PDA

View Full Version : 27 magnum on ebay???

DanHouck
04-12-2000, 06:02 PM
Has anyone heard anything new on that magnum that was supposedly on ebay? maybe i'm way behind the game, but i couldn't find it. is it sold? We need one.

------------------
-Dan

Ross
04-12-2000, 07:12 PM
Dan, the magnum did not sell. The reserve bid,(initial bid) was not met $15,000. If you are still interested there is a 27' and a 28' listed in the Toronto Boat trader- the 1975 28'Maltese is listed for$15,950. CDN. and the 27' 1973 is listed for $24,000 CDN. Both with Mercs. Let me know if you want me to e-mail the adds. Ross

Ross
04-12-2000, 07:50 PM
And, for those interested in Donzi's ,in the Toronto Trader is also listed a 1982 16' O/B-150 hp Merc $5800. CDN. 1982??, I did not realize Donzi was still making the O/B model at that time.

Staffan Berg
04-13-2000, 04:45 AM
I just bought an 27 magnum sport in Monte Carlo. Old owner was Nigel Mansell.
I need to repower the boat.
Planning to install one single VolvoPenta DPX500 (470 HP).
Is this a good idea ?
What will the speed be ?
Any comments please.
(Yes I am since 1992 a proud owner of a Donzi 22 classic)

seano
04-13-2000, 09:32 AM
If that was really Nigel's boat, you should find out what the original power was...most probably twins. A boat with history is always worth something---unless you change it drasticly. Setting that thing up with a single 470hp would be a big mistake---it would be VERY slow.

MattM
04-13-2000, 10:22 AM
Actually it might be OK with single power set up right. Talk to the factory, they are now offering that boat set up w/ a single for Factory 1 racing. The challenge you may run in to is that the newer lay ups are probably lighter.

DanHouck
04-13-2000, 12:39 PM
I would sy that the boat originally had twins. i would definitely go that route if you have a choice.

------------------
-Dan

gerry
04-13-2000, 05:01 PM
that boat is very heavy, remember that they use to race that boat all the way to the Bahamas and back. My throttleman( Roger Munn ) won many races back in the 70's and he love that boat so much that him and his best friend both still have one.Both of course twin engine.
Gerry Santiago

Staffan Berg
04-14-2000, 04:18 AM
Thank you all out there.
Now I know.
I need to put in 2 new engines so the boat
will look and run as she was ment to do.

I just took the old engines out.
(Chris Craft 320 with Volvo280.)
So I will try do find 2 Merc. 350 Mag MPI with Bravo 1 or similar from VolvoPenta.

Engines are expensive in Sweden.How much do you pay for a complete engine+sterndirve in USA ?
An other question:
What kind of paint do you use when you restore old boats and what is best.
In Sweden we have awlgrip but this seems to be VERY expensive and nothing you put on the deck.

(My boat looks like Forrests but have smaller/slimmer seats. It is in original shape but needs a lot of work to be in good condition. But next year I be on the water.)

This is the best site on Internet.
Hello from snowy Sweden.

seano
04-14-2000, 09:16 AM
Staffan,

I'm sure that boat will turn out great. I am restoring a 28SS Cigarette which is basically the same hull. I actually used IMRON and after I add graphics, will clearcoat the whole thing. Awlgrip is expensive and a friend of mine restored his 20 Bertram Sportsman with Awlgrip and it needed to be repainted 4 years later. It is also difficult to repair. IMRON is easier. All in all, if the boat is jus dull and scratched, I would attempt to wetsand and compound it first. Nothing beats original gelcoat.

As for the power, I just bought a set of new 350Mag MPI motors and BravoI performance drives. I got a good deal through my local dealer, but one could expect to pay up to 16,000 USD per package.

Good luck with the boat and keep us posted.

Sean

Forrest
04-15-2000, 09:19 AM
I agree, stick with twins. To go with a single, you would need to cut the keel stringer in the engine compatement which may compromise the structrual integerty of the hull. To bad Volvo-Penta doesn't build a small-block DPX.

Imron, Awlgrip, Sterling, Sikkins, BASF are all good LP paints. If someone's Awlgrip job needed to be redone in only four years, then it must have been improperly applied or improperly mixed. ONly four years is not the norm for Awlgrip jobs. Properly applied, Awlgrip should outlast Imorn and both should last a minimum of ten years in a harsh marine enviornment, muich longer in a dry stored environmnt. Correct, Imron is slightly easier to repair Awlgrip, but Awlgrip is more resitant to chipping from impact than Imron, Sikkins, and BASF. Which ever brand LP paint you go with, stick with their system from the primer on out and don't use anything except epoxy based fillers for fairing. Use of poly fillers and non-epoxy primers will casue your paint job to crack and peal in a few years. Send or post pics!

------------------
Forrest