PDA

View Full Version : Message to Chris (CDMA)

Formula Jr
10-11-2001, 08:13 PM
Chris, when you have time, can you write about some of the stuff you are doing. I'm very interested in what NA is all about and the level of knowledge you are getting on it.
If you can explain something, you get closer to real understanding. We are probably too dumb to get most of it, but the finding of workable analogy is 3/4ths of the battle.

CDMA
10-11-2001, 08:14 PM
Owen,
Most of the interesting stuff is yet to come. The first 2 years in more actual like college engineering courses then actually NA or ME ( Marine Engineering) courses. I don't know really what to say about what I am learning. Webb is the premire school for this degree in the nation. We carry over 150 credits in 4 years with a required dual major in NA and ME. I have copied a list of the NA and ME courses below. These as well as the essential engineering courses make up our curriculum:

Marine Engineering I/Marine Engineering Systems
Naval Architecture/ Introduction to Ships and Shipbuilding
Marine Engineering II/Principles and Equipment
Naval Architecture II/Ship Statics
Fluid Mechanics—3 semester hours
Marine Engineering III/Machine Design
Marine Engineering IV/Machinery Systems Design
Electrical Engineering I/Circuits and Electronics
Naval Architecture III/Ship Resistance and Propulsion
Naval Architecture IV/Ship Hydrodynamics
Marine Engineering V – Steam Plants
Engineering Laboratory
Electrical Engineering II/Machines and Controls
Naval Architecture V/Ship Structures
Naval Architecture VI/Ship Design I
Thesis
Ethics and the Profession
Ship Vibrations
Naval Architecture VII/Ship Design II
Marine Engineering VI/Marine Diesel and Gas Turbine Plant
Thesis
Professional Presentation
Naval Architecture VIII/Ship Design III
Naval Architecture IX/Propeller Design and Vibrations
Naval Architecture X/Marine Transportation
Thesis

On top of this are of course Calc, physics, strength of materials, mechanical engineering, fortran, Autocad, etc….

As you can see we cover basically everything. We are expected upon graduation to be able to design everything from a dingy to a super tanker and all of the associated systems. Not just the hull and the structure but the electrical, plumbing, driveline, propeller and so forth.

While some of our faculty is less than exemplary teachers they are all geniuses in their field.

Prof Grochowalski is a world-renowned stability expert
Prof Hadler designed every propeller on US nuclear subs until 1995- also worked at Rolla for 5 years
Prof Hennings is a electrical genius from circuits to massive electronic boards
Dean Compton was a Naval Academy Professor for 30 years and a combatant expert
Prof Gallagher is a ship structure engineer

On top of these we commonly get lectures by some of the best in the field. The NA responsible for the extradition and repair of the Uss Cole was here last month to give a lecture.

One thing about any NA degree is that there is no place in the world that concentrates on pleasure boats. All NA degrees are heavily weighted to the commercial field. However almost all of what you learn here can easily are applied in the private sector. Paul Fiore former designer at Hustler and now head of Outerlimits is a graduate. As is Alfred Zein Former head of Gillette…hey everyone has got to shave right…

As I get a little farther into my stay here I will be able to hopefully explain things on the board. As for right now I am working on Bonjean curves. Bonjean curves are a hydrostatic curve used to determine the static displacement of a ship in various water densities. They are used primarily to determine loading ability and later are used in stability calculations as well as a sea keeping analysis. Oh that is another thing… we have a 100 foot long tow tank with complete resistance testing and wave making ability. Really cool makes an awesome places for parties too after out 6 million hours of work. Another cool thing is Webb is free if you get in. Full tuition scholarship for everyone admitted. ( 20-25 a year of which ½ will make it to graduation)

Owen you sound like an awesome guy anytime you feel like hitching up the Jr. for another cross country trip you are more than welcome here for as long as you want. Free room and board. If you really would like it I will try to keep posting what I learn here and there about NA.

Chris