PDA

View Full Version : Waterline stain

Donzi Dave
04-13-2000, 10:09 PM
My Donzi is a 1986 red/white 18 2+3. Freshwater boat always stays lifted in boathouse. No bottom paint - boat is immaculate except over the years a stain has dulled the red gel coat about 1" wide at the waterline (White/grey in color). Have tried Mequires color restorer, On-Off cleaner (great stuff by the way), 600 wet sanding, buffing, etc..etc. Have not had much luck. This is the only blemish on the boat and it irritates the hell out of me. Anyone out there have a suggestion for product or technique? Thanks, Dave from Lake Wylie - home of the Holman Moody marine days.

kingair
04-14-2000, 09:30 PM
sorry, but there is not much hope if your hull is COOK RED. This gecoat is a pigmented clear and the base color is clear. as the pigment or added color is exposed to UV it fades or burns....especially under the waterline. It is a permanant condition. There is no level of buffing or sanding that will bring it back. some recovery can be obtained from buffing....but the finish will still remain "blotched" for lack of better terms, this is due to the different concentrations of pigment in the gelcoat at the time of application.
Later
Philip

Donzi Dave
04-14-2000, 09:58 PM
Kingair - Thanks for the reply. After numerous efforts to remove, I had resolved myself to the fact that the condition was probably permanent. Maybe it's time for a tasteful boot stripe. Thanks - Dave

CDMA
04-15-2000, 07:39 AM
Go to West Marine and buy FSR. Wipe on spray off. Rewax. What I do for a living.

Chris

kingair
04-15-2000, 03:27 PM
YW

Kevan Donzi Ski Sporter16
04-18-2000, 08:44 PM
I had a bad gel coat fading problem with red, orange, and black. I would buff it out and then coat it with a thin layer of something that had a name like Turpinal or Pentral, or something close to that. It would do a pretty good job, and last several months, and then I would do it again mid-summer. It must be put on in a THIN coat and be allowed to dry completely before getting we. Good luck!

------------------
Kevan in Vermont Using Maple Syrup for that EXTRA horsepower advantage!