PDA

View Full Version : Flush cleats or standard?

Brad Lyon
01-31-2002, 08:43 PM
I am considering adding stainless steel flush cleats if, I can only get over the price of these. They range from $45 to almost $90 a piece in the Overton’s catalog. Has anyone had any experience with these or is it recommended that I just use the standard $10 polished stainless cleats.

Any recommendations for size, type and location will be greatly appreciated.

Brad

avanti
02-01-2002, 07:13 AM
We just installed 3 Accon Marine pop up 6" cleats on our 18 Classic. One on the bow where the lifting eye is and two on the stern where the factory installed cleats are. They make the boat look really sharp. In my opinion the lifting eye on the bow is useless and the factory installed cleats on the stern look out of place. They are a little bit pricey but the end result is worth the money. I would also install the optional plastic cup which mounts underneath the cleat and allows you to route via a plastic hose any water which may collect in the cleat recess.

RickR
02-01-2002, 07:37 AM
I plan on installing them on my 22.

Their are different kinds. One has a push button to raise he cleat the other is pulled up with your fingers. The push button type sits more flush when closed.

http://www.cpperformance.com/ has both kinds.

cummins
02-01-2002, 08:03 AM
Don't most purist get a little upset when you start adding these things???? I very interested in this topic because as everyone knows there is nothing on the side of my 22. biggrin.gif

Looped
02-01-2002, 08:49 AM
Since my 18 didn’t come with many original chrome parts (only the 4 vents & engine hatch hinges/latches) I have gone with all popup cleats and the popup lifting eyes so when it is completely covered the cover will not get any extra wear on any raised parts on the deck and rear areas.

Here is a picture of a popup-lifting eye in the closed position:

http://www.donzi.net/photos/cringer0045.jpg

Brad Lyon
02-01-2002, 11:08 AM
Where are the factory installed cleats in the back? I only have the two lifting rings on the top.

Brad

Lineleader
02-01-2002, 11:45 AM
Looped,

Where did you get your pop-up lifting eye? I'm considering a replacement for my original. Do you think they will support the heft of a GT 21?

Thanks,

LL

Looped
02-01-2002, 11:49 AM
LL,
I can find one of the companies that sells them after a little searching here at work. I know that they are rated for 10,000lbs lifting & 10,000lbs pulling from the sides.

Craig

Looped
02-01-2002, 12:04 PM
Here is one site that sells the Popup brand name cleats & lifting eyes.

http://www.godco.com/More_PopUP_zg_Pull_Up_PartsChocks_zg_Lifting_Eyes. html

If you choose the “ITEMS” pull down you can see the breakdown for the prices. You would only use the “Lift Eye with Base” because on Donzis they have the original lifting eyes set back too far to use the entire unit. With just the lifting eye with the base part you can mount it right to the original spot where the base mounts to the cross over piece between the two stringers for full strength.

Craig

Lineleader
02-02-2002, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the info Craig.

Blewbyu
02-03-2002, 07:32 PM
I have 4 of the 6" Popup's (that are in Craigs link)on my X-18.They are mounted 2 each just forward and aft of the cockpit area so they can be accessed from the seats, and they can also be used for fenders.Very convenient, and far better looking than standard cleats,and.....they don't wear your cover when towing!They are definitely worth the price.Recommend using 3M 5200 under them for adhesive and sealant(you won't be removing them again once you cut the holes).Do NOT mount them in the middle of the deck alongside the cockpit-you can't reach the backs from either end. biggrin.gif P.S.-they are well built-very sturdy!!!

tmumbleau
02-05-2002, 09:20 AM
I have a 16 Classic with lifting rings and would like to replace the bow ring with a pop up cleat. My questions are: Do you need to use a 6" cleat to cover the hole that was used for the lifting ring, or will a 4" cover it? Cosmetically, is the 6" too much for a 16' boat? Has anyone replace the rear lifting ring, and if so with what?

KRAVEN
02-05-2002, 06:54 PM
Ihad the pop up cleats installed on my 2002 scorpion from DONZI,on front only.They did not recommened pop ups on the rear.
KRAVEN

tmumbleau
02-05-2002, 09:33 PM
Kraven, Was that the 4 or 6 inch cleat? tmumbleau

KRAVEN
02-05-2002, 09:52 PM
I believe it was the 4in cleat, the boat is laid up at our cottage for the winter.
KRAVEN

avanti
02-06-2002, 07:03 AM
I installed the 6" pop up cleat on the nose to replace the lifting eye and it covered the hole for the lifting eye completely.