PDA

View Full Version : How do I tell if its a Donzi

Hot Water Man
04-07-2000, 08:52 AM
I reciently bought what I was told was a 1972 18 ft Donzi classic. However it has a hump in front of the steering wheel on the bow area, and the inside wall pannels are ulpolstered plywood. It also has a right hand steering. What have I got

------------------

MattM
04-07-2000, 10:37 AM
You'll have to post some pictures.

boxy
04-07-2000, 11:19 AM
If it looks like this,
http://www.donzi.net/gallery/NYCrace3.jpg

it's probabaly an X-18.

------------------
boxy
mailto:sboxma@sprint.casboxma@sprint.ca</A>
Smuggler's Cove
Ontario

CDMA
04-07-2000, 02:41 PM
That would my first thought as well but post pictures.

Chris

kingair
04-09-2000, 10:01 PM
What is the hull number? It is possible that it is an "EhKE". A popular option was a wrap around bolster. This bolster was made of 3/8" ply sides and front panels with laminated 1/8" compound corners. The peices were bonded together with one layer of 3/4" mat and 3/4" clothin a working cockpit section. The bolster was cut out for the specified ordered equipment by the riggers @ DONZI. The "U" shaped part was removed sent to built-rite and covered in matching trim. The bolster was then returned and fitted again by the riggers to the deck the steering, instruments and accessories attached. A really neat option on the 18's

------------------
later, Philip & Vickie

kingair
04-10-2000, 08:22 AM
before I get corrected.... DONZI also fabricated the frame for the bolsters using vertical strips of 3/8" plywood @ 3/4 wide that were screwed into the working cockpit and then bonded to the front and side panels...This took a lot longer to do and was changed in favor of the laminated corners.
Later
Philip