PDA

View Full Version : Primer choice ?

Sam
02-04-2002, 06:07 PM
When painting new aluminum engine parts what type of primer do you recommend. In the past when painting aluminum outboard parts I have always used the green zinc chromate primer, would this work for high heat area's. Thanks in advance for you help.

Sam

Scott Pearson
02-05-2002, 08:07 AM
Sam,
This system will work great. PPG DX1791 and DX1792 wash prime. Mix 1:1 and spray a thin coat on everything. You just want to tint the surface with this. About .5 of a mil. Its not ment to fill.

Then let flash an hour and spray 2 full wet coats of DPLF epoxy and DPLF 402 hardner. Wait 15 min between coats. It comes in different colors DPLF 40 Green,48 White, 50 Gray, 60 Blue, 74 Red, 90 Black. Mix 2 parts of DPLF to 1 part of DPLF 402 and 1 part of DT870 reducer.

Your good to go....Tis works great!

(NJ)Scott

Sam
02-05-2002, 12:02 PM
Scott, that's quite a cocktail. It's sounds like good advice, I'll need to get my painter friend to help me with this. As soon as it's done I'll send you some pic's.

THX
Sam

Rootsy
02-05-2002, 02:24 PM
oh yeah, the PPG DP series epoxy primers are goooood stuff.. pricy too... but worth it.. they etch the surface for adhesion... you basically have to grind on it through to the surface to get any kind of rust or corrosion... i've gone through gallons and gallons of this stuff.. i'm a satisfied customer...

Scott Pearson
02-05-2002, 05:44 PM
Sam,
When you are ready for color use PPG Delta DGHS. Its bullet proof. It will hold up for years. I used the whole system that I metioned on my drive a Motor. Its like the day I did it.

Good Luck.

(NJ)Scott

AVickers
02-05-2002, 06:09 PM
BE CAREFUL!

Some catalyzed paints have cyanide and/or other really bad stuff in them. USE THEM IN AREAS WITH ADEQUATE VENTILATION AND IT'S ALWAYS BEST TO USE A POSITIVE PRESSURE RESPIRATOR.

My brother-in-law used to shoot a lot of Imron and he just ain't right... I'm thinking maybe it was the paint. eek.gif

I used to shoot a lot of PPG catalyzed urethane and it would sure kill all the bugs downwind of my booth's exhaust... tongue.gif