PDA

View Full Version : Funniest mistakes on the water?

HyperDonzi
03-04-2003, 05:32 PM
What was your biggest mistake, or mistake that made you feel the dumbest?

Mine would probably be.... We had just gone for a ride in a 24' skater, just threw an anchor and left the Baja in the middle of the lake. After we got back, we decided to try to keep up with the big boats, I figured if we ran WOT and they stayed a bit below crusing speed, we would keep up. We hopped in, put the jackets away, put the cd back in (do you think I could leave Dark Side of the Moon sitting on the dash??) then took off. 3,500RPM and it is having trouble planing off... somethings off, drop in neutral and try again, same thing, look back this time as were doing it, and I see a taught line hanging off the back!!!

Others tell your funniest mistake,
Tommy

<small>[ March 04, 2003, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: HyperBaja ]</small>

Moody Blu'
03-04-2003, 08:14 PM
hmm, after arguing with 3 friends to take there shoes off giving in and letting them on with their shoes on :mad: :mad:

Fish boy
03-04-2003, 08:39 PM
Had a jetski (the stand-up kind) a long time ago. I was supposed to meet a bunch of frineds at a beach bar; many of them girls. Decided to make an entrance by jumping some waves, doing doughnuts,... before making my way to the beach. I thought I would be REAl cool and drive right up onto the beach and then step off James Bond Style.

As soon as I hit the shore, the ski stuck hard to the beach. I went from about 20-25 mph to 0 in about 1 second. As I did this I was thrown forward, caught the handle bars between the legs( right between the legs), flipped over the front and smacked my head on the front of the ski.

As I lay there in the fetal position from the pain down under, the entire bar, the beach, and my friends (including the girls I was trying to impress) were clapping and rolling hysterically.

I succeeded in making quite and entrance. :)

olemissalum
03-04-2003, 08:57 PM
Once I was leaving a waterfront restaurant by boat and realized I had someone's keys. I did not want to take the chance to throw them to the person standing on the dock so I decided I would step off the front of the boat and jump to the pier. Now I was in my brother-n-laws boat at the time which was a small bowrider. Well I went to push off the front to jump and instead of springing me forward and up to the dock the bowe went down instead and into the barnacle encrusted rocks I fell eek!
Everyone at the restaurant (once they realized I was not seriously injured) had quite a laugh and I had quite a few scratches and cuts to show for my lack of understanding of simple physics :D

RedDog
03-04-2003, 09:21 PM
Hyper - we had someone killed with that move about 2 or 3 years back. Big cruiser stretched the anchor line and it finally let loose from the bottom - launched the anchor like a rocket into a passenger's head frown

Ranman
03-04-2003, 10:03 PM
I have never made a mistake on the water. I thought I did once last summer, but that wasn't the case.

knee deep
03-04-2003, 10:07 PM
Would someone please e-mail Jen and get the true stories?

goatee
03-04-2003, 10:18 PM
very similar hyper,, but i planed off just fine.
just found a frayed end of rope where my anchor should be. :( also in my dads boat years ago,, i found every time i stoped, it took a while to plane. then i found the plug on the dash! oops!
and randy,,, its, i'm never wrong, i thought i was wrong once, but i was mistaken. wink

Trueser
03-04-2003, 10:39 PM
I was with my uncle that had a 19 slick Craft. We just filled up at the gas dock and pulled away from the pier. All of a sudden there was a big flash/boom and the engine cover blew rite out the boat. He was able to put the flame out with the extinguisher and recovered the engine cover. No one was hurt and we drove back to the house. After that he always ran the blower.

Make sure your extinguisher is always handy!

oldLenny
03-05-2003, 12:12 AM
That would be in 1980, my new Montauk (17') fresh 150 MERC, after a day of (oops) drinking and stuff on the water, I decided to drive by my dad at his cottage and say "hi". He was leaning over the transom of his tender tied to the mooring bouy, waved, big smile. I did a 45-50 mph long turn in front of him, and the people on the high bank waterfront watching at his house and decided to "pull" up to him after this high speed banked turn (19 years old, come'on cut me some slack here) and "show" up at his transom...we'll after throttling back and getting the following wake I hit him IN THE TRANSOM at about 5 miles an hour, turns out he was moving the motor on the transom and had the screw handles backed off, BANG!!!, 20HP Merc, (his) goes to the bottom... :( Man did he get mad. Tiny scuff on the Whaler. Bad day in my house, yes I lived there still...

