PDA

View Full Version : blackhawk

DAULEY
02-03-2002, 10:17 AM
I am looking at a blackhawk forsale .i think i am going to buy it. can anyone tell me what it worth it has 65hrs on it with trailer.
Thanks Dauley

AVickers
02-03-2002, 12:46 PM
I passed on a 90-hour Blackhawk here a couple of years ago. Asking price was $34k, but I'm sure that I could have bought it for $29. It had been for sale for at least a year pior to my interest.

A couple of reasons I didn't buy:

1) I just couldn't get over the "screaming chicken" (aka. Smokey and the Bandit Firebird) paint scheme and all the gold plate. Oh well, different strokes...

2) And the gold plating was wearing rather thin on the pipes, cleats and lift eyes. They didn't look as cool as when new...and I couldn't even picture what it was going to take to get them replated.

and last, but not least...

3) My wife wasn't up to the psychological pressure of spending that much money on a toy... (If the boat had been more normal in it's paint and hardware scheme I might have been more willing to go up against the tide of my wife's frugality. As it was, it just wasn't worth the effort.)

Instead, we dropped $20k into a regular 22 Classic: not as fast; not fuel injected; probably not as durable (Alpha on a big block), and certainly not as menacing on the trailer (that dual cleaver rig is really an attention-getter...); but a solid performer that we have used almost every weekend during the season since we got her.

Other than that, the Blackhawk was a gorgeous rig, very well cared for and obscenely fast. BTW: The trailer it was on was a dump. rolleyes.gif

Dr. Dan
02-03-2002, 12:47 PM
Dually, Just the Facts: Power & Drive, Year of Boat...any pics, as you know this is a highly controversial boat, and validity would be key to a true estimate in its value range?.. wink.gif ...Doc

Donzigo
02-03-2002, 01:33 PM
Dually,

Nice talking to ya this morning. Let me know if you buy the other boat. Then, I won't keep pestering you sending you pictures of my Z-25. My guess is that either boat will fit your purpose. The Z-25 is a little larger; but the 22 is a looker, for sure, too. Tough decision. Sounds like his Blackhawk is nice. My Z-25 is totally pristine. I haven't really tried to do much to advertise her, etc, but, I defintiely want to sell her to someone on the registry, though. she will bring someone lots of joy. Scot V, , thought you wanted her?

Richard

DAULEY
02-03-2002, 06:34 PM
Looked at the blackhawk today power 502 blackhawk drive 114hrs boat in ex shape trailer okay roller gold showes fading not a good job when done new
made offer does anyone have a value boat is authentic #29out of 40
Thanks dauley

nuck'in futs
02-03-2002, 06:44 PM
Dauley, I sold a 1996 Blackhawk just over one year ago for $34k. It had less than 60 hours and was like new with an Eagle trailer. At the time it retailed for $34- $36K with the trailer. It is not all that easy to find a value on because Nada and ABOS guides have incomplete information.
Make sure you drive it first. I thought mine was a fun boat but they can be a handful. They are built for speed. The tabs are essential at medium speeds to keep the boat from porposing.A foot trottle would be a good solution or even tab controls on the steering wheel.I don't like to take my hands off the throttle at 80mph.In gear at idle speed it puts up a good sized wake.You can cut it down by tilting the drive up but I hear that's not good for it.
I got used to driving mine in short order and it was great. At 3000rpm it would run 55 to 60 mph!
Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions.

DAULEY
02-05-2002, 04:31 PM
Anyone know value wholesale - retail on 1995 blackhawk
Thanks

Donzigo
02-05-2002, 05:09 PM
Bob, seems like you're getting closer to a Blackhawk. Defintely a nice ride!

roadtrip se
02-05-2002, 09:06 PM
Dually,

I went through a blackhawk search about a year ago. I even talked to the original owner of #29 on the east coast, because he had the boat advertised in Powerboat for quite some time. If I remember the boat has Latham single ram steering.

I found seven boats. Some you could eat off of. Some had very low hours. Most were having a hard time getting their boat sold, due to the drive and the look of the boat. I had one boat bought at 28k with a crap trailer and 33 hours. This boat had a bravo drive with extension and the blackhawk sitting in a crate, so I figured I could sell the bravo to cover the cost of a new trailer. Backed off, because I couldn't get fired up about the looks of the package. Point is that you should find a boat out there in reasonable shape, if you are willing to wait and travel.

Things to look for. Have the ECM checked by a merc dealer to verify hours. Check out the gimble as these drives spend a lot of time out of water and this causes wear. Take a hard look at the props. They were a major complaint source for merc due to their suspect quality and finish.
Locate a parts house. I beleive their is a guy in Wisconsin that specializes in these drives, but he is expensive, so you should know what you are getting into.

Take the thing for a drive. It is a wild ride for the unsuspecting. You basically drive the boat with tabs. Rides much higher out of the water than your typical 22 Classic. Also requires a very experienced and sober driver to get the most out of it. Not for the weak at heart.

I love the boat. Ran into a guy on Cumberland last summer with one in regular color and trim that I would have bought on the spot, but he wasn't selling.

Good luck with you blackhawk search.

Todd

DAULEY
02-06-2002, 07:12 PM
TODD
this is the same boat do you remember what they were asking at that time
THANKS BOB (DAULEY )

roadtrip se
02-07-2002, 08:13 PM
Dualey,

Sorry, can't remember what the original owner wanted. But remember, this isn't the only blackhawk boat out there, so offer what you feel is reasonable and wait. These are very special boats, but the buyers for them are not lining up outside the door.

Good luck, Todd

FASTEDDIE
02-08-2002, 04:04 AM
original owner was in Conn, and started asking $40,000.00 and eventually dropped in two years to $35,000.00. it had less than 60 hours on it at that time according to my records.