PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good cam plan?

Tony
01-30-2002, 09:40 PM
Anyone ever work with Scott Davis at CompCams? He suggests custom grinding a cam to meet my specific usage needs, and also to match up well with the parts my new FoMoCo longblock will come with.

Woodsy, Forrest, Jamie, Emmo, Voodoo, Randy, and lots of others...thanks a TON for all your help so far. I have learned a lot and am VERY anxious to see this thing through.

Forrest
01-31-2002, 02:59 PM
Tony, here is RickR's recent experience (http://www.donzi.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=003461) with advice from CompCams.

Tony
01-31-2002, 03:21 PM
Thanks Rick and Forrest. I'm changing my mind so fast I am dizzy! Today Redline Marine in Iowa referred me to Drew Marine in Washington. Drew says the Ford 320hp, with the E303 cam and the Y heads, would work great "as is" in my 16. The Y heads develop more torque than the X heads that come in the 345hp. He also says that the 270hp iron head Ford would work great, and feels it is underrated hp wise, thinking it is more like 290hp. He likes the GT-40 iron heads and, again, thinks the E303 cam is fine.

He comes with a pretty solid reputation and offers to help me with some "plumbing" modifications. Of course then he reminds me of Michigan's 90 decibal rule and suggests I consider a pair of his noise reducers!

Trouble is, the E303 cam has the following specs:
Duration 282/282
Lift .498/.498
...and from what I have gathered this is not in line with most marine use cams. Remember I want a good idle, great low-mid torque, and maybe a 5k max rpm.

Forrest warned me "not to do anything crazy"...is this qualifying? Or am I O.K.? This decision is consuming my thoughts, and I am hoping to make a motor that my is worthy of my Sweet Sixteen.

Woodsy
01-31-2002, 04:56 PM
Tony,

I don't understand where you got those cam specs. The spec sheet I have, (the one in .pdf form for the 345hp engine that you can download at www.thefordsource.com (http://www.thefordsource.com) Lists the specs for the E-303 cam as .498 lift intake & exhaust and the duration @.050 lift as 220 degrees intake & exhaust on a 110 degree lobe centerline. I don't think you will have any reversion with this motor. The difference between the GT-40 iron heads and the GT-40 aluminum heads is the material. I really would go aluminum. The aluminum headed motor will save alot of weight.

Forrest is right, I would not do anything crazy. I think the 345hp motor, propped right will get you where you want to be. Its turn key from Ford. That makes life really easy. Bolt on your stuff & go. I wouldn't prop the boat for top end, that would be crazy, but instead prop it for holeshot & midrange... With the right prop that boat should leap out of the hole like a titan rocket...

Woodsy biggrin.gif

Moody Blu'
01-31-2002, 05:53 PM
my cam has a 288/288 advertised duration and a 488/488 lift

@.050 it is 218/218
lobe sep is 110 degrees

that lunati cam works awesome model : 00110

I read some where that your not getting the 351w tony.

did you get a engine yet?

if your looking at 345hp kits, why not just get the 351w?

I doesnt make sense.

it would be easier to get that kind of power out of a 351w then a 302.

bone stock the 351w has better heads (I forget which ones are better)

I do know that a quick mod for a 302 is to throw on 351w heads.

so what gives?

Tony
01-31-2002, 07:33 PM
The two reasons I chose not to use the 351 is the weight difference and the fact it is wider, likely resulting in having to modify my exhaust system. My ears perk up when I hear "turn-key", meaning more time on the water and less time "fiddling".

I don't know how I botched up the cam specs, probably because I am stoopid when it comes to technical engine stuff.

Woodsy, do you think the E303 cam will be fine? Do you agree that the Y303 heads will make more torque, while the X303 are better for top end? Here is some info on each, from RaceSearch.com:

Ford Y303 cylinder heads (http://www.racesearch.com/CGI/racesearch_ec.cgi?race_product_id=377791;descripti on_id=1637)
Ford X303 cylinder heads (http://www.racesearch.com/CGI/racesearch_ec.cgi?race_product_id=377787;descripti on_id=1637)

As always, thanks for the input!

turbo2256
01-31-2002, 07:53 PM
Those ports have to much port volume to have real good low end torque talk to BHPerformance ask for Jerry 734 455 1905 he can set you up. You want a cam talk to Engle cams 310 450 0806. That cam your looking at isnt wild enough for the crate motor heads.I can tell you right now a 114 degree centerline would be better and bit more duration on the exhaust mabe a little less on the intake this all depends on your exhaust manifold and riser configuration. The ported heads in iron will out flow the gt 40 style at lower lifts. Fords dont like straight up cams because of their poor exhaust port design add water inthe exhaust and it gets worse.

turbo2256
01-31-2002, 08:07 PM
What are you going to use for a flywheel and a damper your old ones wont work they are not the proper balance for the new 302 s. bolt patterns on your pulleys might be 3 bolt new ones are usally 4 bolt.

Tony
01-31-2002, 08:26 PM
Total Performance in Detroit has the pulley I need to go from 3 bolt to 4 bolt. As far as the flywheel and damper, I know nothing! Will the crate motor come with these? Could I have it balanced at the same time I have the engine dyno'ed and adjusted?

BigGrizzly
02-01-2002, 02:04 AM
Tony Your moving toooo fast slow down. Get the motor and flywheel, put it in and try it. Your calling these guys and asking them about a boat and drive they haven’t used before. They are just guessing. I have been doing this since the early 1960's and there are no new tricks. Don't reinvent the wheel just do a motor. Every engine guy has his own ideas and their preference with cam makers. Theirs is always the best. Go with one guy and the out come will be fine, and probably about the same regardless. Remember it’s the total package. The more horsepower in that 302/5.0 the worse it idles, the more HP the louder it is.

Randy

Woodsy
02-01-2002, 07:14 AM
Tony,

I think the Y303 heads are better. The X303 are really setup for a high rpm motor. The duration you have to worry about for reversion is not the advertised or SAE duration, but the duration @ .050 lift. The higher or longer duration there, the greater chance of reversion. Randy is right, the more HP, the rougher the idle... thats the case with every engine. Turbo is right about the camshafts as well. BUT, your stated goals are reliability, driveability & mid-range. You aren't building a race motor and for maximun HP. Grizz is also right that everybody will tell you that thier setup is best. Picjk a plan and stick with it. My favorite belief is KISS... "Keep It Simple Stupid"... the easier it is, the better it will be. I have had enough of high strung race engines... My personal belief is just go with a crate motor. It will not be the bestest or the fastest, but it was built & tested by people who have a pretty unlimited budget.. FoMoCo. It will run strong and give you plenty of smiles... And if you look at the bang for the buck factor, you just cannot beat it. A brand new, 340hp motor for $3100? No chance you will be able to piece on together for that kind of $$. If you think the 340hp engine is a bit much, go with the 320hp motor.

Woodsy biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

turbo2256
02-01-2002, 01:45 PM
Actualy thought I could be of some help in that I am only a couple hours a way. I have set up relations with some excelent machine shops. Some that usally only build hard core engines for nascar, winston cup, they do great machine work.
Some of my engines sit in there show rooms. Engines you will never see for they are not production motors, parts, castings but one of a kinds for Ford motor co. Are any of you willing to run up here and help a guy out here in Mich.
It was never my intention to be bashing people in here. I got better things to do.