PDA

View Full Version : carburetor,rebuild or replace

gnbrian
02-03-2002, 03:06 PM
After an extended downtime of my 85' 22 classic I believe my carb needs rebuilding. Powered by GM (Volvo Penta) 350,290A. Should I rebuild the Rochester or replace with something else for a gain in something(reliabilty,performance etc.)? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Just one more project and I'm on the water,well maybe just one more!

Gearhead99
02-03-2002, 05:11 PM
Definatly rebuild it. When you buy a rebuild in a box you don't know what you're buying.

I have customers bring me "rebuilt" carbs from the likes of Pep Boys, Discount Auto Parts, etc. They never, and I will repeat NEVER work. You have to get two or three before you get a good one.

Great company in Long Boat Key too. They come to Orlando everyday for delivery of your carb after rebuild. Never had a problem yet, no matter what the make.

Blewbyu
02-03-2002, 06:58 PM
Rochester is a good carb.If you rebuild it, you know what you've got.If you did not do it before-be sure to get "Stor-N-Start" or a like product into your carb before layup.Gas can go bad in as little as 2 months,depending on weather.

Murphy
02-03-2002, 10:20 PM
You're heard it already, but yeah, rebuild it. After rebuilding my sbc I went to a Holley 8011 and was disappointed. It idled real nice but I lost quite a bit of top end. The Rochester gets a bad rap in some circles but is still one of the best designs ever made. Real economical for cruising and has a lot of punch with those big secondaries. When you rebuild it, take time to port-match the gaskets with an exacto knife so there's no internal gasket material interfering with good flow. Also, I filed a screwdriver slot in the end of the idle adjustment screws to make adjustment easier. They are really hard to get at with needle nose pliers, especially under way. Also, pay real close attention to the accelerator pump adjustment spec. Don't adjust the tolerance too tight or you'll lose the benefit of a full shot when you hit the throttle.

Murph

Donzigo
02-03-2002, 11:42 PM
FYI - I was ready to get new or rebuilt Holly; but there were many on this registry who talked me into rebuilding the Holly's. I'm glad I did, because, they run great now, and have a lot more life in them. Thanks to all for the info.
Richard wink.gif

gnbrian
02-04-2002, 05:51 AM
Thanks for the info guys, you have all confirmed my belief that sometimes stock is better. Thanks again, Brian