PDA

View Full Version : K&N Filters

clayman
01-28-2002, 02:17 PM
I called K&N today and talked to one of there tech guys and asked him about there marine filters. He said, and I quote "there is no difference between our automotive and marine filters and housings, it is just that the housing we sell as marine have gone through the USCG approval process" So , anyone have some letter dies I can borrow to stamp my custom aluminum housing? They claim there filter will add power over the stock arrestor or running without anything on the carb, something to do with circulating the air.
James

MOP
01-28-2002, 04:42 PM
Hi I did the same thing, then I spoke to my local CG office. They say no markings NO GOOD, the unit must display the aproval of the CG. I being a boat mech for to many years acn tell just by looking the K&N's are as good if not better at arresting spark as the tin wafer style. I think K&N needs a bunch of E-Mail to get off their bottoms on this one.

Phil / Long Island

Greg
01-28-2002, 05:39 PM
I am glad you guys brought this up as I am considering a K&N flame arrester, and getting ready to buy one soon. According to the info in Dennis Moore's book: Small Block Chevy Marine Performance Info on pg. 170 is: "The finest marine flame arrestor available is the K&N flame arrestor/air filter. Because of the pleated design of the element, these flame arrestors flow more air with less restriction than anything else on the market. If your boat is inspected by the U.S. Coast Guard, the flame arrester must have a marine SAE J1928 approval stamped into the base on the K&N filter. An Added benefit of the K&N flame arrester is that with the K&N air filter cleaner and K&N air filter oil they can be cleaned and will last the life of the boat." Just my .02

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
01-28-2002, 05:39 PM
We just finished a HUGE thread on this very topic on OSO. Here is what I know for fact.
The element itself is stamped (on the rubber part), direct from K&N, just looked at one last week.
Mine is the Vortec alum holder and my K&N element is also stamped, plus Livorsi, Gaffrig, Arizona Speed etc all specify the they are USGC approved in many many magazines.

I have had several safety inspections by the CG here in VA and not once was there ever a question about a flame arrestor. The engine hatch was only opened if he could not hear the blower or if he needed to see the tag on a halon bottle for it to count as one of the 2 required systems above 26 feet.

Note, the big rectangle ones often drag the linkage on a 502MAG, I lived it, easy fix though.

I would buy one from someone who advertises the approval and not worry about it.
Just my 2 cents.
Bryan

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
01-28-2002, 07:28 PM
Greg, I agree, I got my cleaner kit at Advance Auto for $10.
Bryan

clayman
01-28-2002, 10:30 PM
Bryan, was that $10 K&N stamped? Does anyone have a pic they can post of this stamp in the filter? I'm sure I can replicate it on mine since I already bought the housing and the filter.
James

clayman
01-28-2002, 10:31 PM
Bryan, was that $10 K&N stamped? Does anyone have a pic they can post of this stamp in the filter? I'm sure I can replicate it on mine since I already bought the housing and the filter.
James biggrin.gif

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
01-29-2002, 04:45 AM
The cleaning kit was $10, the big K&N element is about $100 and the alum holder a bit more. They run anywhere from two to three hundred bucks total.
Bryan

clayman
01-29-2002, 08:29 AM
I thought 10 was a little cheap for a K$N , I bought all my stuff at the Turkey rod run in Daytona. Could someone please post a pic of the correct stamps on the filter and the housing. this would help clarify things.
Thanks
james

MOP
01-29-2002, 09:53 PM
Hi has anyone speced out a 302 in a 16 for a K&N?

Phil / Long Island