PDA

View Full Version : Installed steering helmet, looking good!

JimG
03-03-2003, 10:39 AM
I found a good used Volvo steering helmet and installed it on the yellow Donzi Sunday night. That took about 50% of the steering play out. Now I’m tracking down the rest. It appears that there’s a lot of play in the steering arm itself. I can see it move at the junction at least ¼ inch before the outdrive starts to move. Is there a way to tighten that?

Then the rest appears to be in the Teleflex helm itself. Is there an adjustment? I’d really like to retain the original steering helm.

Thanks guys!!

JimG

AVickers
03-03-2003, 11:35 AM
Pinchbolt on the tiller can be tightened. Also, there are a couple of bushings and a seal on the yoke that might need to be replaced. Did you check the bushings on the yoke and helmet? Replacing these and using new pins will also tighten things up a bit.

As for the steering cable, it's a POS. Putting a new helm/cable assembly in will tighten things up a bit, but the new assemblies aren't rated for the HP in your boat. Take a look at Kieth's new/old boat when he picks it up and, if it's been maintained, I think you'll see that it's a better setup...

<small>[ March 03, 2003, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: AVickers ]</small>

JimG
03-03-2003, 12:51 PM
Thanks Al! I'll check Keith's boat out when he drags it back from Eskimo Country. I read all your old posts on your hyd steering system. Sounds sweet.

I replaced the pins, and made sure everything was fitting tight to the yoke. It feels pretty good. I'll tighten the pinch bolt and see if that helps.

Thanks a ton!

JimG