PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for help and new question & surprise

Steve Smith
04-03-2000, 07:09 PM
First, thanks to those who responded about the waterflow problems in my '88 Z-25 (water drained into hull but would not pass through to bilge). I hooked a pressure washer up at the dock and forced water through the drain and a LOT of trash came out. There's still water coming--should take a while.

Before my new problem, let me give free advertisement to the Perko lighting company (madpoodle recommended to Kevin in another post--www.Perko.com. I sent them an e-mail asking for info on how to get a lense for my stern light. Instead of sending me information, they sent me a replacement lense with a very nice NO CHARGE box checked on the invoice. I certainly did not expect a handout and will recommend them to all my friend.

NOW--MY NEW PROBLEM. Saturday, I came zipping into the boat slip, eased the boat into reverse, got no reverse and rammed the end of the dock. Slight cut to front of boat, slight dent in dock, big bruise to back of head where girlfriend smacked me. The engine WILL go into reverse if I help it (open hatch and pull gear forward) but there is too much play in the gear cable.I note that there is an adjustment screw on the cable. Any special precautions before I start experimenting?

By the way, it's a 1998 Z-25 with 1992 454, dual lever throttle.

Sorry for the length. Thanks for any advice. It's going to hit 80 degrees Friday and I'm going back to the lake, even if I have to run a rope back to the engine for emergency reverses.

------------------
Steve Smith
Cullman, AL
scsmith@hiwaay.net

RickR,GroveCity
04-03-2000, 07:40 PM
Steve
Alpha or Bravo?
There is a sequence to the adjustments you make to the cables.
Your best bet is to buy a manual and follow the instructions. Boat US and West Marine have them.
After you make preliminary adjustments at home do some fine tuning with the boat in the water. The gears and clutch behave differently when they are under load. (Especially the Alpha)
Correct cable adjustment will greatly extend the life of the clutch.

------------------
RickR mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

RickR,GroveCity
04-04-2000, 10:19 AM
Steve
With a Bravo the adjustment is not as critical.
The Bravo has a brass cone clutch which is threaded. When the clutch touches the cone it cinches itself up.
It the adjustment does not help you may want to check gear lube.

------------------
RickR mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>