PDA

View Full Version : 16 Ski-sporter

Hotboat
04-08-2000, 06:06 PM
Could not stand it any longer. Got so excited about the older Sweet 16's at the show that I had to have one. Just brought it home. Can't wait to get started on it. Needs a little TLC. It is a 1968 and may have a bad engine. It is said to be the original Holman-Moody. Does anyone know what cubic inch it is? The former owner said 302. Would that be correct for a 1968? Also the tag is missing from the outdrive. It is a Volvo, What series? Does anyone have an original sales folder for this boat that they could post? Thanks in advance for your help.

------------------
Hotboat

kevin
04-08-2000, 07:17 PM
HOT BOAT CONGRATTTTSSSS. I HAVE A 68 THAT I PURCHASED ABOUT THIS TIME LAST YEAR. IN THE ARCHIVES SECTION OF THIS PAGE THEY HAVE SOME INFO ON 69 BUT I CANT OPEN IT YOU WILL HAVE TO TALK TO THE HARBOR MASTER. I BELIEVE BOTH 289 AND 302 WHERE OPTIONS IN 68. YOUR STERNDRIVE IS PROBABLY A 270. I HAVE A SERVICE BOOK ON BOTH 270 AND 280 I WILL SEE IF IT GIVES ANY INFO. IM SURE ONE OF THESE VOLVO NUTS CAN TELL YOU.. GOOD LUCK. WHATS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A SKI SPORTER AND A STANDARD SWEET 16?

Rob
04-11-2000, 09:50 PM
Ski Sporter is the name Donzi gave the original 16's. I guess someone started calling them Sweet 16's and the name stuck.

I'm sure someone here know the real story on that one...

Tony
04-12-2000, 06:40 PM
My '67 16' Ski Sporter has the original outdrive, labeled as an Eaton Interceptor 200 but basically a Volvo AQ200B (1.59:1, Serial #PZNRB211636).

I doubt this is what you have on your '68, but I have a workshop manual and parts catalog if you need a copy of either or both.

Hotboat
04-12-2000, 08:19 PM
I bought this boat knowing that the engine would not turn over. Hoping that by some miracle it would only be the starter. Starter works. Pulled the plugs and put a breaker bar on the balancer bolt and tried to turn the engine. It will not turn in either direction. May not be the engine after all, may be the outdrive. Prop will still spin. May be in the upper unit. I am going to remove the outdrive to see what happens then. Any one have any thoughts or suggestions? All are appreciated!

------------------
Hotboat

Kevan Donzi Ski Sporter16
04-18-2000, 08:55 PM
Welcome to Donzi 16 land! A few things: It is my understanding that the Ski Sporter and the Sweet 16 are two different boats. The Ski Sporter has the wraparound seating on the passenger side, and the Sweet 16 (which is a "newer" version) has two bucket seats like an 18. I guess one of those middle boat companies thought they wouldn't be screwing up a good thing! Also, my 1972 16 has a 270 drive, and be sure you go thru it to make sure the boot doesn't leak, like mine did! It'll ruin interior bearings and you can't hear them squeel over the engine noise! My 72 had a 302 in it, and the HM engine used a truck cam to give it more torque. Also, I have some paperwork from HM on the engine specs, such as timeing, firing order, and such. If you want a Xerox of it, e-mail me, and we can arrange it. Good luck and Punch IT!

------------------
Kevan in Vermont Using Maple Syrup for that EXTRA horsepower advantage!

AVickers
04-18-2000, 10:52 PM
Odds are, it's not the drive!

But there is a test short of taking the upper gear housing loose. There's some "play" in the flywheel coupling between the engine and drive input shaft (spline play and springs on the drive plate). If the foot is locked up, this play would be evident in that you'd be able to rock the crank back and forth to the limit of the play. Even if the foot were locked up, you'd still be able to rotate the engine a bit -- probably about 5 to 10 degrees.

If you can't rotate the crank AT ALL, then odds are that the engine is frozen up. If the boat's been sitting a long time and the owner didn't drain the engine/manifolds, water in the riser/exhaust can condense out in cylinders with open exhaust valves (there's always a few in there every time you turn the motor off). This condensate seeps in between the rings and piston-to-cylinderwall area and can grow a mean batch of rust. (It'll lock things down so tight that you'll have to knock the pistons out with a sledge hammer!)

Tranny fluid down the hole for a few days (or some penetrating oil) will break 'er loose, but my guess is that the rings will be rusted up too. At least that's what happened with a Chris Craft that I'm overhauling at this moment. Two holes on one engine rusted up solid! Mine's so bad that it's going to require oversized pistons. There's no way honing will get below the pitting...

Sounds like you may have an opportunity to repower your new boat...

Craig
04-19-2000, 11:26 AM
Kevan, I don't think thats right about the Sweet 16 having two front seats vs Ski Sporter having the wrap around. I've got a Summer '94 Boating World Magazine article detailing what it calls simply the 16 Classic and it shows a wrap around passenger seating arrangement in the photos and the boat has a small "Sweet 16" decal just ahead of the large DONZI lettering on the sides of the boat. I have noticed they (the 16's) have been offered with 2 front seats, as you said. I guess DONZI officially just calls them 16 Classics now, right?
Originally posted by Kevan Donzi Ski Sporter16:
Welcome to Donzi 16 land! A few things: It is my understanding that the Ski Sporter and the Sweet 16 are two different boats. The Ski Sporter has the wraparound seating on the passenger side, and the Sweet 16 (which is a "newer" version) has two bucket seats like an 18. I guess one of those middle boat companies thought they wouldn't be screwing up a good thing! Also, my 1972 16 has a 270 drive, and be sure you go thru it to make sure the boot doesn't leak, like mine did! It'll ruin interior bearings and you can't hear them squeel over the engine noise! My 72 had a 302 in it, and the HM engine used a truck cam to give it more torque. Also, I have some paperwork from HM on the engine specs, such as timeing, firing order, and such. If you want a Xerox of it, e-mail me, and we can arrange it. Good luck and Punch IT!

Hotboat
04-19-2000, 05:10 PM
I think the 16 was called the Sweet 16 when OMC reintroduced the boat in 1990. By the way, just got the 18 out of the paint shop yesterday. New Awl-grip looks terrific.

------------------
Hotboat