PDA

View Full Version : Baby seats for boats?

HeavyP
01-31-2002, 03:51 PM
I have been a member of this board for almost 2 years now and, although I have rarely posted, I do try to keep up with the reading, which is extremely interesting, and I feel like I know a lot of you even though I have not met you. Well here goes: My wife and I are expecting a little one in March and I seem to recall a thread sometime ago that discussed Manufacturers of baby seats for boats. Am I out of my mind or was there such a thread, and if so could someone point me to it, or is the boat doomed to spend a lot of time on the trailer this year?

mattyboy
01-31-2002, 04:28 PM
well lets see, what kind of boat?patio boat use your feeding/carry seat, I don't think any kind of seat with straps is any good, the baby once big enough must have a pfd( my kids when they were small called em boat coats) west marine makes some nice ones. and must be attended at all times! go fast or bow rider no way until baby a toddler. under no circumstance sell your boat keep it for quality adult time until baby is big enough to enjoy it as well

good luck

Matt

Formula Jr
01-31-2002, 04:35 PM
I left one on Boatered com awhile back, but that was under a "dumbest thing done this Year" kind of thread.

About three years ago, the brother, his wife and kids rented a boat in Florida and were immediately stopped by the CG for a safety inspection. The CG duely noted that all the kids had their vests on and all was well. Well after about a hour boating the wife says to the brother.. "Steve tell me again what good that vest on the little one will do if the boat sinks, cause he is strapped to the chair and the chair is strapped to the seat and the seat is bolted to the boat....."

boldts
01-31-2002, 08:40 PM
This probably was the wrong thing to do, but when Beth and I had Allison, our now 4 yr. old daughter, we would take the Donzi for an evening cruise to a restraunt on our local lake. We would leave her in her car seat and place the car seat in the ski boot that is on a 18 and 22 Classic. She was protected should water come over the bow and Allison actually liked the rumble from the engine. We never did any speed runs, but it was a nice relaxing ride for Mom and Dad. By the end of diner, the sun was usually down or close to it leaving us with a slow no wake cruise back to the trailer. Allison usually fell asleep. Sometimes the rumble of thru hull and a nice quiet night cruise is just what the doctor ordered in those early Baby years. Now, Allison has a ski jacket and loves going as fast as possible with dad. We have a blast together. smile.gif Oddly enough, Allison wouldn't go near the boat 2 summers ago. frown.gif Didn't like the thru hull then I guess. wink.gif

PaulO
02-01-2002, 09:09 AM
The wife and I had these discussions since we have a 2 1/2 year old and a 9 month old. We were hoping to find a seat that had self-righting flotaion in it. No luck. I have had thoughts of designing and manufacturing one.
PaulO

HeavyP
02-04-2002, 03:49 PM
All good advice. Thanks. I never thought about the whole baby is connected to the seat which is connected to the boat issue. Don't worry, I never considered selling the boat.