PDA

View Full Version : 28 ZXO Good buy or Bad?

Jake
02-03-2002, 08:57 PM
I have been looking at the new ZXO open bow. I have talked to several local dealers and no one seems to be able to sell this boat. I really like the idea because I like a performance boat and also love an open bow. I'm afraid if I get one it will not be worth anything once I get it. If there is anyone out there with any experience on this boat please let me know. Thanks.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-03-2002, 09:38 PM
Jake, I shopped the ZXO's hard mid year 2001 before buying a 26ZX for 20K less. I learned they were very nice, would be great to own, resale would be difficult in my opinion.
T 350 mags were reasonably priced mid to low $80, singles mid to low $70's, I know where you can buy an 2002, s 496MAGHO for low $70's. T 377 Scorps, $115, not a value in a bow rider, especially at resale time..
Powerboat mag said in their eval, a great bow rider, and I will agree when driven and trimmed right you MIGHT stay dry up front in the rough...
PB mag says you will... I THINK everyone who talks about rough does NOT own a measuring tape and has never seen one... like today on the Lake races, rough... it looked like one footers...
On a lake a ZXO would be awesome, in true 1 to 3 footers you are getting the folks up front wet.
I will be the first to tell ya the 26ZX in big water is NOT a dry ride... they land nice and flat but no matter how fast you go to try to stay on top you do get water some times.
Remember, 28's are only 14" longer than a 26 (26.5) and it is all in the bow, from the helm back they are the same as a 26ZX.
Would I buy one? When I was shopping yes... rates were to high and I could not get trade numbers, 9-11 happened, 6 to 7% int rate etc, great trade price etc, I went for what I was looking for in a 26ZX.
Measure your priorities and buy what suits ya, I do think they are very nice boats. Happy hunting.
Actually I know where two are, a 2001 left over and a brand new 2002.
Bryan

Jake
02-03-2002, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the reply Brian. Right now there is a 2001 with the Finishline Graphics and twin 350's. They are down to $92,000 now. They have had it for almost a year now. I love the idea and it would be mostly a river runner. I just hate the idea of having something that would be hard to resell. What is the primary use of your ZX 26. And what made the difference in the purchase other than the money. Thanks.

Donzigo
02-03-2002, 11:29 PM
Jake, There's a yellow one at Johns Pass Marina Donzi dealership, in St. Petersburg. It's been for sale for a long, long time, because I've seen it at the boat shows around here many times. I just don't think they are able to find a buyer, so, call them if you want a yellow one and are serious. Who knows what the price might be, by now. I've been boating in the gulf for 32 years and I wouldn't own, or even ride too far out in the ocean in any bow rider, because I have gotten caught in rough waters a time or two and when that happens, I want a closed front boat under me. That's not to say that it wouldn't be a nice boat to own, in the right circumstance. I just don't think there is a big market for a performance type open bow-rider boat, so re-sale would probably be a issue, later.

Just my 2 cents. cool.gif

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-04-2002, 05:02 AM
Jake, we made our decision after riding in a 26ZX, we had a 22ZX at the time, then I found one with no graphics which is what we wanted and things just started coming together.
In a river/lake enviroment I think a ZXO would be awesome. For us we almost never have smooth water, we boat in the bay, and as I said, when the bay turns to a washing mashine we get wet.

Good luck on your purchase, keep us posted and if you buy her send Harbormaster some pictures for the registry....
One piece of advice after seeing allot of friends buy new boats this year, and that is to test run her before buying.
Bryan

donzislsman
02-04-2002, 08:45 AM
Jake,

First of all best of luck with your search. In my opinion the ZXO is an awesome boat and is without a doubt our number 1 seller. The resale in the lake of the ozarks area is awesome, that is the most sought after style of boat in this market. We probably have some of the roughest water in the country on weekends, and I can't ever remember getting wet on a demo. Certainly no one has ever backed out of a ZXO deal because of a bad ride. In our opinion the best design Donzi has ever came out with for our market. Please feel free to let me know if I can help in anyway. We have four or five in stock at this time. Good luck.

Barry

Donzigo
02-04-2002, 11:56 AM
Barry, I can certainly see a Donzi ZXO for an inland waterway which doesn't have big rollers, like the ocean. A few years ago, one of my neighbors moved down and bought the boat of his dreams, I think a Regal bowrider,(It's been a while, he moved away) really beautiful and fairly big, (Probably in the 20 to 25 ft range). I saw the boat a month or two on his trailer.......uhhhhhh, in two parts, top and bottom. I said, hey, what gives? He says, well, we were out at Egmont, it came up a storm, we were on the way in fast, in a following sea, with big rollers and I stuffed it, we filled with water, it floated to the beach at Ft. Desoto and we wacthed out boat destroy itself in the surf. Scared us to death, and we are going to move away from the water. Now, I know anything is possible, so maybe this is just a fluke; but, you have to admit, Barry, that open water and bowriders don't exactly go hand in hand. Having said this, I'm still sure that the Donzi ZXO is perfect for the the right application.