<small>[ March 05, 2003, 12:14 AM: Message edited by: Lenny ]</small>

oldLenny
03-05-2003, 12:22 AM
...and then there was the time, (7 years old) I was running my Glen-L Squirt in the waves of parents cottage, (B.C.Ferries waves in 1968) new boat, dad built it with/for me, and I was "surfing" some nice steep CLOSE following waves. Well, off the top of one, stuffed it into the next, got caught in the shortness of it all and apparently I was on a perfect surfboard and there was no getting out of the grip, so there I was, for a fair ways, a boy and his boat only the boy from chest up was the only thing visible moving throught the water. Seems the boat was in submarine mode.

Some quick lessons learned when I was impressionable. I haven't been "locked" in a following sea now for many years...knock on wood...

oldLenny
03-05-2003, 12:30 AM
..came across a deadhead one day, in a busy pleasure boat area, decided to be a "good Samaritan" and tow it towards shore some. I used to have the little flags and stuff that you could get to mark this stuff, so I did that, (keep in mind, this is when you woke up, ate cereal, went out on the boat, and came home at 10pm at night, aahhh, childhood). Anyways, tied a clove hitch around the monster and began to "putt" towards shore with it. A turn of the last century Lapstrake Clinker, inboard straight shaft, no trans, (just like Geoos boat but 104 mile per hour slower)

As it turns out the 10,000,000 pound "log" was held up on a ledge of some sort 50' below and I pulled it off and DOWN it went. About 3-4 feet and my little boat was going vertical, tied to this 30" round behemoth. I managed to cut the rope with a fish knife in hand and flopped back down again. Last time I ever towed a log in my life...then I cleaned my pants...out...

oldLenny
03-05-2003, 12:37 AM
...showing off for the "gals" on shore at a lake 150 miles North of here. About 20 years old, in jeans etc, gorgeous day. We'll everyone was skiing and back then I was OK at it. I had a lit smoke, (very cool) and some Rod Stewart denims on, and I took off the beach, one ski start, smoke in mouth lit. Man was I cool. The idea of all of this was to come back to the beach in front of them, dry, still smoking...That part worked out ok, a few minor cuts and stuff, nothing dramatic, heading along the shoreline for my "drop" Well, I was going about 10 miles an hour too fast, too close etc, came out of a whip, let go of the rope, still dry and smoking mind you, came up onto the shore, feet in boots still, hit the sand, flew past EVERYONE at the spot, went further up the beach shore through them all and hit a log at the top of the beach and broke the ski...Still dry, still a lit smoke, but VERY damaged...no "cool" points...

<small>[ March 05, 2003, 12:38 AM: Message edited by: Lenny ]</small>

ToonaFish
03-05-2003, 01:21 AM
Someone remind me not to ride with Lenny...

Ed Donnelly
03-05-2003, 01:38 AM
When I was around 10 yrs old (that would make it around 1955) I had a stand up skiff with a little 10 on it.. I had this brain wave to see how far I could go once I Disconected the fuel line.. It ran for maybe 20 seconds then stalled.. Boy what fun.. Hooked up the fuel line and tried to start the engine.. After 20 min.of pulling I got towed back to the cottage..My Dad came out to check things over. After he primed the gas line, it started up.. I got my ass paddled for screwing around and didn't get to use the skiff for the rest of the summer....Ed

Digger
03-05-2003, 06:23 AM
I snuck out on the fantail of Boxer, (LHD-4) one night on my last deployment to have a smoke. Fantail is secured to smokers during Harrier (AV-8B) flight Ops because of the noise/thrust hazard. Well when you need a smoke, you need a smoke, so aft I went. I was merrily smoking away, until a Harrier came aboard. The Harriers transition to a hover just as they come over the fantail to spot 9. So essentially the jet is about 40 feet above and just aft of where I am standing as it creeps over the deck edge... You know those moments of diamond-like clarity you get when you realize you're about to do something really stupid but it's too late to do anything about it? (if you've never seen or heard an AV-8 in a hover you ought to get to an air show someday and see one...man are they loud) I figured as long as I plugged my ears and crouched down I'd be fine. wrong. I got blown to the deck (cig stayed in my mouth though) and rolled around a little. got a little warm there for a few moments too. I didnt mind the ringing in my ears that didnt go away for awhile but I scuffed up my flight suit and boots. that was the dumbest thing I've done on the water. knock on wood.

Wildfire
03-05-2003, 07:32 AM
Smartest thing was calling 911 before the boat actually sank. Which happens to be the dumbest thing I've ever done.

Sinking pales in comparison to the summer I spent with the swim ladder down (where's all the spray coming from?) and the bumpers out!

boxy
03-05-2003, 07:40 AM
Lenny why didn't I read this before last night, you're killing me. :D :D

I've got a couple....one's mine, one's my Dad's

When my Dad was about 15 he took the family 16 foot cedar strip runabout to visit his girlfriend, as he was leaving her family cottage, he was standing up in the boat waving good bye as the boat is planing out, he turned around just in time to see the cement bridge piling just as the bow of the boat hit it. Cedar strips everywhere, one sunk boat, and one embarrased teenager.

