PDA

View Full Version : 1992 Donzi Classics

Eugene Nahemow
02-01-2002, 09:26 PM
How was the fit and finish of the classics during the OMC years? What if any are the differences between and OMC454 and a Merc454? I know Rick had a King Cobra drive on his 18 and had no problems. What if there are problems on a King Cobra,are parts still available?
Thanks for the help.

Donzigo
02-01-2002, 10:54 PM
Eugene, I have a Z-25 from the pre-OMC days, and a Z-33 from the OMC days. the fit, workmanship, etc on each is about the same. Not perfect, but,much better than most boats I've seen in the last 30 years. There are strange little tiny imperfections on each of them. I beleive that most boat manufacturers, including the present day Donzis are finished much better, in the fiberglass department, than during the 1987 to 1991 era. My Z-33's OMC 454 King Cobras were taken out by the first owner. I dont know why. Others on this Registry have noted great luck with the OMC Cobra outdrives. Maybe it was a matter that the Mercruiser boys might have been there first, with the most money for R & D, advertising, race sponserships, etc. but, for whatever reason, they are the most popular outdrives. I'm sure others will have more accurate information about this than me. In fact, I'd like to know myself why Mercruiser got such a commanding lead in technology and preference. Anybody know?

Richard

Formula Jr
02-02-2002, 01:06 AM
Twenty Five years ago, Merc had a customer service that few people would understand. I ripped a ten HP off a boat one time, that bent the binding clamps. It was sent back to merc and they didn't charge for the bent clamps or to replace them. And the Diameter was larger on the refit. As a matter of opinion, it seemed at the time that Merc was embarrased that I could screwup one of their outboards. ........I really wish the world worked that way today. That's why Merc Won.

Dr. Dan
02-02-2002, 07:07 AM
Eugene, We have a 454 King Cobra on our 22 Classic, we are fortunate in that it has been a solid performer for us last year. As RickR can highlight on, they are very strong drives, they've even been known to hold off "charging Jet Skis". We got our replacement parts from www.fasteddiesdiscountparts.com (http://www.fasteddiesdiscountparts.com) , we got our part inside of 10 days. However, as with all things out of production, it's only a matter of time before fewer and fewer are available. Hopefully someone from Bombadier will pick up the ball and create some aftermarket/replacements for Cobras.(I know, they're called; Mercruiser, Arneson and IMCO) biggrin.gif , But we have not had any mechanical problems,clutch shifts are smooth and we love our boat. Fluids are changed on a hyper-regular schedule,but I'm alittle anal that way! wink.gif ...Doc

BigGrizzly
02-02-2002, 08:08 AM
If replacement parts and durability pose a problem then you worry toooooo much. They haven’t produced some Volvo parts for 15 years. As for durability of the OMC drive- yes there were some issues years ago but in reality not as much as the Bravo drive had during that same era. The drive is a good drive and has some advantages over the Bravo. Not to scare you but they don't make the 454 any more either. Yes there are many after market companies as with the drives. So if you haven’t fallen asleep by now --just don't worry and enjoy your boat. Remember "If it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Randy

Donzigo
02-02-2002, 08:49 AM
Big Grizzly, I'll atest to that Bravo problems thing. When they first came out, I was idlng my Z-25 at a popular spot here in St. Pete. called shell island, when strangly I touched a shallow spot at dead idle and the outdrive locked up in forward. It kept running and when I couldn't get it to nuetral to beach the boat, I just came on home on plane. But, I was shocked, when my mechanic told me that Bravo One's have had a weird thing happening when doing this exact thing at idle. They were locking up. So, several hundred dollars later, it has worked fine ever since. I have the old three part gear set on my desk as a paperweight. You can see where the middle piece clearly locked up on the forward gear. So, yes, Bravo wasn't perfect and like most technical things had to have bugs worked out. He said Merc changed the material in the clutch area to stop this problem. Ever heard of such a thing? cool.gif

RickR
02-02-2002, 01:48 PM
Eugene
I let a friend drive my 18/OMC King, he ran over a submerged log mad.gif in 1993. Chipped a tooth in the upper gear set that had to be replaced.

The gear tolerances in my OMC were much closer than a Bravo which made for a smoother shift. Also the Bravo power steering is AWFUL (too much anti-feedback)

My 1990 18 is a VERY well built boat! But like Donzigo says, gelcoat has come a long way in the last few years.
There is no comparison between the fit and finish of my 1990 and 1995. The 1990 is MUCH better. But neither compare with the great Donzis being built today!

Check you NAPA dealer and Fast Eddies for parts availability. Napa sells parts for drives that haven't been made for 30 years.

Donzigo
02-02-2002, 09:23 PM
Rick, didn't you buy Randy Hibbard's 22" boat, in St. Pete? Do you still have it?

Donzigo (Richard)