Ozarkboater
02-04-2002, 12:53 PM
Jake,

Everything Barry Says is true, that particular style of boat has the highest resale value at the lake. A person could sell one of these down here in a heatbeat. I dont know about the coast, but they handle the four to six foot swells of LOTO just fine. If you dont believe me come see for yourself, call Barry and set up a drive at the dealer ship down here.

Donzigo,

Just wondering if you have ever road and drove a 28 ZXO?

Cramer

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-04-2002, 01:39 PM
I will clarify a couple things I said above.
There is no doubt a ZXO can take the rough, it is the same hull as a 28ZX hard deck, my point was in a practicle application your bow guests may get wet in big water especially under 50 MPH.
I also define wakes on a lake as occasional big water, not a two hour run of honest 2 to 3 footers trying to get home from a coastal trip etc. There is a difference.
Plus we all know wave size is rarely accurate from the eye, it is judged by seamans eye, Guessing/estimating, we take readings from Chesapeake Light before heading out, the NOAA service gives wave height, and periodicity, winds and a live camera, normally a SMA is issued above 5 feet, yet you read the stories of the 5 footers, some true, some not... I have been in several and they are scary, not fun..

Not sure where he said he was from, I am sure the ZXO's do great on most lakes for resale, although hull ZXO hull #14 http://www.shorelinemarina.com/donzi.htm has been on Smith Mountain Lake a year or so and has not sold, yet neither has their 26 with the painted bottom and windshield (I hate to call a Donzi uneasy on the eyes but that 26ZX is!)...

So I think in the right application it is awesome and for others it is a non player.
I also think the one up north for low $70's is a GREAT BUY, yes single engine, low 60 MPH boat.
my 2 cents.

How many ZXO's have the two dealers (Barry/Cramer) sold would be my next question?
Lastly, take MSRP of the boat and subtract
30 to 33% and that should be their best deal out the door, I know of a handfull of Donzi's that sold in 2001 and when you get the bottom line via email and do the math that is how it works out.
I know of almost every dealer in the USA, I could email you all the links and you could start looking. They willl still make money and you will get a good buy...
Bryan

donzislsman
02-04-2002, 02:10 PM
Bryan,

Not trying to argue with you, but please do not judge this water on Lake of the Ozarks until you have been here. I will promise you if its not the roughest water you have been on than it sure is close, ask anybody. The hard thing is there is no predictabililty to our water, the waves come at you from all directions not just head on. This lake is very narrow and packed with boats in the 40-60' range, large crusiers that don't know how to drive. I guess it all boils down to the fact that maybe we disagree on our thoughts of the ZXO, the one thing I do know is the fact that we have sold 10 ZXO's since they were introduced with deposits on two more. They are perfect for this type of boater we have here. Again, Bryan not trying to argue just telling you my thoughts.

Barry

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-04-2002, 02:24 PM
Barry, point noted, not judging, my opinion to practicality, how often is it that large?
I respect everyones input, that is how I learn.

Speaking of lakes I test drove my boat on Lake Erie, very cold and windy and it had nice big rollers, I was surprised, I really was, my wife grew up on Lake Erie and I have heard many stories from her.

Glad to hear of your success with the ZXO, I think the east coast has not had the same luck.
Maybe he will buy one from you.

ALSO let me add one dealer told me the S 496MAG HO would take her to 70, I think not, it won't push a 26 but to 68ish most of the time.
What speeds do you guys see in them???
r/Bryan

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-04-2002, 02:32 PM
Cramer, did you buy the Donzi we had email back and forth about?
Just wondering, our club is doing well, 2 26ZX's, a 33ZX soon and found out last night a 38ZX will be ordered soon.
Bryan

Jake
02-04-2002, 02:34 PM
Does anyone here use their boat in the Northest River in Northeast, MD? The boat would be used there and also in some local lakes and a great one in WV. Does anyone out there actually own one? Thanks for everyone's reply.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-04-2002, 02:39 PM
Maybe Barry can give you some references.
Good Luck.
Bryan

Forrest
02-04-2002, 02:41 PM
I'll second that about what Bryan saying about sea conditions at the mouth of the Chesapeake where it connects to the Atlantic. After living on the oceanfront at the north end of Virginia Beach and boating those waters for over 25 years, I can safely tell you that even on a nice day, it's usually as rough as hell, but not always! One thing that I will say about big lake waves is that they come at you from all directions of different sizes and period, whereas most of the time the waves in the Ocean and Gulf, though usually larger, come at you from only one direction with a uniform period.

