street

wje
04-19-2000, 08:04 AM
I was very excited to stumble across this site the other day. I have been a lifelong enthusiast of the Miami built boats of the 60's and early 70's.
I grew up in Sarasota during this time and used to pretend I was the great man himself at the helm of "The Cigarette" ( a Cary 32)winning the Bahamas 500, when I was, in fact, just a kid at the tiller of my 9.5 Johnson hung on the back of my little MFG speeding around the canals of Phillipi Creek and jumping cruiser wakes in Sarasota Bay. I would spend hours wasting the time of salesman at Siesta Key Marine, which was the Donzi dealer there at that time. I had friends with Glastron GT 150's and 160's, Carlson CVX-16's and Checkmates(MX-13,15) but we all used to long for the Ultimate Donzi.
I have owned countless boats since that time, and spent the vast majority of my working life in the marine industry. Yet, I continue to be drawn to the magic boats of this era. Big beefy stringers, heavy mat lay ups and speed created by raw power and brute force. Velvet smooth ride.
Currently, I have a 21GT in the process of a repower and restoration. I knew the day I bought this boat that I would always own it. I will ultimately own others as well, but this one is a keeper. I had her on a mooring in Maine a few years back, and when I would row the dinghy ashore, my eyes would be constantly drawn back, one more glance. The object of childhood dreams. What fun.

raritan
04-19-2000, 09:06 AM
This is a really nice post. HOW REFRESHING.
THANKS

MattM
04-19-2000, 10:21 AM
Speaking of 188th street: I was pleased to see the multipage write up on Cigarette in this months Hot Boat, it looks like they are thriving. The one sad note was the passing comment that Apache Powerboats had uncerimoniously closed their doors. Whenever I go to Miami it seems like 188th street changes a little more, first the Condos across the way, then the demise of Fort Apache, now they have fishing boats and jet skis in the storage racks, and now this. I guess I must be old enough to remember "the good ol' days".

Forrest
04-19-2000, 11:50 AM
Apache Powereboats is not gone, they moved!

Apache Powerboats
20440 NE 15 Court
Miami, FL 33179

305-493-4999

------------------
Forrest

Tony
04-19-2000, 04:35 PM
wje,

Great post. We learned how to barefoot behind a Glastron 130 w/ a Merc 65, back about that time. It helped that we were little squirts, 12 yr. olds! That old Glastron is still around, and still as solid as a rock. 90% of that hull's life has been spent at WOT! Cool little boat...as we got heavier we had to wear tennis shoes to keep enough speed. We were shoein' instead of footin' but both were were a blast.

Crazy Horse
04-19-2000, 11:08 PM
Positively 188th Street:
Enjoyed reading your post. Brought back similar memories. We had (still own it) a early 60's 13' Whaler. We would tilt up the engine then sit on the floor and it would feel like we were driving a speedboat... That wind in my face while zooming around on the edge is still just as wonderful.
'Crazy Horse'

superhatz
04-19-2000, 11:31 PM
Me too...I had a 60's vintage 13 whaler that I cruised in when I was young. I soon became obsessed with the boats made on 188th. But this was in Minnesota... Donzis, Cigarettes and Magnums were very uncommon. Every time I went out I would drive by an early 28 Cigarette that sat on a lift. The boat never moved...I want to find it again I know that guy didn't appreciate what he had.

Cool stories guys.

GeneD
04-20-2000, 06:42 AM
HA!
Listen to this one...
My brother and I spotted an old wooden boat shaped very similar to a mid seventies Checkmate across the street from my cousin's house back in 1975. We bought it from the guy (who built it from a kit) for $50. took it home and made it seaworthy. Painted the hull red and white (very similar to 007) with the topsides varnished. We bought 2 bucket seats from a 1964 Mustang for $20 and installed them, (we didn't have a back seat).
All we had was an old 2 cylinder Evinrude from the 50's. We rebuilt that and hung that on the back.
The maiden voyage was rough. No kidding, there were 5 footers rocking through the inlet. We donned our father's ocean life vests from his sportfisherman and my motorcycle helmets and took the "Exodus" out for a ride.
We thought we were the almighty Don Aronow and Knocky House. We were taking that thing out of the water so much, I thought for sure we would lose the motor off the back.
Later on in the week, my brother did just that. My buddy Tommy was acting asd co-pilot when he lost it. The motor fell off the transom and was being held to the boat by the cables! Still running!!!!!
We laugh until we cry when we talk about that boat.
The memory of trying to re-inact Don's racing days in that old wooden boat still cracks me up.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

[This message has been edited by GeneD (edited 04-20-2000).]

kingair
04-20-2000, 01:01 PM
Haning lived on 203rd street i used to ride my bike past the then three factories on 188th. I would peak through the fence looking into the laminating room and look at the boats ready to ship. I would tallk my way in to get a brochure or two. Little did I know that was the start of a lifelong involvement with powerboats. Years later, as a rigger/mechanic for DONZI, I would love heading down the canal standing in the engine compartment during water trials. What a feeling!
Later
Philip
Philip

superhatz
04-20-2000, 09:26 PM
Yeah..Gene I'll have to admit...My buddy Matt and I did the motorcycle helmet and life vest thing too. We'd find the roughest days to play ocean racer (on a lake in a 13 foot whaler).

Good humor!