A long time ago my cousin and I were having a few pops in Alexandria Bay, and spent most of the afternoon talking to 2 lovely girls from the area, on the way home, we decided a rest stop was needed (pee break) so we both stepped to the swim platform, out of nowhere a rogue wave rocks the boat, sending both of us into the river, just as the 2 girls come motoring by.

Long story short, never stand up to pee in a boat, 4 hours of hard work can be shot in 30 seconds, and women are the cause of most of our boating mishaps.... :D

mattyboy
03-05-2003, 09:25 AM
I have 2 one of mine one of my dad and his brother

mine: well I was in high school courting my wife to be Marie ,we had planned a picnic on my boat a 1962 16 alum. starcraft with a 40 hp west bend motor my uncle gave me when I graduated Grammar school. well I uncover load up get her in the boat start up and pull away about 100 yards from shore the engine quits and won't restart 30 minutes of trying and now we're drifting in to shallow water filled with stumps, So being mr macho and trying to impress my lady I jump in with a rope tied to the bow ring and swim my woman to shore. well now after apologizing to Marie and feeling bad for ruining our plans I cover the boat get to the back and cover the motor and I noticed the gas line is not connected( the same gas line I removed the day before cause my uncle said to run the motor dry after I was done for the day)Well I did what any respectable man does I didn't say a word and just went home. Now had the fuel line fell off during the picnic that might have been a day to remember.
:p wink wink
the other was when my family spent a summer in ocean city maryland, my dad and his brother gene are gonna go clamming for the end of the season shindig, so me and my cousin gino are crabbing at the dock and waving good bye to our dads as they row away into the bay, so we leave for the beach and return some 6 hours later to greet our dads, well we see them off in the distance and my dad is rowing like hell but ain't going no where, eventually they get back to the dock my dad looks like he' ready to keel over when he says to his brother " hey gene throw out the anchor" well it seems that gene never took in the anchor!!!! the dinner conversation was very interesting, but they caught a ton of clams

Matt

abelchinewalker
03-05-2003, 10:51 AM
I docked a 47 Fountain flawlessly in front of a resturaunt full of people. Then I stepped off the boat onto the wet dock and slipped and busted my butt. I quickly got up and looked around to see if anyone noticed. I have to assume that people in the resturaunt noticed because most of them were laughing.

<small>[ March 05, 2003, 10:52 AM: Message edited by: abelchinewalker ]</small>

boldts
03-05-2003, 01:01 PM
1. First time my dad lets me behind the wheel of my Grandfather's 28' Owens on Lake Erie. A storm starts to roll in. Wind is blowing like a hurricane. At least it seemed that way to me. My dad is yelling at me to move forward to get over top of the anchor. Unfortunately, I had the boat in reverse and broke the anchor line. Dad was a little mad at dinner that night.

2. In my 18' Classic trying to show off to some ladies on a houseboat by jumping the huge wake. I land on top of the second wave thus ejecting me from my Donzi. Thank God for that side hand rail found on the 18. Needless to say, a kill switch was installed before the next trip to the lake.

3. In our new last year 22' Classic. You read about others doing this and laugh. I launch the boat, tie it up to the dock and while Beth is sitting in the boat. I go park the truck and trailer. It takes about 3 to 5 minutes as it was a busy Saturday. I walk back down to the boat to find it at a peculiar angle. The bilge pump is running and sending a massive stream out onto the dock. Drain plug is in the truck! I did the 100 yd dash probably faster than I ever had. I couldn't breath when I got to the truck! Luckily, I got the trailer under the boat and pulled her back up into the parking lot. About an hour and a half later, we finally had all the water out and ready to launch again. Had a wonderful day afterwards, but the guy on the dock who was getting his feet soaked by the bilge stream made a comment to his wife. "See honey, that's what you never want to do!"

Ranman
03-05-2003, 01:25 PM
Okay, okay, I have one.

I will preface this story by saying that I think this whole thing was premeditated by my Fiancee in an attempt to have some sort of story telling leverage for the future. I believe this because she IS the one who bought me the dreaded kevlar (or whatever the hell that material was) swimming trunks AND suggested we go out that day. I still blame her. :D :D

A few summers ago, I took Donzi Jenn out on our family's Chapparral 1930SS. At the time, I lived with my folks who have a beautiful home situated on a private lake in Commerce, MI. It was a weekday, after work, and it was always nice to come home from a long day and head out to the sandbar to relax for a bit.