. . . and then there is wake from atomic submarines going in and out of Hampton Roads - just stay the #%&* away!!! eek.gif

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-04-2002, 02:46 PM
Forrest, ,good to hear from you my friend..
When are you and Jenny visiting again???
We must host this time, not just an afternoon of boating!

Are you all set for KY?

Did you read my post about the Sunami I hit when I wasn't paying attention! LOL
We boated last Sunday and I heard momma scream and the bay was flat, but we found a wake from a cargo ship 2 miles away, all boats were airborne! Including to 34's, so you guess the wake size... I swear it was a six foot drop into he trough of it....
I love the the K controls, out of the throttle in an eye blink until re-entry... WOT!.....
Bryan

donzislsman
02-04-2002, 03:48 PM
Bryan,

Just to let you know we are only seeing low 50's with a single 454 mag 28ZXO we have and I couldn't see the Single 494MAG HO running much over 60mph. The difference in the weight ratio between a ZXO and a ZX we believe is lowering the speeds when you go to a single screw application. Talk to you all later.

Barry

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-04-2002, 04:01 PM
Thanks Barry, you know I believe the 2001 book list dry hull weight the same between, 28ZX and ZXO, yet PB Mag listed 500lbs more!

The weight of the 496 is a hair less that 454/502.
Who knows. I will say that a boat with a S 454 would be hard to get return on the $ even in a demanding market. I would think, depends again on owner needs and desires. I do know 454 26's are a bit harder to resale, I only know that based on what I read and what dealers tell me...
I spoke to one dealer who put T 260HP motors in a 28ZX or ZXO to keep cost down... an uneducated consumer will not know reality until several trips out, may not even realize it on test drive due to the overwhelming excitment. Resale even harder in this case.
GREAT Whipple platform at a decent cost is an upside...

I respect you sharing your info honestly, good business in my eyes, and good for all us Donzi owners who may want a 28 or ZXO someday.
Bryan

Ozarkboater
02-04-2002, 04:01 PM
Bryan,

To answer your question, no I did not buy a 26ZX yet. Mostly because I have found a house. I am verry undecisive, and before it is all over I will probibly change my mind again. confused.gif

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Cramer

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-04-2002, 04:05 PM
Cramer, congrats on the house...
I am sure all will fall into place...

Neat thread here, I have enjoyed it, you and Barry have given us some good info, thanks.
Bryan

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-04-2002, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the data poodle, I just have to ask you a question, wasn't that you after the falls raft up in KY and we all untied and low and behold you were floating on my boat, your wife was at your helm of your boat?
Made me stop so you could pee and jumped in GEOO's boat?
Do refresh my memory!
IF NOT, GEOO who was it? just curious.
DESCRIBED as: distinguished, beard, a buzz, a true lady's man, could piss on the shoreline 20 yards out!

And as far as the wave heights go, that comment was just based on reading too many posts on OSO and watching PB reports, hell I have had navy OOD's miss judge wave size and put a RHIB in the water and then me freak out because of it.
You have to admit there are some fish size stories out there.
Bryan

Dr. Dan
02-04-2002, 06:10 PM
Poodle You Are Correct Sir! We washed our boats off together on Sunday afternoon in the Lot! I do not recall the gentlemans name, it was not his only boat and he had just got it not long before Sota. He commented that it ran great and they were very happy with it! Jake,As for boating in the Northeast! We put in at Anchor Bay all summer long, that boat would be fine and then some in the Upper Bay,stuffing any boat is an issue we can all identify with. Ya just gotta be smart and boat safe! Accidents happen, thats why they're called accidents! I am very familiar with the Upper Bay waters and short of the crazy shipping traffic and the great "Turky Point and the Elk" you should enjoy that ride! We only have a 22 Classic, and I don't hesitate to run it anywhere up there(we could hook up this summer if you like), but I do keep my eye on the approaching weather, it comes in quick and strong anywhere in the Bay!... wink.gif ...Good Luck, Doc

ToonaFish
02-04-2002, 06:21 PM
The true wave height in Florida is actually the humidity forming a wall.

Bunches,
Anon.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-04-2002, 06:38 PM
Paging Poodle, my curiousity is up, was that you I mentioned in my last post?

