PDA

View Full Version : 1986 18' classic-350, alpha drive - question

clayman
10-12-2001, 06:53 AM
Hello,
i just registered with the group.
I am looking at purchasing a 1986 18' classic-350, alpha drive, it has a cracked exhaust manifold. how much is this to fix? Also, is this an indication of other problems? He is asking $6000 IS that to much or a deal, he stated the boat is in fair, restorable condition, with approx. 350 hours on it. any help is appreciated.
James

HP 600SC
10-12-2001, 07:02 AM
Is that the one in Savannah Ga.?
If so it has a very strange windshield
on it. If the exaust manifold is cracked
it might have been overheated. I would consider a compression test.
just my 2 cents.

Formula Jr
10-12-2001, 07:05 AM
About $250 for a new BARR exhaust. Another $120 for the riser if needed. About $30 in studs and nuts. $12 in gaskets. The hard part is taking out all those rusted studs and nuts. The exhausts are heavy but it can be a one man operation. Remember to sand off the paint on the faces of the ports before installing if this has not been done. Once you get the cracked one off, you can see if its really cracked or if its rusted out, usually a combo of both. If its in really bad shape, I'd replace both while your dirty and pissed off at removing nuts and studs. It is not an indication of any other problems except the usual wear and tear on an '86 raw, saltwater cooled engine. In other words your risers may also be shot.

boxy
10-12-2001, 08:51 AM
I've spoke to the owner a couple of times. He did mention that there was enough water leaking out of the manifold to cause the temp to rise. Other than that, it seems pretty decent.
X-DonziTester, drop me a line, I'll fill you in on the windshield.

clayman
10-15-2001, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the tips guys, sounds like I will havea little project on my hands. Hey , what is up with that windshield anyway?
Clayman