PDA

View Full Version : A couple of Cumberland questions...

Ranman
05-03-2002, 02:36 PM
1) Is there a place to get a map of the lake? Would like to know places to avoid, dangerous areas etc... New waters make me nervous.

2) Is there an "official" speed limit on the lake? What are the safety requirements (vests, horn, fire ex, flares, etc...? Similar to Michigan I would assume. I would not want to get caught without some requirement.

3) What are the official drinking laws for Kentucky and Jamestown? I know it's a dry county, but can I bring my own sodas? Are open sodas on the boat OK? On land? What if the boat is underway? How about in public? Michigan is very liberal and I don't want to get in trouble with the Fuzz over laws I was unaware of.

4) Any other pertinent information an outsider should know?

As always, thanks and see you next week! Randy

Bandit
05-03-2002, 03:54 PM
Randy,

1) I'm working on getting some tourism bags to handout which might have a map. If not, the marina will have one. This time of year there's not much to look out for except logs. The lake is very deep and what you see on the banks is how it continues into the water, very steep. If you make the run to Connely Bottom, there's one spot around Camp Earl Wallace that gets shallow, so don't hug that bank.

2) WOT!!! No speed limit except for the no wake zones. I'd say your covered on safety requirements if you're following MI's law.

3) The entire lake is surrounded by dry counties, so that's what the water patrol enforces. They are usually easy on this issue as long as you're not out of control. I recommend keeping beer in a huggy or cup and just don't be flashing it around and you'll be OK. If you visit 76 Falls during the main season, lets say on 4th of July, there are no rules because there's just too many people bonging beer, getting naked, etc.

4) Lets see...other requirements... YOU MUST HAVE FUN!!! :D

Formula Jr
05-03-2002, 07:57 PM
State Dock has free maps with GPS coordinates.

As far as I could tell, there are no shoals.
Open drinking, ie, budwiezer can in hand, is a no no. And there is enforcement present at the public launch sites at dusk.

The speed limit on the lake is 180,000 Miles Per Second or there abouts.....

Tomahawk
05-04-2002, 12:19 AM
Frieda at Jamestown Resort asks that, if you want to drink a beer in public areas, cover the can with a (Donzi) can cover. Just be cool about it. :cool:
I found lake maps at Bass Pro Shop. Area fishing stores and convenience stores are sure to have them too.

Bandit
05-08-2002, 11:09 AM
Update on Map of Lake Cumberland:

Russell Co. Tourism Dept. is suppose to include maps of Lake Cumberland. There will be 50 bags which Scott B. will have to handout during registration.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
05-08-2002, 11:24 AM
Scott B will have maps for every one, I copied the one from last year and mailed him 40 copies.
Bryan