PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Prop ?

Sam
10-09-2001, 09:13 PM
I had the chance to visit the Turbo plant not to long ago. I have only heard one of the guy's mention this prop, I think it was BigGrizly. Has anyone else used this prop and with what results.

Sam

BillR
10-10-2001, 12:31 PM
I used one on a 22 Scarab. Replaced the Mirage Plus with the Turbo and gained 2.5 MPH!

BigGrizzly
10-10-2001, 09:02 PM
I got the same results. Tomahawk gained as well. We spent all summer swpping props always with the same results. The prop is highly under rated. Try it what have you got to lose.I pulled another 2mph on the gps changing from a 27 marage pluss to a 27 turbo, rpms were the same by the tach.

Randy

Tomahawk
10-10-2001, 09:58 PM
Confirming what Bill and Randy said. Mirage Plus 14 5/8 X 23 was best on my 22 until I tried Turbo 14 1/4 X 25. Went 3 mph faster. By the way, the Bravo prop didn't work well for me. Evil handling on my boat. My theory is that, in general, on light boats (Donzi 16 to 22's) a smaller diameter, three blade prop with a little more pitch is faster than a larger diameter prop of three or four blades- probably due to the drag factor. The Bravo 4-blade is obviously a great prop on some boats but, it seems to be the bigger stuff.
These are my observations from recent experience. However, there are so many factors involved in performance, that the only real way to know what works is to try it on your boat. Boats are all different and props are all different Even props of the same model and size from the same company, can provide slightly different results. Therefore, when you say one prop works better than another, that may be generally true but maybe not on your boat, with you driving, on your lake, at your elevation, with your passengers, with your fuel load, with your bottom condition, with the wind out of the west, with the slight prop variations,with your lower unit, at your trim angle, with your trim tab settings,with a one foot chop,etc., etc., etc. You can get close by taking advice but you cannot be sure of optimization without trying lots of props on your boat.
The Turbo 14 1/4 X 25 works best for me (so far)but may not for you. For what it's worth; :)

Voodoocanoe
10-11-2001, 05:53 PM
I also have had good luck with Turbo props If I remember they are located in Ohio and are great people to deal with, I had a 24' Sunsation Rocket with a Merc HP420 and tried about 10 different props and the 3 bladed Turbo was not only the fastest but also handled better than the rest of the one's that I tried.

Sam
10-11-2001, 07:56 PM
Here is are some options for contacting "Turbo Prop". 1-800-922-9955 or WWW.turbo-prop.com. (http://WWW.turbo-prop.com.) I think I might try and get my hands on one before winter set's in. Try this as well, go to a search engine and type in Turbo Prop and look for Ceader Falls prop. They have demo program of sorts. If you try it and don't like it it shouldn't cost you much more than $100.00 at the most.

Sam

Sam
10-12-2001, 01:23 PM
I found a second source for Turbo props, this guy is selling them cheaper than anyone else.248-666-3402 (Dan's discount props)

Sam