PDA

View Full Version : Is acid too hard on my hull?

TRU-JACK
10-12-2001, 10:33 AM
Unfortunately, my tow vehicle was in an accident, and i need a new marine railway to get into the boathouse, so i've left my boat at a friends place in a canal, and the bottom is covered in algea and a yellow stain. Some marina guys told me they use an acid cleaner to remove the stain etc... is this too strong? What do you guys reccommend? Thanks ;) Hopefully get at it this weekend.

rms
10-12-2001, 11:14 AM
I've used 'On & Off' by MaryKate products. Apply to a rag, wipe it on the hull and rinse with a hose. Wear gloves and don't drip on your trailer as it contains acid. The downside is that after using this product, my hull seems more susceptible to future stains, unless I wax the hull. Good luck and don't inhale!

Dennis
10-12-2001, 12:36 PM
I use Muratic Acid from the hardware store about $2.00 a gallon. I put it in a Spray bottle and spray it on. BUT YOU HAVE TO STAND UPWIND,if it gets on you, your clothes or anything aluminum its ugly. I use it in the street and my car is not around. I have also done it at the carwash when the wind is in the right direction. It will bleach the cement, so don't use it in the drivway
It will NOT hurt the boat, outdrive or rubber products, It will attach algea and any living organism as well as metals. Baking soda is the nutralizer if you feel the need.
I use it on everything below the waterline then rinse it off and wash with soap and water. A long handle scrub brush is manditory.
YOUR FIRST TIME GO SLOW AND BE CARFULL When you do get it on you, you will learn REAL FAST what you can and can't do. After that you'll like it cause its fast and easy.
As far as wax? I use SCAT on the bottom
and its still there after the wash (I can see it)
If you have rust or unpainted area on your trailer it will promote rust. If you have an aluminum trailer DON'T DO IT AT ALL.
OVEN-OFF and Tidy bowl use the same active ingrediant but very diluted. GO SLOW! wear gloves and keep it off your face IT BURNS BAD for at least a half hour,
and if you breath the vapors you WILL get sick (trust me) anyone who uses it will agree I have been using it on my boats for 15 years without a problem, except for what I stated
and I have learned from expierence. Everyone I know uses it and have learned the same lessons. GOOD LUCK your algea will be gone immediatly and the stains will be gone after it dries a few hours.
REMEMBER STAY UPWIND and 90% of your problems are over. good luck!!

Sam
10-12-2001, 01:13 PM
Dido regarding Dennis's remarks. I would presure wash first then apply your choice of cleaners. Keep this stuff away from paint and YOU ! good luck.

Sam

PaulO
10-12-2001, 03:30 PM
I use Oxalic acid which is the ingredient in MaryKate's On and Off. It is cheaper to buy it in powder form from West Marine and just dissolve a little in water. Instructions on bottle caution not to get it on the trailer but, there is no way to avaid it. I have been doing this every week for over a year and there is no evidence of any ill effects on the hull or trailer or driveway.
PaulO

oldLenny
10-12-2001, 07:01 PM
...it is if you "drop" some and then take your boat out for a ride... :rolleyes:

TRU-JACK
10-13-2001, 02:16 PM
Thanks guys.

It's pouring rain today, so i'll have to wait til this week some time. ;)

Extreme Measures
10-14-2001, 09:30 PM
JACK
SAME THING THAT DENNIS SAID THAT ACID IS THE TRICK BUT BE VERY CAREFULL

YOUR FRIEND IN BOATING

EXTREME MEASURES :eek: