PDA

View Full Version : Clickety click click click

Moody Blu'
10-08-2001, 09:29 PM
Hey guys does that sound like the starter?

I took the starter out after it did that hooked up jumper cables to my battery and grounded the starter and hit the positive pole on the starter...........Nothing........ lots of sparks.
shot starter right?
I bought the starter 3 months ago :mad:

I guess thats what happens when you let a boat sit for 2 weeks?

I hope its not the engine :o

Scott Pearson
10-08-2001, 10:46 PM
New, doesn't mean "new". My "new" starter lasted about 10 min. Boat wanted to start all by itself. Put new Ign. switch in and secondary solinoid (SP). Well guess what, ...It was the starter. Stayed engauged at the dock 1 hour before the Lake George Dust off. Fried alot of stuff. Well...with some help from my buddy Mike and Richard Weaver...We where up and running in no time.

Good thing for Mike...I couldn't fit my fat ass in the motor compartment to get to the starter.

$300.00 dollers later...It was all worth it...Had a blast!

(NJ)Scott

marcdups
10-09-2001, 12:35 AM
Had the same problem at Eufala, cranked the boat before leaving home, after nearly 12 hrs of driving, next morning put the boat in the water and the same noise, rode with madpoodle for the day until i got my hands on a starter, and yes Owen it is a pain changing the starter specially with three cracked ribs, amazing what determination will get you to do, I thought I would never get down there on the 16!!
Good luck Broque

Towel Boy!!

Classic Razorback
10-09-2001, 12:40 AM
Sounds dumb but...
1. Make sure your battery is charged up.
2. Make sure connections are clean.
3. Ignition switch (15.00 bucks)

Then maby if this don't work buy a NEW STARTER (not rebuilt) and have your old one
repaired for a spare.
Don't take it and exchange it for another one fix it yourself ! Or have a rebuild shop fix that one (do not exchange it,unless it is completely fried for some reason)!
This is my opinion.
If there is clicking maby your solenoid is working???
Hey bud this is just what I would probally do these other guys know more about it than I do.
Good Luck
Chris

Formula Jr
10-09-2001, 01:13 AM
i'm with Razorback here. Over the coarse of my life, I have wasted about 600 dollars cause i never got the fact that you have to know your battery and connections are "known good" before looking else where. I've taken starters back out of cars, to return and yell at rebuilders only to find i was at fault with the battery thing.- I'm part Polish, we actually are a little thick in the skull.

Moody Blu'
10-09-2001, 07:52 AM
I totaly agree with classhick and formula jr!

I use to have a 1972 cadilac coupe deville (472ci) and it had a bad ground.
that caddy ate up starters and batteries every 2 months. I learnd from experience about bad connections.

My f250 had the same problem, it wouldnt start my truck once it got to operating temperature.Well I got one of those battery connectors that had two two gauge wires coming off of it.
I put one to the regular ground wire and the other was wired right to the frame of the truck. AFTER that I had no problems.

Did you guys read the part about me taking jumper cables to the starter after I took it out of the boat and the motor(starter motor) didnt even spin?
I have a 1000 Cold cranking amp battery in the boat(and my truck) I thought the battery was dead because of how slow it was turning over the engine at first.
I hope it is the starter and not rust in the cylinders :rolleyes:

Classic Razorback
10-09-2001, 11:20 AM
When you said the starter shot right I thought that ment when you shot the juice to it torqued and jumped.
chris

BRIAN73
10-09-2001, 11:46 AM
Formula Jr

I take offense to the polish Crack. It only took me 2 hours wedged head first in engine compartment to figure out that the new alternator I put in the 16 did not have the two post's needed for the charging circuit. Yes I'm almost half polish.

Brian
AKA (Hard To Breath)

Moody Blu'
10-09-2001, 12:06 PM
where is frankc c with that pic of me with my feet high in the air and my head in the engine compartment?
classhick how many boat sodas were you on when you typed that post? LOL

Classic Razorback
10-09-2001, 06:44 PM
I was on my 3rd big Sapporo. :D :D
If you would have capatilized that s in shot and put a comma in there it might of helped me to figure out that was a new sentence and you were trying to say that your starter was "trashed"
It's that language barrier, "eh!" lol

classhick

Moody Blu'
10-09-2001, 06:58 PM
ahhhh, I like kirin ichiban 20 oz my self :)