Out in the middle of the lake was a nice little sandbar spot that was perfect for sitting and swimming. After pitching the anchor overboard from the open bow. I decided to hop into the knee-deep water to pull the anchor out a bit and set it by hand. As I swung one leg over the front of the bow and began to swing over the other to hop out, I lost my balance and began to tumble overboard. (This is where the story gets good.) While tumbling overboard my new, super-strong, *kevlar* bathing suit got hooked on the forward bow cleat. Although it ripped considerably, the *kevlar* now had a very firm hold of the cleat and was not even close to letting me go. It was efortlessly holding up my entire body weight with no problem. To illustrate further, the suit ripped in such a way that it was basically a ring of material with one end hooked around the cleat and the other between my legs, flossing my ass. (Damn those thru-bolted cleats.)

So I'm hanging there, over the front of this boat, bathing suit strung up through my ass, with my pecker and clockweights hanging out flying in the breeze, swinging around cause my feet are still off the ground.

I hung there for no less than ten to fifteen minutes trying to free myself, all the while, fisherman and wakeboarders are cruising by checking out the situation (or my package, or the lack thereof). Here I am, with nothing really to hold on to and neither Jenn nor I were strong enough to pull me back into the boat. I couldn't get any leverage with my feet since the slippery hull at the bow of a V bottom heads under the boat. I tried feverishly to tear the material hooked around the cleat all the while looking like a fish trying to escape from the hook in its mouth. All this effort seemed to be for nothing, so I got mad. I yelled at Jenn for not being strong enough to pull all 250lbs of me in. I wriggled and fought for what seemed to be an eternity. I think I was about to cry.

Finally, just as Jenn was getting ready to fire up the boat and take us home so we could get something to cut me free, I had a vision of having to idle all the way down the canal, in front of all the homes, hanging basically naked off the front of this boat. I rejected that thought and in a last ditch attempt, I managed to get enough strength to miraculously un-hook myself and fall to my knees in the water. Let me just point out that I have NEVER been overcome with such a feeling of relief in my entire 28 years on this planet. I quickly recovered while in the water, boarded the boat (from the swim platform of course) and got the hell out of there. Fortunatly, I only suffered for a day or so from a bruised ego and some purple coconuts.

Now who's story is next?

CDMA
03-05-2003, 01:31 PM
You win... wink

Darrell
03-05-2003, 01:36 PM
About 10yrs ago I was out on the lake one early morning teaching my 7 year old to waterski. We went out @ 9:00am to avoid the afternoon wind and boat wakes. Well it was just me and her, and she was in her lifejacket having touble getting her ski on. So being " A better than average swimmer and not a ripple on the lake" I jumped in and went to her, no lifejacket. After messing with the adjustments on the ski and getting her ready, she said "Daddy look at the boat". To my surprise the boat had drifted about 150 yards eek! . Well with no one in sight, I told her I would be back and started chasing the boat. It seemed like for every two yards I went the boat went a yard. Well nearly to point of exhaustion I grabed the ski rope. This has got to be one of the most dumb moves of all time. :o

P.S. Bought a anchor the next week and started wearing a lifejacket when I'am in the the water.

<small>[ March 05, 2003, 01:40 PM: Message edited by: Darrell ]</small>

BUIZILLA
03-05-2003, 01:48 PM
Ranman...

I'm not even gonna waste my time with my story.. :cool:

You WIN, hands down..

J

boxy
03-05-2003, 02:09 PM
Randy that maybe the funniest thing I ever read.

the printer is running as we speak, this could be required campfire reading at all future Donzi.net events... :D

DocDonzi
03-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Ranmam,

I'm sitting here crying I'm laughing so hard!!

Chris
ClassicRazorback

blackhawk
03-05-2003, 02:55 PM
I was standing on the sandbar at Torch Lake and thought I had to fart, so I......ahhhh, nevermind! wink

Randy, I think you win!!!

abelchinewalker
03-05-2003, 03:20 PM
Ranman,

Too funny

Digger
03-05-2003, 03:32 PM
Randy that is absolutely priceless.

Darrell
03-05-2003, 03:52 PM
Ranman;

That is one great story, you know if you would have had a video of that you would be 100k richer.

We all are have a good laugh, Lord knows we all could use more of that these days.

Thanks

Darrell

David O
03-05-2003, 04:59 PM
Now let’s hear Donzi Jenns version, could be a better story from her point of view, having Ranman strung up by his ****'s

HyperDonzi
03-05-2003, 05:05 PM
Ranman... Wow, that sounds pretty brutal...

Remember everyone, this is no contest, dont be afraid to share yours!!

