PDA

View Full Version : 454 Roller HYD

RickR,GroveCity
04-10-2000, 10:19 PM
What year did Mercruiser start using a Roller Hydralic Cam in the 454 Mag?
Was it available in the Generation V Block or did it start with the Mark VI.
Thanks

GeneD
04-11-2000, 12:59 PM
RickR,
I don't know the answer to your question as I had originally thought that all the Generation V motors had the roller cam.
Recently, I replaced a 1998 Mercruiser motor with a 350 Chevy crate motor. The crate motor came with the roller cam, but the 1998 Merc did not have it.
Of course the roller cam is now safely put away in my shop, great design too - I love it.
Anyway, I'm thinking that is it some kind of option? Perhaps available in Hi Po motors only?
Anyone got any clue about what horsepower gains can be realized using the roller cam?

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

[This message has been edited by GeneD (edited 04-11-2000).]

[This message has been edited by GeneD (edited 04-11-2000).]

RickR,GroveCity
04-11-2000, 02:42 PM
Gene
Sorry to hear about your loss.

I know as early as 1992 the 350 Merc Magnum had a Roller Hydraulic Cam (Base motor did not)

My 87 Vette has a stock Roller Hyd, an improvement of 5HP over the 86 wo/Roller Cam. Not much HP but gobs of torque. It will sure melt the 255/50s

The Mark V 454 was introduced in 1991 wo/Roller Hyd Cam. The engine I am looking at is a early 1995

------------------
RickR mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

[This message has been edited by RickR,GroveCity (edited 04-11-2000).]

PaulO
04-11-2000, 02:47 PM
Gene,
I have heard numbers that range from 2 to 10 HP gain by swapping to the roller cam arrangement. But, the real differnece is in the ability to create much more aggressive cam lobe profiles. Roller lifters can follow a much steeper ramp than conventional lifters. Although everyone is familiar with the "lift" that a particular cam profile has, what is just as important is how fast you can open and close the valve. That's where the steeper ramps come into play. I don't know all the issues with air flow but, I have heard that the faster opening and closing of the valves can hve a significant effect.
Paul

P.S. How is the Baja?

Jamesbon
04-12-2000, 08:22 AM
Rick,
Are you looking at 454's for a new 22?
Nathan

RickR,GroveCity
04-12-2000, 08:52 PM
Nate
Close
Looking at a 22 with a 454.
Your engine back in yet?

------------------
RickR mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

Jamesbon
04-13-2000, 08:32 AM
Ahhhh, Good!! I hope to see the 22 next time you're in town. What colors, year? Was this the one with the hook in the hull? FYI there's an 87 22 Classic down here for 16,900.00. I looked at it and it wasn't too bad. Personally I would give 13-14K for it on a good day. (454 with Alpha drive, clean hull, and slightly used interior)

We just received the pistons today, and I'm having a custom full mechanical roller cam ground. We're shooting for the end of next week. (cutting it close for the Poker Run) The anticipation's killing me. This will be my first full roller motor, and first set of killer ported aluminum heads.......on paper we're estimating 500hp from pump gas. (although I do plan to run octane boost religiously)

Nate