PDA

View Full Version : Camshaft Question?

Riley
04-17-2001, 07:04 AM
Hi guys, I have a couple of questions regarding changing the cam in my 1999 Merc 5.0 (305 chevy). If my boat doesn't sell in the next couple of weeks, I'm going to upgrade from the 2 bbl to a 4 bbl and Edelbrock Vortech Performer RPM intake manifold.

1. Did the stock 305 in 1999 come with a standard or a roller camshaft?

2. What would be the best performance enhancing cam I could upgrade to, that would give the best performance without killing the "cruiseability" of the boat?

Any and all ideas welcome! Thanks for your input.

Forrest
04-17-2001, 03:31 PM
That would be a roller cam in that new of an engine. You could upgrade the cam, intake, carb, etc., but you probably would do best by not doing anything short of going to a 350 block. Just use the boat until it sells and
have fun!

------------------
Forrest

BigGrizzly
04-17-2001, 08:55 PM
Don't wast your time. If you are going to sell it. If you keep it, go bigger like Forrest(the guy without the Donzi shirt) said

Randy

Riley
04-18-2001, 07:20 AM
Thanks for the replies! Yes, I realize that the best route would be to re-power with a 350 or 383, and that may still be a possibility. However, does re-powering ruin the value of my boat? My thinking is that the carb-manifold swap is pretty quick, cheap, and easy. I can also put the new carb and manifold on any new powerplant I may throw together if I re-power.

The camshaft chage is a more distant possiblity, but I was really curious to find out if the little 305 did indeed come with a roller cam. After thinking about it I've come to the realization that if the motor comes out of the hull for a cam change, a 350 or 383 might as well go back in it's place!

As it is the boat is awesome, just not a top-speed monster. And with the news reports yesterday morning that gas prices here in Northern Michigan could be approaching $3/gallon this summer, maybe I should be happy with what I have! As always, thanks for the input.