Scott B, we fully sank the boat 2 summers ago :D was docked for 2 mos, then the plug came out!!

Sagbay32
03-05-2003, 05:45 PM
Randy...I am still crying as I type this!
YOU WIN Hands( or Balls ) down!

Mike

Moody Blu'
03-05-2003, 06:58 PM
that has got to be a very humiliating situation. good thing you werent at a local spot with tons of people wadding in the water starin at ya. :p

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
03-05-2003, 08:08 PM
This doesn't compare to Ranman's but here goes:
Greenwood Lake Regatta; I forget which year.
I go out for the first qualifying heat, ran okay. Upon returning to the pits I notice a lot of water sloshing around the boat. Turns out the cooling line to the V-drive blew off the fitting. No problem, ran to the toolbox and got a piece of garden hose that I use to run the engine on the trailer with, and some hose clamps. Ran back down the hill to make the repair in time for the next heat. Forgot the screwdriver, ran back up the hill to the trailer. Made the repair, good to go. Had a few minutes before the next heat so I checked the oil. Ran back up the hill to get a bottle of Mobil 1.
Ready for the next heat except there's all this water in the bilge. No problem, I got a plan. I tell my crewman, "Right after the 5 minute gun goes off, before you shove me out, just pull out the two center drain plugs. Keep 'em in your hand, and as soon as I come back in put them back in." Okay.
Five minute gun goes off, he pulls the plugs, gives me a shove, I fire it up and off we go.
Halfway into the second lap the boat begins to slow down. "What the.......oh ****!". In all that running around and repairing between heats, guess who forgot to top off the gas tank!
So there I am, pulled off to the infield, resigned to being towed back to the pits when in comes the water. "****,... the drain plugs!" So, I scramble over the hot engine to the transom where the only thing I could do to keep the boat from sinking was stick my thumbs in the drain holes. After the heat finished the tow boat comes by, and naturally, they have no spare drain plugs.
So there I am, legs wedged between the battery and the headers, draped over the gas tank, ass in the air, with both thumbs jammed in the drain holes, unable to move, while they tow me back to the pits!
Oddly enough, I didn't get a standing ovation, or even a chorus of laughter when I arrived back at the pits. Perhaps the other racers took pity on me and chose not to make an embarrassing situation worse.

FR :p

<small>[ March 05, 2003, 08:10 PM: Message edited by: FlatRacer ]</small>

Brad Lyon
03-05-2003, 08:27 PM
Randy,

I grew up on Walnut Lake and my dad still lives there, I seem to remember hearing about your story at one of his parties. You know those lake association people in West Bloomfield and alike can't keep their mouths shut! :D :D :D

Brad

<small>[ March 05, 2003, 08:28 PM: Message edited by: Brad Lyon ]</small>

DonziBuoy
03-06-2003, 07:19 PM
Ranman,
I thought I would bust a gut on that one - too funny - I have one from when I was a 14 year old kid in Long Island- I was with my friend on his hard starting moored 14 ft boat. After grinding the starter for awhile, the battery finally went dead. Over comes one of his father's well-to-do friends in a spanking new 30 foot fishing boat on his maiden voyage. He shouts to us "put it in forward with the key turned on" and he gets behind our stern and begins to give the gas. My friend and I look at each other and dive for our lives just as the fishing boat comes up and over my friend's boat cracking the topside and hull where it then sank. We are swimming in the water stunned at what we just saw when he shouts at us from the flybridge "What did I say? You obviously were still in park!"

florida gator
03-06-2003, 08:23 PM
I own a boat. That alone says I am into doing stupid things. So instead of sitting here all day typing hundreds of stories, let's look at the most recent. Basically $10 worth of gas does not get you nearly as far as it did last summer. Found that out last week making adjustments to the new motor.

Tomahawk
03-07-2003, 05:35 AM
My new, upside down, sailboat is not near as funny as a Kevlar bathing suit. I'll tell you about it if I can ever stop laughing. Jenn, are you sure about this guy? :D

Jake
03-07-2003, 09:26 AM
Ranman,
If Jenn had actually driven the boat in front of all those houses with you on it you would have a lot more to worry about. I honestly can say that is one of the funniest stories I have ever heard. I'm sure you can still feel the embarassment. :D

Jake

goatee
03-08-2003, 12:30 AM
tears randy! TEARS!!! and when i thought i could not laugh any louder,,,, then theres boxy with the printer, and campfire reading....OMG!

