PDA

View Full Version : Cam Advice

RickR
01-31-2002, 06:59 AM
Be very carefull getting cam advice, even from the experts.
If you call a cam company, ask for their marine expert.

I am rebuilding the bottom end of my 454 Mag because of "bad advice" from Comp Cams and a failure of their cam. mad.gif

I wanted a 224/230 cam but they recommended a 224/236 kit (with springs). The 224/236 cam caused a SEVERE case of reversion and two of the lobes failed on break-in (because the wrong springs came with their kit). The reversion was so bad when I removed the exhaust manifolds, water POURED out of 5 of 8 exhaust ports. If I had not found the problem immediately the engine may have been destroyed.

My machinist said he has had 4 flat tappet Comp Cams fail in the last year. I followed his suggestion and bought a cam from another company (Bullet Cams)

Anyone want to buy my warranty replacement cam from "Comp Cams"? I guess I'll use it for a paperweight. rolleyes.gif

turbo2256
01-31-2002, 11:39 AM
I use Engle cams most of the time now. Been in business for years they dont even advertize any more. A family owned company father and sons.
When you call.. YOU WIL BE TALKING TO A CAM GRINDER NOT A JOCK THAT CANT FIND YOUR APPLICATION ON A COMPUTER. They have worked closly with many boat engine builders and know there stuff.

Voodoocanoe
01-31-2002, 11:51 AM
www.ultradyne.com (http://www.ultradyne.com)
These guys know boat engines.

RickR
01-31-2002, 08:09 PM
Scott
I paid cash and made the mistake telling Comp Cam I was going to freshen up the engine next year.
Oh Well frown.gif

BigGrizzly
02-01-2002, 01:33 AM
I also have a bad experience with Comp cams. The cam for my Cleveland wouldn't run with 10:1 compression. They than told me " that is a very high compression engine and you can't use that cam. This is after they recommended it. Been waiting for years for a refund. Called Babe Erson, he sends me one out and its fine. So just because I wanted to try other things Babe made me other cams to try, Guess what I now use the first cam Babe sent. It’s not the fastest but it is the beat all around for my engine.
Just to clear some stuff up not all cams and not all things Comp makes are bad every body has a bad day. I will say the marine stuff isn't their best thing. I won't use them again for any Ford I build. If I ever get a cam from them in the future it will be my choice and not their suggestion or their "special design". For marine applications, if you don't have any knowledge of cams or experience go with Crane, Iskie or Babe Erson, these are the people who built the industry and are your safest bet.

Randy

RickR
02-01-2002, 07:29 AM
poodle
If you don't get any ticking from the rockers the lobes should be fine.
To check for reversion
On a cool day (in Miami?) start the engine and let her run for 5 minutes at idle.
Pull the riser and check for condensation and moisture.
I would expect to see some moisture but not water running down into the manifold.

No time for Small Claims Court. I have to get ready for FLA-USA biggrin.gif