PDA

View Full Version : 24 Spitfife with twin 320EFI, SS drives

MR MAGOO
01-30-2002, 06:59 AM
Hello, I have a friend who had a 24 Spitfire. The boat has had a new transon installed and it is powered by twin 1987 320EFI 350`s with Alpha SS drives on Land&Sea stearn jacks. both motors were freshened up last year. Also has a new interior. Cosmetically its a little rough,the hull sides were repainted and it has the orig Donzi Spitfire logo done in vynil on the sides but the deck needs to be refinished and the dash is rather ugly.
He is thinking of parting with it and was wondering what it would bring if he were to sell it. He has way too much $$ into this and is realistic about losing money.

Please give me your thoughts. Thanks, Kurt.

MR MAGOO
01-31-2002, 06:19 AM
Hellloooooo! anyone out there?????

MattM
01-31-2002, 09:20 AM
I think everybody's scratching their head on this. It is a very rare boat along with some very rare drivetrains of a different vintage. The 320 efi is a cool piece but the rather crude fuel injection had a reputation for not being terribly reliable. I don't think we have seen anything like it to compare it to. If the boat works well with the drives somebody will end up with a great boat for much less than it would take to build.

Stix Magill
01-31-2002, 09:51 AM
Mr. Magoo,

I started a link asking about the Doral (closely akin to the Spitfire) a few months ago and also had very few responses. There are so few of these boats out there that the value is very hard to estimate. I have never seen one listed for sale in any condition. I did learn that these boats are VERY heavy and towing is a major consideration. That is what turned me off of the Doral because I tow currently with a F-150.
For others, this is no problem. I am not familiar with the engines, but the previous link commented on them.
Eye appeal can do wonders, and if this boat is restored well and is a real looker, your friend will not have a hard time of it.
My guess on value, for what it is worth (nothing)is $12,000 to $16,000.00. The dual engines are a bit of a liability when it comes time to repower/rebuild. You can get a clean/mint 22 classic low hours for around $20,000.00, right? Again, pictures would do wonders for getting more feedback. I am purely guessing! I am confident someone will straighten me out in short order!

Good luck to your friend, those are beautiful boats!

Scott Smith

RickSE
01-31-2002, 10:05 AM
I agree, it's hard to put a price on something so rare. I wanted to respond yesterday but didn't know what to say. If he decides to sell make sure we get first dibs.