knee deep
03-08-2003, 07:04 AM
Ranman wins! I was working as mate on a large triple deck dinner boat. The pilot house was of course on the top deck. The heads were down in the hull forward. We were ferrying the boat from one city to another to do a weekend of cruises. Due to the fact that this was a ferry trip we were working short crew. About 1am I decided to go to the head. After going down the first set of stairs I thought why go all the way to the lower deck and went out the rear doors on the second deck, it had a nice little walkway, and saved me from going down two more decks. I went out took care of biz, the damn door had slammed shut and locked and now I was locked out on the back of the deck. I finally got enough nerve to hang myself over the rail and was just able to get my feet on the second rail. Man if i'd have missed and gone overboard........Now why wouldn't I have just walked out on the bridge wing and whipped it out........at least I had my pants on!

mattyboy
03-08-2003, 09:04 AM
the ole kevlar wedgie on the boat trick eek! :p wink :D

Matt

olredalert
03-08-2003, 11:06 AM
Randy,

-------Would have loved to be a fly on your boat viewing that at the time.We have to get up a fund and send Jenn a video camera if you are going to keep on doing this stuff!!!
-------A long time ago(late April 1971 to be exact)I was living on Cape Cod and a buddy of mines dad had bought him a 28 Bertram Baron the season before.We were in awe of the boat,and since it was a warm spring day,we decided to go for a cruise.Threw some lines and an anchor on board(thank God)for no good reason and left to go to a bar about 25 miles away.After much booze, about dusk we decided to head on back.Couldnt see too well because of some haze so made a point of going pretty wide back to our harbor.I think we were about half way to Marthas Vineyard when we decided to turn and head in(about five miles off the coast)and the engines sputtered to a stop.Yep,no gas.I had asked my friend before we left if we were topped off and he said "sure,the marina always fills it up when its first dropped in".Luckily we were over a shoal as we might have drifted all the way to Ireland.We were able to snag the anchor and settled in for a long night.One of us brain surgeons found a couple of gallons of year old cheap wine on board and we decided to drink our sorrows away!Big mistake as it was a little rough as well(4 footers).We were huddling above the gas tank in the forward storage area(no cabin on a Baron)and all 4 of us rapidly became so sick we couldnt even make it outside to "hurl".The bilge was filling up rapidly and we werent taking on any water,if you get my drift.Tried to figure out the radio,but were too inebriated and gave up.About six the next morning a couple of fisherman found us.The boat and the four of us smelled so bad that they ran about a hundred feet of line to bring us in.Did we learn anything?Unfortunatly,only to keep the tank full.Didnt learn about the booze until much later.I seem to have it somewhat figured out now,I hope.....just.....smelly......ol red!.....Bill S

MOP
03-16-2003, 10:22 PM
I've been holding out! last spring first run after a good check out in the driveway. We took off to the ramp launched and got ready for our first ride. Took off had a little cavitation but it went away figured green demons, ran ten minutes nice and easy. Then hooked it up, seemed a bit slow. Bonnie hollered out what a hugh rooster tail, I turned my head to see a ten foot high tail. Freaked me out, chopped the throttle raised the drive to find the FLUSHETTE still in place missing one cup. Still feeling silly after an hours prep that morning.

SkiBeeZ71
03-17-2003, 01:23 AM
I guess we all have one of these.

About six years ago, before many of my crew had boats, we used to spend all of our time on a friend's 19 footer. We would be on the water five or six nights a week, so we had the whole ramp process down to a science. Especially when it came to trailering at the end of the night. That maneuver was engineered to perfection, at least until one night.

Normally, one person would back the trailer in, the boat's owner would drive it directly on the trailer and my job was to hook it up and winch it home. Despite my concerns, my friends convinced me over time that the quickest way to do my job was to hang over the bow and crank it on that way. Eventually, I settled in to doing it that way and didn't think anything more of my concerns.

As is the cause for mishaps in many of the previous posts, we had some attractive ladies out with us for the cruise that night and really wanted to put on a show. Everything went according to plan - trailer in water, boat on trailer, boat hooked and was being winched up. Here I am cranking away over the bow when all of a sudden something doesn't feel right. In a flash, I'm suddenly underwater staring at trailer lights, but I'm still holding on to the crank. I had just cranked myself over the bow and into the shallow water. Still holding on to the crank, I burst out of the water and cranked that boat on there like it had never been before, oblivious to the hysterical laughter of my concerned 'friends' (apparently on there so tight they had trouble launching the next day). That was the last time I ever trailered that boat from inside the bow.

