PDA

View Full Version : Question for the gearheads

DonziDave
05-03-2002, 02:33 PM
I have a friend with an old restored Chris Craft speedboat with the original (rebuilt) Hercules engine. He would like to update the electrics to make it more reliable. Do any of you know of a source for a "pointless" electronic ignition conversion for his motor? He also wants to dump the generator and convert to an alternator. Any suggestions?
Thanks - Dave

MOP
05-03-2002, 07:48 PM
Hi not sure if you can still find the point triggerd electronic ignition that most all of the companies use to make (kinda dating myself) this stuff was the rage late 50's and early 60's. Try a couple of 800 calls maybe some of the new systems can still use the points as a trigger. The points never go bad just need to be regapped once and awhile.

bigman
05-03-2002, 09:30 PM
Donzi Dave,I don't know if it helps,I get a magazine called Classic Boating.It has classifieds in it. It is all about older wooden boats. 1-262-567-4800 phone.They list a place called Van Ness Engineering N.J. 1-201-445-8685. Sounds like they could help you.If that doesn't work pick up the Mag. some where,it has some other adds.Its a pretty good magazine too. Good Luck Bigman

Rootsy
05-03-2002, 09:50 PM
Replacing a generator with an alternator isn't too difficult a task.... going to a single wire delco with an internal voltage regulator is probably the easiest...

as for an electronic ignition conversion try

http://www.pertronix.com/ignition/ignitor_ii/index.htm

Gearhead99
05-04-2002, 05:06 PM
I too have a restored Chris-Craft with a Hercules engine.

The update to an alternator is fairly straight forward. But, on my engine I installed a 12 volt generator instead. Looks original. It has a cut out relay.

Getting rid of the points is something different. If the Herc. is a "K, KL, KBL, KCL, etc" and has the small dist. Believe me when I say small. The condensor doesn't fit under the cap it's so small. There isn't any Pertronx kit that will fit. I have heard and am going to find out for myself. You can trigger a MSD with points. True you're not getting rid of the points, but you are getting the benefit of CD spark.

There is a larger dist. that will fit the Herc. engine.