Hi DOC.... I need to give you a call.
Bryan

Blewbyu
02-04-2002, 07:07 PM
Bryan-Don't think that was 'Poodle........we've heard up here in the Great NW, that even after 8 boat sodas,he's only good for 14 yards max! biggrin.gif tongue.gif biggrin.gif

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-04-2002, 09:02 PM
OK, Someone page GEOO, who was that guy, I will say no more until he is identified, but picture this, 30 boats cast of, I give it juice, turn around and there is this dude on my boat!!! By the way I drank coffee all day, no booze, so this was not a dream......

GEOO, you pulled over by the falls and picked him up, from my boat...
Who was he?
Bryan

bverd
02-04-2002, 10:23 PM
I got to do some speed runs in the 28ZXO with the Scorpion package at Sarasota. What a blast. We ran right around 80mph with three of us in the boat. It was a great ride and beautiful boat, at the end of the channel we hit some pretty good sized stuff as it opened into the Gulf, he didn't have any issues with it. The owner is from Lake Lanier, I think, boating with Tomahawk. What a sweet ride. Man I can wait for AOTHII
http://www.verd.com/photos/Sarasota_01_web/Day3/p0002981.jpg

Ozarkboater
02-05-2002, 08:30 AM
Well I seem to be taking some heat for my statement earlier. So let me explain, "four to six foot swells" when you have a lake that is only 500 yards wide at the widest point and lets say fifteen to twenty boats trying to pass each other. What you have is the same efect as if you drove your boat in circles, and I am sure most of you have done this so you know what I am talking about, that swell of water that is created is what I call a "swell" and we have them all over. Has anyone else been to LOTO who can back me up?

Just as example, I have personaly seen alot of chit at LOTO. The one that sticks out here is the time I saw a 23' IMP Inca take a wave completlly over the top, including the hard top.

Cramer

HeavyP
02-05-2002, 09:44 AM
Cramer,

HeavyP
02-05-2002, 09:51 AM
Cramer, I have seen similar effects near where I boat at the mouth of the Patuxent River in Md. You can come across some large waves from all the boat traffic in a narrow space. I actually plowed through a wave last year from a large cruiser putting out an enormous wake. I had slowed down in time, but still managed to stick the bow through the very top of the wave. I was driving the closed bow model 28 ZX and I got very wet. About a 6-inch wave managed to come over the windshield. It was funny because the wives were in the back talking and did not see the water coming and, "poof" they were drenched.

RickSE
02-05-2002, 09:56 AM
If you think LOTO is bad try boating on Lake Powell. The narrow channels and steep canyon walls (perpendicular to the water) send all the waves right back into the channel. Combine this with heavy traffic and a few 50-60' displacement tour boats and you've got some nasty water. Then on top of that Mother Nature likes to throw in "surprise" monsoon storms in the summer months.

http://209.235.93.131/adventures/powell00/fri/Pic00031.jpg

All I can say is that I've scared a lot of people on Powell in my 18. Choppy one minute and then all of the sudden you're in 6' rollers with 20' spacing, not fun in an 18. Would be fun though in a 26 or 28 ZX.

Sagbay32
02-05-2002, 10:23 AM
That 18 has a Beak ! eek.gif

RickSE
02-05-2002, 11:09 AM
Here, there's no beak on this 18. This picture always reminds me of Florida, that's if you took away the rocks, mountains, dry heat, fresh water, 3600' elevation & talking apes.
http://www.donzi.net/hull/DNAC8031L596/18_2.jpg

bverd
02-05-2002, 11:27 AM
RickS... where is that?

RickSE
02-05-2002, 12:03 PM
It's Lake Powell, about 30 miles up the lake in Face Canyon.

One of the most beautiful lakes in the US. Also one of the best places in the world to go disappear for a while and forget about everything else.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-05-2002, 12:09 PM
Cramer, no heat from me, sorry if you thought so...

Great pictures. Bryan

RedDog
02-05-2002, 03:55 PM
Bryan - I believe the gentleman in question had a lady at the helm of Genuine Risk.

I tried following Mighty Mouse out from the falls but alas, had no luck keeping in sight.

bverd
02-05-2002, 05:32 PM
Jake... I tried to respond to your email but it bounced. Whatsup... man?

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-05-2002, 07:26 PM
Poodle, great data, thanks...

I would debate the weight numbers compared to what Donzi says? 6500?
I think it is much more. The 2001 book is 7000 hull.

350 Mag Bravo I's 1025 lbs x 2
454 1087 LBS, a 496 s about same
s 502 Bravo I 1189 lbs

Bryan

Jake
02-06-2002, 07:37 AM
Bverd,
The email seems fine. I got several others this morning. Try again. Thanks. Jake