To this day, my 'friends' swear that:
<ol type="A"> <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The driver nudged the trailer when he noticed me going over. <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The boat's owner claimed to have goosed the throttle as I was cranking away.[/list=a]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I, however, like to think it was due to my own strength that I was pulled over the bow. :D

GG Donzi
03-17-2003, 08:24 PM
My Dad and I (I was 19 at the time) just put the boat in the water and docked it. We left for town and as we were driving we must have both taken notice of the boat that we were following. It had just left the boat ramp and water was coming from the drain. We asked one another at the same time if the plug was put in. Well by the time we got back the rear of the boat was under water and pulling the dock with it. We pushed it over to the beach and began bailing water. Not the way to start a vacation though we laughed about it for years afterwards. (By the way we never had that problem since) :o

MOP
03-17-2003, 09:24 PM
Thank god you fresh water boys can get away with a dunking, in salt a dunking is deadly.

RPD
03-18-2003, 08:32 PM
But a freshwater near drowning is more deadly than a saltwater one, as I remember. Something to do with lysing blood cells.... I still haven't decided which is worse: gators or sharks.

chucknoonan
03-20-2003, 08:04 PM
Ranman, That is one of the funniest stories I have ever heard.

It takes a huge set of 'clockweights' to post that one.

Fish boy
03-20-2003, 08:13 PM
Hangman, er... Ranman wins. I am dying here laughing so hard.

blue-z
03-21-2003, 08:43 AM
A similar anchor story,

Leaving Puttin Bay with the anchor firmly being dragged for 100 feet or so(seemed like a hundred miles). Picked up the 100 pounds of seaweed after noticing the anchor was out. To the out loud mocking that the numbers were giving me, I took a chunk of salad out, place it upon my bald head and idled out of the docking area... a good comeback..I thought.

BigGrizzly
03-22-2003, 08:17 AM
A couple of years ago a friend and I use to get coffee and go to the launch ramp at Mary Alice Park in the am and watch the boats launch for fun and giggles. Well this day there was an overly abusive and loud husband yelling orders at his wife. I think the words were ”I don’t want your opinions just do what I tell you” Her response was “Ok Captain”. He gets in the new blazer and backs the bass boat down the ramp than jumps out gets in the boat and tells her to “Splash the boat” (this is bass boat talk for backing the boat down another 4/5 feet then hit the brakes hard so the boat slides off the trailer). She says “ but honey” he yells back “just do it”. She backs the boat down and hits bakes and stops and the boat slides off the trailer. He than yells at 130 DB “ GO, GO, GO! She does and about 20 feet later we realize the winch strap is still attached but not locked. Well she keeps going and manages to pull the boat almost all the way to the top of the ramp about 30 feet from the water. We managed to spray the whole inside of Paul’s windshield with coffee from laughter. We never found out how he got the boat back on the trailer

DonzigoJR
03-27-2003, 05:50 PM
About 7 years ago I had a 16 proline cc. The boat was great boat until I sank it. My father and I hooked up the baitwell a little wrong. We connected the brass scoop on the bottom of the boat to some sprinkler pvc.(I hope this doesn't make us complete morons) Needless to say this didn't hold up so well coming across the bay, in a 3ft chop. As the boat came off plain at the end of our canal, it began to make the decent straight to the bottom. The hull was completly full of water and that doesn't help with floatation. Thank God we live close to the end of the canal. Its always nice when you sink close to home.......

David

HyperDonzi
12-30-2003, 02:41 PM
Randy, being in how there are some new members who havent seen this yet, and many of us dont want to see anyone repeat the Kevlar Short Trick, I had to bring this back. It made my day a bit better wink

Tommy

Boatman
12-30-2003, 03:38 PM
At 14 years of age, I went for a night time ride in my Dad's 14' runabout with a 35 Johnson on it. Dark and raining, I brilliantly decided to navigate by the lights on shore... promptly drove the boat full speed into the neighbor's dock, leaving the boat impaled by an 8"x8" dock beam and suspended 4' in the air. Engine fine. No major injuries (well sort of), boat written off.

Next spring, on the maiden voyage of our new boat, dark night, yes... you guessed it...launched it onto shore. Luckily no damage other than much deserved ass kicking from Dad.

Then bought my first boat and never looked back.

DonCig
12-30-2003, 09:16 PM
Randy, I have reached far into my memory banks, trying to recall all that was intentionally forgotten, events that should be forgotten unless the witness was present to discuss, and I can not find one story that will hold a light to your wedgie bow dance!

You are the King, and I will always be your protégé.

I think I will sleep well tonight. All of my stress is gone, I laughed hard!

