PDA

View Full Version : Boycott Continental Airlines...

harbormaster
09-15-2001, 01:25 PM
I just watched the head of Continental airlines on TV layoff 12,000 of his employees and cut back 25% of his schedule. They did not even lose a plane in black tuesday. In my opinion it is not appropriate or patriotic behavior at this point in time.

It will be a cold day in hell before I EVER board another continental airlines aircraft.

I suggest that all americans show support to the airlines who have NOT thrown in the towel and are not creating more hardships for american families. I would also email them like I did to voice your displeasure at their actions if you feel as strongly as I do. My 2 cents.

Scott Pearson
09-15-2001, 03:35 PM
Scot,
Its going to be EVERY airline not only Continental. They are all going to be cutting back 20% - 25%. This includes Travel, Employees etc. What do we do, boycott all of the Airlines when this takes place???

(NJ)Scott

oldLenny
09-15-2001, 05:04 PM
...North American airlines are currently losing $300 Million US a day and that has got to hurt! I don't condone the action either...but...

We are all to adopt and restore normality in relation to everyday events...and "move forward". I think this (Continental) is Corporate America trying to cut any "further losses" and they are the first to come forward. I think that a world tragedy is not a "Corporate Excuse" (in THEIR way of thinking)to go bankrupt (not my take on it but...) if it is not required. This Company will most likely like to continue operating again in this decade of the new Millenium once this "blows over".

The Stock Market opening on Monday @ 9:30am is going to tell the whole story. I would tend to think that investments in General Electric, McDonald Douglas, General Dynamics, and Boeing and related will do WELL!!!. I think this is going to be a short term, high flying portfolio, and incredibly strong. This comment is not about making money, or profiteering, just a statement to point towards the WAY in which "WE" (and my collegues/friends) are thinking.

:mad:...GET'EM!...bye-bye Taliban... :mad:

Dr. Dan
09-15-2001, 06:36 PM
Pearson's correct, the airlines will be cutting back capacity due to "the anticipated lack of customers that will be willing to fly", this is a temporary situation and will likely change in the long haul! Meanwhile it will be a bit more of a bite for everybody affected! It sucks, but it can always get worse, keep the faith and don't lose your patience, this won't be the last time you're going to be using it!...Doc ;)

harbormaster
09-15-2001, 08:10 PM
My majot beef is that they did it the same week. EVEN before the scheduled meeting between the airline execs and Prez Bush.
If they had waited a week or 2 it might have made more sense.

Moody Blu'
09-15-2001, 08:15 PM
Harbor master does have a point! I know that the govt was going to help out the airlines because of this crisis.
Continental should have waited.

Scott Pearson
09-15-2001, 08:49 PM
Guys,
This whole Airline issue is going to be like getting off the Hindenberg without getting singed. I for one have always flown Continental. They have NEVER had a crash or a Hijacking...That means alot. And it should to everyone else. So what...Someone had to be the first to make a decision. We are talking Billions of dollars here.

(NJ)Scott

harbormaster
09-16-2001, 03:05 AM
Scott, your a weenie!!!!! :p

Scott Pearson
09-16-2001, 07:48 AM
Weenie...(laughing) ....I know :D

(NJ)Scott

BigGrizzly
09-16-2001, 08:10 AM
Sorry HArbour Master you got it wrong. ScottP and Madpoodle got it right. Most large Companies have suspended air travel in effect they did what you want us to do. My nephew's company was dooking about 20 plane tickrts a week. How many other tickets came out of the GREAT TOWERS. Our company has canceled all new air travel "untill furthur notice". We are scaling down the dealer meetings too.The only way you will get a tick from my company is with VP approval! This was a suggestion from a family member Uncle Sam.
The kee word is layoff not fired. this is the only way they can survive. Lockheed has layed off too this week, so lets not fly anything that Lockheed makes.

Saddened But looking up
Randy

mattyboy
09-16-2001, 09:10 AM
Guys,
air travel is one hot potato right now, what we have to watch is the stock market we can,t turn and run we have to hold our ground and advance!! a large hotel chain that lost people, equipment, assets has chosen to stay , and somer other businesses I know of have set up temp offices In NJ but will reopen in the city!!!
we can rebuild as long as people don't cut and run

Matt
RED,WHITE AND BLUE.. THESE COLORS DON'T RUN

roadtrip se
09-17-2001, 07:46 AM
On a plane this morning. First of several segments around the southeast this week. Am I at all excited about it? No. Air transportation is a big part of today's commerce engine. Support the economy, get back to work, and if that involves a plane ride; just do it.... Todd

harbormaster
09-17-2001, 08:21 AM
Randy,
did you forget?

The harbormaster is never wrong.