But, now I remember the story that I hoped to forget. My Boy Scout troop was canoeing down the Current River in Missouri one summer weekend. A good friend of mine (Jimmy Chappel) was floating on a rubber inner tube. We were coming up to a low water bridge/falls. I got to the falls before Jimmy and saw that there was very little water going over the road/bridge. I yelled at Jimmy to not try and float over the falls due to all the rocks on the other side. Just as Jimmy got to within five feet of the bridge, he jumped off of his inner tube and immediately disappeared underwater. It was then that I saw the underwater culvert pipe that went under the road/bridge. Immediately I figured out that he had been sucked into the pipe and hopefully he would shoot out the other side and probably land on the rocks. I turned and watched but no Jimmy. Jimmy’s older brother, J.R., came running up and asked what had happened. When I told him he was just as terrified as I as to what had happened to Jimmie. It was then that we saw Jimmies fingers still latched around the edge of the underwater culvert. He was inside and holding on for his life. J,R, immediately jumped into the water on the up water side of the culvert to try and pull his brother to safety. As soon as J.R. hit the water, he too was sucked into the culvert pipe by the strong current. But with him going in, and bumping into his brother hard enough to break his grip, they both immediately shot out of the downstream side of the bridge/culvert, clearing all of the rocks and landing in the big pool below the bridge. I am happy to say that there were no lacerations, cuts or drownings to discuss. Just two brothers that had both seen the light at the end of the tunnel way to early in life. As for me I gained a greater respect for the power of water and I am very cautious around dams, bridges and waterfalls.

Don

goatee
12-30-2003, 10:54 PM
that almost sounds fun. did they do it again?

goatee
12-30-2003, 11:19 PM
a long time ago at walkers landing, a friend matt and i were jumping off the bridge late one night. when all of the sudden the current changed. the warm bay waters were now cold channel water, and it was moving like i had never seen!!! it was 3 days after a very heavy rain storm. why did it take 3 days? why was it so cold? why am i thinking of doing what i'm thinking of doing?
i decided to test the current speed. matt told me he would tell my family, send flowers to the funeral, the whole bit. i jump, go down about 4 feet. and held my breath as long as i could

goatee
12-30-2003, 11:24 PM
so there i am, 4 feet down, 1 am , zero visibility, freezing. i pop up about 3 cottages down, then cold and out of breath i had to fight the current back to the bridge. luckily by then it started to ease up. i dont know how long it took me..............so next time you go by walkers,,,take a look at the bridge from the 3rd. cottage. ,,,,,,,,, this whole thing will take on a whole new meaning. i'm telling you it was quick!

more testosterone than brains,,,,,goatee

Dalelama
01-03-2004, 09:32 AM
It was 1980... Offshore races off of Miami Beach... S.Baxter & I were in my 12' Archercraft w/75hp Stinger ... manuevering around about 50 big Cig's, Magnums, ect...4-5 rollers comming thru Government Cut.. tried to jump between two swells from a standing start... hit the top of the first one, and 1/2 way down the secound one... a 3' wall of salt water rolled over us and $1000 worth of Nikon & Cannon camera equipment.... nothing damaged, but my ego.

DON N.
01-05-2004, 05:10 PM
AT LAKE GEORGE N.Y. AROUND 1973 JULY, ME AND 3 FRIENDS ON A 23' PENN YAN ARE PARTYING IT UP AT NEPTUNES UNTIL DARK AND THEN DECIDE TO GET A GOOD SPOT ON THE WATER TO WATCH THE MILLION DOLLAR BEACH FIRE WORKS,SO WITH THE SKY DARK WE ARE IDLING THOUGH THE MANY SMALL AND LARGE BOATS ,THE DRIVER OF OUR PENN YAN LOOKS TOWARDS ONE OF THE LARGE CRUISE SHIPS DOCKED AND IN A ROUND PORT HOLE YOU COULD SEE A YOUNG (ABOUT 20 ? ) GIRLS FACE ABOUT LEVEL WITH US STANDING IN THIS PENYAN. THE DRIVER OF THE PENN YAN ANNOUNCES REAL LOUD SHE'S ON THE ****TER,THE REST OF US ARE HOLLERING NO WAY ! SO HE PULLS RIGHT UP TO THE CRUISE SHIP PORT WINDOW ,HE WAS RIGHT . THIS GIRL LOOKS AT US AND MAKES A RAPID EXIT OF THE HEAD. WERE ALL LAUGHING WHEN ONE OF MY FRIENDS TAPS ME ON THE SHOULDER AND POINTS UP,I LOOKED UP AND IT SEEMS LIKE EVER ONE ON BOARD (IT WAS PACKED) WAS LOOKING AS US IDIOTS, I REMEMBER I FELT LIKE A REAL ASS H--- AND MELTING ON THE SPOT.

Voodoocanoe
01-06-2004, 12:46 PM
Goatee, I bet you wouldn't have done that if you knew about the gazillion snakes that live under the gas dock at Walkers Landing, I've seen them slithering up the back of boats when people are refueling. eek! :D